Mother Of Pearl Inlays-Bolt On Neck 1990's

USA Custom Shop Acoustic and Electric Guitars

Moderators: Kevio, ElfDude, JesseM, RockCrue, soundchick, ChrisH, peb, Mike Jones, Bundy

danielgeecee

Mother Of Pearl Inlays-Bolt On Neck 1990's

Postby danielgeecee » Sun Nov 10, 2019 1:07 am

Picked up a Bolt-on neck Carvin Kit Guitar, probably a GK1 Kit form the early to mid '90s.. Could be later, not sure..

A few of the mother of pearl inlays are a little crooked, meaning slightly out of alignment with the nearest fret.

This is only aesthetic, of course, but my question is; Is that not unusual for some of these Carvin necks(?)
Reason I ask, is to hopefully determine if the inlay job was done after-purchase..

The M.O.P looks good, seems to be genuine, but the mis-alignment made me suspect an after purchase inlay job.

Was this inlay choice even an option when buying a Bolt kit? My guess is that yes, it was.. Maybe not early-on, but late '90's maybe? They seemed to have several ornamental options. Any thoughts, anyone?

Will post pictures tomorrow, it's kinda late now.

Thanks so much, any educated input appreciated.
Last edited by danielgeecee on Mon Nov 11, 2019 2:09 pm, edited 2 times in total.

texastoast
Gold Carvinite
Gold Carvinite

Re: Mother Of Pearl Inlays-Bolt On Neck 1990's

Postby texastoast » Sun Nov 10, 2019 6:20 am

I doubt that it was done in the factory. The routes for the inlays are done on a cnc machine. I do not recall ever seeing a crooked inlay before. Anything is possible. But I would be willing to bet money on it being done elsewhere.

danielgeecee

Postby danielgeecee » Sun Nov 10, 2019 8:40 am

Thanks, Texas, I appreciate your input.. Pictures I mentioned are below..

Any thoughts on the wood(?)

I know that, in '97 anyway, they seemed to be offering only Alder on the GK1.. (Or at least the museum does't show an option to click on)
http://www.carvinmuseum.com/decade/imag ... parts.html

So, I'm guessing someone stained body and neck, and that this is alder body, with maple neck, and ebony fb. (No question it's ebony)

Hey, thanks again, so much.. Pictures if interested..
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

Jack'O'Licious
Gold Member
Gold Member
Links/Contact:

Postby Jack'O'Licious » Mon Nov 11, 2019 9:38 am

Ere you sure those aren't MOP stickers? They look sloppy enough lol. No offense.
Kiesel's:
2017 DCM8, 2016 A7H

Other's:
Cheap Peavey Strat (1st axe ever), Ernie Ball JP13, 2018 Dingwall NG-3 5 string, 2017 Warwick RB Corvette 6 string

spudmunkey
Elite Carvinite
Elite Carvinite

Postby spudmunkey » Mon Nov 11, 2019 9:45 am

I was thinking the same thing, actually.

danielgeecee

Postby danielgeecee » Wed Nov 13, 2019 12:10 pm

Definitely not.. Looked closely at, and felt surface.. Just didn't notice they were slightly askew, til I got it home and removed strings..

It's a nice smooth install, feels normal, with high quality m.o.p.

Price was well below fair asking price, one owner, local person, but I'd probably prefer it did not have this alteration..

Return to Kiesel Guitars / Carvin Guitars