Multi scale or full 27” for first seven.

Discussion About Other Gear Brands

Moderators: Kevio, ElfDude, JesseM, RockCrue, soundchick, ChrisH, peb, Mike Jones, Bundy

Sparky131
Platinum Member
Platinum Member
Links/Contact:

Multi scale or full 27” for first seven.

Postby Sparky131 » Sun Oct 27, 2019 1:44 pm

I tried a multiscale legator at GC and fell in love, looking at picking one up. Never owned, and barely played, a seven string. Will the multiscale be a pain to learn for someone new to extended range guitars? Would the 27” be more familiar?

Edit: Or for the sake of playing it safe, should I look into a used Ibanez to see if I’d even enjoy it?
Guitars:
1992 DC127
2016 DC127
1993 Ibanez SR890

Amps:
Jet City JCA22H
Orange Micro Terror
Orange PPC112 Cab

HarlowTheFish
Carvinite
Carvinite

Re: Multi scale or full 27” for first seven.

Postby HarlowTheFish » Sun Oct 27, 2019 2:50 pm

Multiscale gets weird in a couple of contexts:

When you're using the same chord shapes as a straight-scale from muscle memory (takes a bit of time to relearn)
When you're trying to play licks from muscle-memory on the lowest or highest frets

If you approach it as a new instrument that uses the same principles as the ones you already play, it'll be easy. If you pick it up and try to play the exact same way you did before (and doubly so if this is your first 7-string) you're gonna have a bad time.

The Kiesel fan is pretty manageable for someone who's not too familiar with them, and especially if you're tuning lower (like on a 7-string with the low B), multiscale is a really great way to get balanced tone and playability across all the strings. The Ibanez fan is kinda weirdly laid out (25.5-27" but with a parallel 12th fret) and IMO really awkward to play on.

My $0.02 is go for the multiscale, especially if it's your first 7, so you don't have to learn how to work with it twice.

Brian Johnston
Carvinite
Carvinite

Postby Brian Johnston » Mon Oct 28, 2019 9:15 am

I had a Vader 7 string multi. It took me about an hour to get used to it.

amispy
Carvinite
Carvinite

Postby amispy » Sat Nov 02, 2019 10:52 am

I have a D7X (27" DC700 non-multiscale). If I could do it again, I'd get the multi-scale instead. I have small hands and the 27" scale gives me hand cramps if I play for too long.

My observations:
+ I found it felt better in the higher frets: 15 and above. Gave me more room between frets for my fingers.
+ Felt strange to me in the lower range: frets 1-5. Seemed to make me stretch too much, hence the cramping.
+ I didn't notice any difference in feel between frets 6 - 12.
+ Sound wise, it has a more chimey, bell-like attack to the notes than my other 25" Carvin/Kiesel guitars. Funny thing is, I actually prefer this guitar for clean tones even though I got it with the intention of it being a mean metal machine.
AE185, 2 x A6H, AB5, Bolt, Cobalt 750T, DC200T, 2 x DC7X, D6H, 2 x D6X, JB200C, JH6, LB75, PB5, V220M, KV6X, 2 x V59K

Sunset

Postby Sunset » Sat Nov 02, 2019 11:46 am

amispy wrote:I have a D7X (27" DC700 non-multiscale).If I could do it again, I'd get the multi-scale instead. I have small hands and the 27" scale gives me hand cramps if I play for too long.

My observations:
+ I found it felt better in the higher frets: 15 and above. Gave me more room between frets for my fingers.
+ Felt strange to me in the lower range: frets 1-5. Seemed to make me stretch too much, hence the cramping.
+ Sound wise, it has a more chimey, bell-like attack to the notes than my other 25" Carvin/Kiesel guitars. Funny thing is, I actually prefer this guitar for clean tones even though I got it with the intention of it being a mean metal machine.

I’ve had the exact same experience. I think both the lithium neck and bridge split beautifully and sound great with clean signal.

Sparky: If you fell in love with a multi-scale legator 7, then why not go for it? If it was a 6 you might note that the 7 and 8 string instruments generally have a more extreme fan than the 6

Sparky131
Platinum Member
Platinum Member
Links/Contact:

Postby Sparky131 » Sat Nov 09, 2019 11:56 am

Sunset wrote:
amispy wrote:I have a D7X (27" DC700 non-multiscale).If I could do it again, I'd get the multi-scale instead. I have small hands and the 27" scale gives me hand cramps if I play for too long.

My observations:

I’ve had the exact same experience. I think both the lithium neck and bridge split beautifully and sound great with clean signal.

Sparky: If you fell in love with a multi-scale legator 7, then why not go for it? If it was a 6 you might note that the 7 and 8 string instruments generally have a more extreme fan than the 6

So I took the plunge and bought one directly from Legator that was on clearance/b-stock. Just came in last night, killer guitar.

Hands cramp up a little playing chords on the lower strings, but it’s not a huge issue. Body style reminds me of an Ibanez S which I love. Only issue is the low B seems a bit farty and muddy - been debating on pickups for replacing the stock ones.
Guitars:
1992 DC127
2016 DC127
1993 Ibanez SR890

Amps:
Jet City JCA22H
Orange Micro Terror
Orange PPC112 Cab

HarlowTheFish
Carvinite
Carvinite

Postby HarlowTheFish » Sat Nov 09, 2019 12:11 pm

Sparky131 wrote:
Sunset wrote:

My observations:

So I took the plunge and bought one directly from Legator that was on clearance/b-stock. Just came in last night, killer guitar.

Hands cramp up a little playing chords on the lower strings, but it’s not a huge issue. Body style reminds me of an Ibanez S which I love. Only issue is the low B seems a bit farty and muddy - been debating on pickups for replacing the stock ones.

If it's got soapbars the cheapest swap is probably to EMGs, Blackouts, or Fishman Fluence - I'm a pretty big fan of the Tosin Abasi Fluence set, especially with lower tunings. Bare Knuckle does soapbars, but that's $$$ and you should get one of the blade models (Blackhawk or Impulse) to get even string output. There's the Lace Alumitone stuff but they're very polarizing.

If it's got passives then you'll need to measure it out and get a quote from a custom winder - Bare Knuckle does those, Lundgren used to/still might, and The Guitarmory definitely does too. Seymour Duncan can, but they charge out the butt for those ($200 extra per set plus the custom shop cost of your pickup last time I checked, so almost $500 when I was asking for my Kiesel 6).

Brian Johnston
Carvinite
Carvinite

Postby Brian Johnston » Sun Nov 10, 2019 4:28 am

Often getting a clean sounding low B has to do with your EQ... along with not using too much gain/distortion... and using a noise gate to keep it sounding 'tight.' I have different 7 and 8 strings and I found that true with all of them except one (and the pickups are somewhat thin sounding passives).

Sparky131
Platinum Member
Platinum Member
Links/Contact:

Postby Sparky131 » Sun Nov 10, 2019 12:05 pm

HarlowTheFish wrote:
Sparky131 wrote:
Sunset wrote:

My observations:

If it's got soapbars the cheapest swap is probably to EMGs, Blackouts, or Fishman Fluence - I'm a pretty big fan of the Tosin Abasi Fluence set, especially with lower tunings. Bare Knuckle does soapbars, but that's $$$ and you should get one of the blade models (Blackhawk or Impulse) to get even string output. There's the Lace Alumitone stuff but they're very polarizing.

If it's got passives then you'll need to measure it out and get a quote from a custom winder - Bare Knuckle does those, Lundgren used to/still might, and The Guitarmory definitely does too. Seymour Duncan can, but they charge out the butt for those ($200 extra per set plus the custom shop cost of your pickup last time I checked, so almost $500 when I was asking for my Kiesel 6).

Looks like passives - they’re uncovered at least. Might replace them with Lithium’s if I can, but that’s future me’s problem.
Guitars:
1992 DC127
2016 DC127
1993 Ibanez SR890

Amps:
Jet City JCA22H
Orange Micro Terror
Orange PPC112 Cab

Sparky131
Platinum Member
Platinum Member
Links/Contact:

Postby Sparky131 » Sun Nov 10, 2019 2:25 pm

Brian Johnston wrote:Often getting a clean sounding low B has to do with your EQ... along with not using too much gain/distortion... and using a noise gate to keep it sounding 'tight.' I have different 7 and 8 strings and I found that true with all of them except one (and the pickups are somewhat thin sounding passives).

Could be the amp too. I use a Jet City 22H into a torpedo captor running impulses and I'm thinking that just can't handle the lower tunings. Go straight in with an amp sim that I use for tracking guitar DI and it sounds fine. Maybe I should convince the wife I need a new amp now... :stir: :lol:
Guitars:
1992 DC127
2016 DC127
1993 Ibanez SR890

Amps:
Jet City JCA22H
Orange Micro Terror
Orange PPC112 Cab

HarlowTheFish
Carvinite
Carvinite

Postby HarlowTheFish » Sun Nov 10, 2019 2:30 pm

Do you use a boost with it? I've heard them sound pretty good at drop A, but it really needs a TS or something similar.

Sparky131
Platinum Member
Platinum Member
Links/Contact:

Postby Sparky131 » Sun Nov 10, 2019 5:30 pm

Joyo Vintage OD. Cheap TS knockoff, but it’s got the job done for me for a while. I have one of their Tauren pedals lying around, gonna check that out and see what kind of results I get.
Guitars:
1992 DC127
2016 DC127
1993 Ibanez SR890

Amps:
Jet City JCA22H
Orange Micro Terror
Orange PPC112 Cab

Brian Johnston
Carvinite
Carvinite

Postby Brian Johnston » Mon Nov 11, 2019 3:00 am

There are better options that Lithiums... I had a Vader VM7 and I found the Lithiums were mediocre.

Sparky131
Platinum Member
Platinum Member
Links/Contact:

Postby Sparky131 » Mon Nov 11, 2019 5:05 am

I’m gonna look around. I have them in a six string and friggin LOVE them. Just not sure if the six and seven string sets are any different. Thought I heard they were some time ago, but I could be very wrong.
Guitars:
1992 DC127
2016 DC127
1993 Ibanez SR890

Amps:
Jet City JCA22H
Orange Micro Terror
Orange PPC112 Cab

Return to Other Gear