what do you play + listen to most?

Off-Topic Discussions. Read the Sticky before posting.

Moderators: Kevio, ElfDude, JesseM, RockCrue, soundchick, ChrisH, peb, Mike Jones, Bundy

Anomalocaria

what do you play + listen to most?

Postby Anomalocaria » Tue Mar 12, 2019 11:16 pm

i'm new 'round here and i reckon i might stick around. i wanted to get a feel for what the general tastes in music Kiesel/Carven players had. the only guitarists i've known so far to use Kiesel instruments were djent musicians, but i'm sure they work great for other genres.

doesn't necessarily have to be strings related if you're into other genres.

i'm a djent/deathcore gal myself. grew up on heavy metal/hair metal/numetal. started playing in JRock/VK on bass, dabbled in metalcore, and i enjoy a bit of trap/EDM on the side.

spudmunkey
Elite Carvinite
Elite Carvinite

Re: what do you play + listen to most?

Postby spudmunkey » Tue Mar 12, 2019 11:27 pm

Welcome!

I've been replaying my high school and shortly thereafter days a lot lately...a lot of NIN, KMFDM, Sister Machine Gun, 90's Megadeth, Morphine, Portishead, etc.

Anomalocaria

Postby Anomalocaria » Tue Mar 12, 2019 11:40 pm

i used to love industrial music. i don't know what happened, i got halfway through the first volume of Rosetta stone because of KMFDM, Das Ich, Wumpscut, and Rammstein. i wonder why they had such a fruitful market for that genre of music.

i was pretty heavy into NIN as well, but the only other American industrial-esque bands i know of are aggrotech bands. Combichrist and Psyclon Nine

HarlowTheFish
Gold Member
Gold Member

Postby HarlowTheFish » Wed Mar 13, 2019 7:58 am

I grew up on Queen and GnR, then I got into Iron Maiden, then I discovered power metal when I was a kid. Mostly listened to a lot of MCR and metalcore/hardcore during high school. Since discovering Periphery and Polyphia I've gotten more into prog and that whole guitary-instru-metal kinda thing. I listen to and play a lot of that, those kinda technical, kinda punk, kinda hipster bands (I've heard it called Midwestern Emo and Hipstercore :lol: ) and Jazz that I picked up as a freshman in college.

Welcome to the forum, by the way!

ElfDude

Postby ElfDude » Wed Mar 13, 2019 10:42 am

What I listen to and what I play are two different things.

My favorite stuff to listen to is the classic prog... YES, Genesis, Pink Floyd, Mike Oldfield, Rush, etc.

But I'm not good enough to play that stuff, so in my bands I mostly play oldies and classic rock.

The crossover is The Beatles. I both listen to and play The Beatles. :)
Aries A6H, CS6M, SH445, Contour 66, AE185, DC135, CT4M, Bolt, SH225, LB76F, Nomad, VT16 Head, V410, Pro Bass 100
Midlife Crisis on Facebook
The Tri-Chevys on Facebook

Brock
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Postby Brock » Wed Mar 13, 2019 5:43 pm

Lately I've been listening to some cover bands - The Classic Rock Show and Rumours of Fleetwood Mac.

gumbynotpokey
Elite Carvinite
Elite Carvinite

Postby gumbynotpokey » Fri Mar 15, 2019 6:43 pm

Anomalocaria wrote:...the only guitarists i've known...

guitarists? LOL

As to your question, there's this thread:
viewtopic.php?f=22&t=47296

For me it's mainly Miles, Coltrane, Cannonball, Bill Evans, Jim Hall, Joe Pass, etc from about 57-61.
Wife: C350, Claro top SH550, Vintage 16
Oldest: DC400M greenburst, C980TMW
Youngest: C750, GK1, CT624M Deep Black Cherry on flame, V3MC Celestion,
SH550 white/white, black binding, gold hardware
Me: LB70P jet black, LB70PF Claro BEM HAN, MB 10

Doctor Doug
Gold Carvinite
Gold Carvinite
Links/Contact:

Postby Doctor Doug » Sun Mar 17, 2019 4:27 pm

I play punk/rock/metal.
I listen to almost everything.
facebook.com/hamfistrocks

UnexplodedCow
Gold Carvinite
Gold Carvinite

Postby UnexplodedCow » Mon Mar 18, 2019 5:07 pm

Hmmm.

I listen to a lot of things, across the board, and it's been broadening over the years, mostly from being bored with the "same old" stuff I've had since a teen.

It ranges from old style rock (Buddy Holly, The Ventures et al.), Motown, some 70s rock, a bit of 80s shred/metal, and a whole bunch of 90s/2000s metal/hardcore. Little bit of electronica/8-bit, and I've started going back to the "classical" stuff, more late baroque and classical era, with a touch of 20th century (Holst, for instance). Follow that up with guitar virtuoso types for instrumental shreddy/bluesy stuff.

Can I play all that? Nope. My style seems to range mostly in a prog-rock style for guitar, and I've been learning more slap/funk stuff on bass, and more wide range scales (which is influencing guitar as well). I'm most comfortable as a melody player on guitar (sometimes called "lead" which is a fallacy; it's fills and thrills).
We are entitled to our own, wrong, opinions.

Guitar theorem: G=X+1 where G= guitars one needs, and X = guitars one has.

Do or do not; there is no understand.

Return to The Backstage Lounge