Live Stream Updates

Post Pictures of Your Kiesel Guitars / Carvin Guitars Gear - No Cowbelling!

Moderators: Kevio, ElfDude, JesseM, RockCrue, soundchick, ChrisH, peb, Mike Jones, Bundy

spudmunkey
Elite Carvinite
Elite Carvinite

Re: Live Stream Updates

Postby spudmunkey » Wed Feb 12, 2020 3:14 pm

*laughs* Apparently Gibson sent Carvin a cease-and-decist letter about the UltraV years ago. They apologized and pulled it back...but then sent one to Kiesel for the same thing. :lol:

He's online right now, drawing lines on an unfinished Type X, to cut off the "horns" on the band saw to make it a "Type V" in celebration, in addition to the $150 off for president's day. ha!

helldorado
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Postby helldorado » Wed Feb 12, 2020 7:43 pm

spudmunkey wrote:*laughs* Apparently Gibson sent Carvin a cease-and-decist letter about the UltraV years ago. They apologized and pulled it back...but then sent one to Kiesel for the same thing. :lol:

He's online right now, drawing lines on an unfinished Type X, to cut off the "horns" on the band saw to make it a "Type V" in celebration, in addition to the $150 off for president's day. ha!

I was wondering what happened that all the fanboys were awfully triggered and going on about Gibson.

I just usually like to read the comments seeing the kids complain about the boomers and others showing how little they know about the industry in general. :lol:

Quivering Wrist
Gold Member
Gold Member

Postby Quivering Wrist » Fri Feb 14, 2020 8:39 am

Aries has a free case if you order now and free roasted neck and fingerboard and free slim neck.

You can get all of this for under $1200. try to find any other guitar maker who sells with stainless steel frets for $1200 and you might only find one. Kiesel..

Toptube
Gold Carvinite
Gold Carvinite

Postby Toptube » Wed Feb 19, 2020 3:16 pm

I've tried to ask this question a few times on different live streams and finally got it answered:

"can you guys offer Hipshot Ultra Lite tuners on basses?"

and Jeff said no, they cannot.

spudmunkey
Elite Carvinite
Elite Carvinite

Postby spudmunkey » Wed Feb 19, 2020 3:59 pm

I wonder if the holes are the same size?

When it comes to non-standard hardware, (customer supplied) switches and D-tuna seem to be the extent they are willing to go.

Toptube
Gold Carvinite
Gold Carvinite

Postby Toptube » Wed Feb 19, 2020 4:58 pm

spudmunkey wrote:I wonder if the holes are the same size?

When it comes to non-standard hardware, (customer supplied) switches and D-tuna seem to be the extent they are willing to go.

Yeah, Gotoh res-o-lites might be more directly compatible. But I figure I should ask about hipshots, because they are American and Kiesel already has other hardware from them.

spudmunkey
Elite Carvinite
Elite Carvinite

Postby spudmunkey » Wed Mar 04, 2020 3:27 pm

Apparently they currently have 6 double-necks in-progress at the moment.

Just thought that was interesting and worth sharing. :think:

Carvin used to dye ebony fretboards, but stopped in 2013.

wickid
Platinum Carvinite
Platinum Carvinite
Links/Contact:

Postby wickid » Thu Mar 05, 2020 9:17 am

spudmunkey wrote:...Carvin used to dye ebony fretboards, but stopped in 2013.

There was a big to-do about that back in the day, and nobody stopped by to give any deets. Not that it matters, all's well.
Proud Carvin owner since 1985! My Carvin gear time capsule...

Dont miss the purple CT6!
(Any photobucket links are probably now broken. Grrrrrr!!!)

Toptube
Gold Carvinite
Gold Carvinite

Postby Toptube » Sat Mar 14, 2020 9:21 pm

Someone threw out money so now you can get a Type X bass

spudmunkey
Elite Carvinite
Elite Carvinite

Postby spudmunkey » Sat Mar 14, 2020 10:08 pm

Toptube wrote:Someone threw out money so now you can get a Type X bass

Sort of...I wasnt listening closely at the time, but I though Jeff said it wasn't going to be made availble.

Screenshot_20200313-133237_Instagram.jpg
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post. Please REGISTER or LOG IN.

Toptube
Gold Carvinite
Gold Carvinite

Postby Toptube » Sun Mar 15, 2020 11:09 am

spudmunkey wrote:

Sort of...I wasnt listening closely at the time, but I though Jeff said it wasn't going to be made availble.

Well they don't really "offer" the solo bass, either. Yet they have a full suite of products for it.

I bet $2 if you called and asked for a Type X bass, you could buy one.

Toptube
Gold Carvinite
Gold Carvinite

Postby Toptube » Sun Mar 15, 2020 11:10 am

Jeff should just make a couple for the in-stock page.

Sunset
Gold Member
Gold Member

Postby Sunset » Sun Mar 15, 2020 12:51 pm

Toptube wrote:
spudmunkey wrote:

Well they don't really "offer" the solo bass, either. Yet they have a full suite of products for it.

I bet $2 if you called and asked for a Type X bass, you could buy one.

Agreed. But the buy in will be a helluva bunch more than $2

That’s one of the beautiful things about Kiesel imo. You can have almost anything you want, you just gotta pony up the dough.

Money talks, and something something...

spudmunkey
Elite Carvinite
Elite Carvinite

Postby spudmunkey » Tue Mar 31, 2020 3:33 pm

Apparently, Kiesel currently has some Monkeypod on hand for tops. No idea on how much they have, or how much it'll cost. Some flamed mahogany for bodies, also.

mbardu
Gold Carvinite
Gold Carvinite

Postby mbardu » Tue Mar 31, 2020 4:36 pm

spudmunkey wrote:Apparently, Kiesel currently has some Monkeypod on hand for tops. No idea on how much they have, or how much it'll cost. Some flamed mahogany for bodies, also.

I had no idea Monkeypod was a thing.
Still waiting for them to find a way to get some Douglas fir that would be hard enough for their standards on a solidbody and that would be a day 0 order for me. I'd charge the credit card first and think of a way to repay later.

I mean just look at it...wouldn't that be awesome?

spudmunkey
Elite Carvinite
Elite Carvinite

Postby spudmunkey » Tue Mar 31, 2020 5:11 pm

mbardu wrote:
spudmunkey wrote:Apparently, Kiesel currently has some Monkeypod on hand for tops. No idea on how much they have, or how much it'll cost. Some flamed mahogany for bodies, also.

I had no idea Monkeypod was a thing.
Still waiting for them to find a way to get some Douglas fir that would be hard enough for their standards on a solidbody and that would be a day 0 order for me. I'd charge the credit card first and think of a way to repay later.

I mean just look at it...wouldn't that be awesome?

I've worked on two 1000+ person office projects (one was 4 floors, and another was 6 floors) where the majority of the interior walls and the reception desk were clad in doug fir veneered plywood, and also installed about 850sqft of new doug fit veneered plywood subfloor in my home, from 3 different suppliers...and i've never seen a piece with figuring like that. :shock: That's pretty cool.

mbardu
Gold Carvinite
Gold Carvinite

Postby mbardu » Tue Mar 31, 2020 5:16 pm

spudmunkey wrote:I've worked on two 1000+ person office projects (one was 4 floors, and another was 6 floors) where the majority of the interior walls and the reception desk were clad in doug fir veneered plywood, and also installed about 850sqft of new doug fit veneered plywood subfloor in my home, from 3 different suppliers...and i've never seen a piece with figuring like that. :shock: That's pretty cool.

Would you say it really is too soft for a guitar top?
I don't know much, but I heard it was pretty much the hardest fir.

spudmunkey
Elite Carvinite
Elite Carvinite

Postby spudmunkey » Tue Mar 31, 2020 5:21 pm

mbardu wrote:
spudmunkey wrote:I've worked on two 1000+ person office projects (one was 4 floors, and another was 6 floors) where the majority of the interior walls and the reception desk were clad in doug fir veneered plywood, and also installed about 850sqft of new doug fit veneered plywood subfloor in my home, from 3 different suppliers...and i've never seen a piece with figuring like that. :shock: That's pretty cool.

Would you say it really is too soft for a guitar top?
I don't know much, but I heard it was pretty much the hardest fir.

Sorry, besides construction-grade 2x4s, my only experience is with paper-thin veneered plywood.

spudmunkey
Elite Carvinite
Elite Carvinite

Postby spudmunkey » Wed Apr 01, 2020 4:44 pm

The headless head pieces have transitioned from being attached with wood screws, to having threaded inserts and machine screws. I imagine it's muuuuuuuch easier to do warranty repairs with threaded inserts there, rather than wood screws into end-grain!

Toptube
Gold Carvinite
Gold Carvinite

Postby Toptube » Wed Apr 01, 2020 8:11 pm

spudmunkey wrote:The headless head pieces have transitioned from being attached with wood screws, to having threaded inserts and machine screws. I imagine it's muuuuuuuch easier to do warranty repairs with threaded inserts there, rather than wood screws into end-grain!

Cool!
now they should do inserts for the bolt-on necks!

Return to Kiesel Guitars / Carvin Guitars Photo Gallery