Weight approximation

Advice and tips on building a Carvin Guitars kit.

Moderators: Kevio, ElfDude, JesseM, RockCrue, soundchick, ChrisH, peb, Mike Jones, Bundy

._._wow.__

Weight approximation

Postby ._._wow.__ » Tue Jul 02, 2019 8:04 pm

I was curious if you guys could help me get an approximate weight. I've been thinking about ordering a 6 string icon neck-through bass and was going to use a walnut body with purple heart top and a 5 peice walnut and purple heart neck. I dont know exactly how heavy this will weigh and i dont generally like overly heavy Instruments. Ive attached an image with all the specks i was looking at.

Screenshot_2019-07-01-09-17-20.png
tty
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

HarlowTheFish
Carvinite
Carvinite

Re: Weight approximation

Postby HarlowTheFish » Tue Jul 02, 2019 8:56 pm

._._wow.__ wrote:I was curious if you guys could help me get an approximate weight. I've been thinking about ordering a 6 string icon neck-through bass and was going to use a walnut body with purple heart top and a 5 peice walnut and purple heart neck. I dont know exactly how heavy this will weigh and i dont generally like overly heavy Instruments. Ive attached an image with all the specks i was looking at.

Screenshot_2019-07-01-09-17-20.pngtty

I couldn't tell you like an ~ish weight in pounds, but those are all woods on the heavier side of what Kiesel offers. Walnut in my experience is just a little heavier than maple, and purpleheart a little heavier than walnut. You could try asking for lighter pieces, but A) that'd be an upcharge and B) I've found that getting wood that's either much lighter or heavier than average leads to instruments that are acoustically either dull (too heavy) or spongy (too light). This sounds like a killer bass, it's just probably gonna be a little on the heavy side.

spudmunkey
Elite Carvinite
Elite Carvinite

Postby spudmunkey » Tue Jul 02, 2019 10:48 pm

Here is a 5-string at 10.5, which is lighter than I would have thought.

https://www.kieselguitars.com/guitars-in-stock/117919

._._wow.__

Postby ._._wow.__ » Wed Jul 03, 2019 6:08 am

HarlowTheFish wrote:
._._wow.__ wrote:I was curious if you guys could help me get an approximate weight. I've been thinking about ordering a 6 string icon neck-through bass and was going to use a walnut body with purple heart top and a 5 peice walnut and purple heart neck. I dont know exactly how heavy this will weigh and i dont generally like overly heavy Instruments. Ive attached an image with all the specks i was looking at.

Screenshot_2019-07-01-09-17-20.pngtty

I couldn't tell you like an ~ish weight in pounds, but those are all woods on the heavier side of what Kiesel offers. Walnut in my experience is just a little heavier than maple, and purpleheart a little heavier than walnut. You could try asking for lighter pieces, but A) that'd be an upcharge and B) I've found that getting wood that's either much lighter or heavier than average leads to instruments that are acoustically either dull (too heavy) or spongy (too light). This sounds like a killer bass, it's just probably gonna be a little on the heavy side.

Ok thats what I was thinking, im not like extremely worried about resonance and stuff so i might do that. Thanks

._._wow.__

Postby ._._wow.__ » Wed Jul 03, 2019 6:10 am

spudmunkey wrote:Here is a 5-string at 10.5, which is lighter than I would have thought.

https://www.kieselguitars.com/guitars-in-stock/117919

Thats way lighter than i would've thought, i wonder if they asked for lighter pieces or if thats how it always is. Thank you

Omsong
Carvinite
Carvinite

Postby Omsong » Fri Aug 16, 2019 11:16 am

This thread might help: Wood Specs
Ichi on Jobutsu (Enlightenment in one tone.)

Kiesel
- '17 Fatboy, Deep Lava Flame
Past tense
- '02 Fatboy; '04 CT6M; '07 Fatboy; '11 Bolt+

Return to Builder's Forum