Kiesel finish quality

USA Custom Shop Acoustic and Electric Guitars

Moderators: Kevio, ElfDude, JesseM, RockCrue, soundchick, ChrisH, peb, Mike Jones, Bundy

GuitFiddle
Gold Carvinite
Gold Carvinite

Kiesel finish quality

Postby GuitFiddle » Sun Nov 03, 2019 5:24 am

Just wanted to give a shout out to the quality of Kiesel finishes. Was wiping down my Osiris bass yesterday, which is gloss 'white white', and in a perfect reflective light, I can see the grain lines of the alder in the finish. Last year's DC127 in BRG was the same way, and I could see the neck seams as well if I really looked hard. You can also tell in the control cavity. These are very thin and evenly applied finishes. They may not do nitro which is my fave, but for a poly finish these are really well done. Props!
American guitars
British Amps (mostly)
What more do you need?

brokengundam

Re: Kiesel finish quality

Postby brokengundam » Mon Nov 04, 2019 3:42 pm

I'm loving the finish on my matte black HH2. I love the fact that I can't see any of the maple or alder wood grain. It actually looks better than I thought it would. I wish it would hurry up and stop smelling like fresh paint though. I've had the guitar 3 weeks out of its case and it still has that spray paint aroma to it (although not quite as strong as when I got it).

GuitFiddle
Gold Carvinite
Gold Carvinite

Postby GuitFiddle » Tue Nov 05, 2019 2:24 pm

brokengundam wrote:I'm loving the finish on my matte black HH2. I love the fact that I can't see any of the maple or alder wood grain. It actually looks better than I thought it would. I wish it would hurry up and stop smelling like fresh paint though. I've had the guitar 3 weeks out of its case and it still has that spray paint aroma to it (although not quite as strong as when I got it).

Yeah, the matte/satin finishes pretty much eliminate any possibility of seeing grain or seams due to how they reflect light. Bummer about the stank, though. I've never heard anyone mention that before. I've never had that happen, but never ordered a satin finish either. Maybe it's unique to satin finishes, or possibly just black?
American guitars

British Amps (mostly)

What more do you need?

texastoast
Gold Carvinite
Gold Carvinite

Postby texastoast » Sun Nov 10, 2019 6:28 am

brokengundam wrote: I've had the guitar 3 weeks out of its case and it still has that spray paint aroma to it (although not quite as strong as when I got it).

Did you get the hard case or the soft one? Back in the day when only hard cases were offered it would smell quite a lot. I personally liked the smell and miss it. Just part of the new guitar experience. The last few I purchased came in the soft cases and they had almost no odor.
Someone once said it smelled like tapioca to them. I agree.

brokengundam

Postby brokengundam » Mon Nov 11, 2019 10:16 pm

texastoast wrote:
brokengundam wrote: I've had the guitar 3 weeks out of its case and it still has that spray paint aroma to it (although not quite as strong as when I got it).

Did you get the hard case or the soft one? Back in the day when only hard cases were offered it would smell quite a lot. I personally liked the smell and miss it. Just part of the new guitar experience. The last few I purchased came in the soft cases and they had almost no odor.
Someone once said it smelled like tapioca to them. I agree.

I got the guitar in a soft case. I don't think a hard case is an option for the current HH2s. As it stands right now, I can only smell the finish if my face is real close to the guitar (like when taking off the guitar without removing the strap first, lifting it above my head). It's not like it stops me from playing an hour or so a day. I do kind of chalk it up to the new guitar experience. I'm just surprised that the smell has lasted as long as it has. I guess I'll have to compare it to the whenever my next custom matte-painted instrument shows up. :wink:

Return to Kiesel Guitars / Carvin Guitars