TL60 Wilkinson bridge model?

USA Custom Shop Acoustic and Electric Guitars

Moderators: Kevio, ElfDude, JesseM, RockCrue, soundchick, ChrisH, peb, Mike Jones, Bundy

rokdog

TL60 Wilkinson bridge model?

Postby rokdog » Sun Nov 10, 2019 3:18 pm

I finally found another TL60 and couldn't be more happy with her. My question is what model is the bridge? The guitar is a 2010 with a satin black Wilkinson tremolo. I noticed there are no bridges listed here for parts.

The guitar is awesome I have been looking for another TL60 for a few years I knew the right one would come along. The fretboard is ebony I believe , SS frets has cool binding and a nice quilt I believe Tiger eye? Here are some shots of the guitar!No build sheet, so if anyone has a comment on the fret board feel free to let me know. You cant see it but there is nice Flame on the neck. Living in New Hampshire It takes a while to find a Carvin. But I think I scored!!
20191110_175313.jpg
20191109_170240.jpg
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

UnexplodedCow
Gold Carvinite
Gold Carvinite

Re: TL60 Wilkinson bridge model?

Postby UnexplodedCow » Sun Nov 10, 2019 8:39 pm

That's a stately-looking quilt, and on a TL-60 is rather nice!

From the fragment of fretboard in the picture, yes, that's Ebony, though the frets (based on look from the picture) look more like nickel-silver and not stainless (which is usually highly polished). C22 pickups, probably J (neck) and B( bridge) respectively, and it has the DC127 electronics.

That is definitely a Wilkinson. Kiesel switched over to Hipshot a couple years ago, and dropped the Wilkinson after many years of service, and many complaints in the later years. The quality of the units went down from the early 2000s until the end. The knife edges were prone to excessive wear.

If you want to replace it with a different unit, feel free to ask me, as I've swapped in other Wilkinson models, as well as a Gotoh 510, and Hipshot Contour. If you're handy, and have access to tools, it's easy. If not, a luthier can help, but a replacement Wilkinson is a direct drop in.
We are entitled to our own, wrong, opinions.

Guitar theorem: G=X+1 where G= guitars one needs, and X = guitars one has.

Do or do not; there is no understand.

GuitFiddle
Gold Carvinite
Gold Carvinite

Postby GuitFiddle » Mon Nov 11, 2019 10:41 am

There are two Wilkinson bridges that appeared on Carvins. One was embossed 'Carvin' and was the Wilkinson VS100, a very high quality trem made in Japan by Gotoh with good metallurgy and hardening. The other (which you have) is embossed Wilkinson and is the VS50. The VS50 was cheapened substantially from the VS100 and is not hardened well (or maybe at all), leading to the issues UXC noted. These are the same bridges they use on things like $300 Mitchells and such, I have no idea why Carvin went with these for so many years, it was a turd in the punch bowl.

If you like the look and feel of your current bridge but want to replace it for whatever reason, a VS100 is a drop-in replacement that will be headache free. If you want something else, looks like UXC is your huckleberry.
American guitars
British Amps (mostly)
What more do you need?

spudmunkey
Elite Carvinite
Elite Carvinite

Postby spudmunkey » Mon Nov 11, 2019 11:18 am

Isnt the string spacing in the 100 ever-so-slightly-different from the vs50?

rokdog

Postby rokdog » Mon Nov 11, 2019 4:32 pm

Thanks for the info! I couldn't get my other pictures to post because of the pixels size. have to work on that I guess. The bridge just felt cheesey to me and I appreciate the info from you guys, cow, git and monkey.
Regards
Robert

UnexplodedCow
Gold Carvinite
Gold Carvinite

Postby UnexplodedCow » Mon Nov 11, 2019 4:48 pm

Yes, there's a difference in string spacing at the bridge of 1.5mm total, or .3mm between string centers. It's possible to feel it, but functionally won't matter.

VS50 is 52.5 mm string spacing. Gotoh VS100 is 54mm spacing. It's subtle, but definitely wider. Gotoh 510T has identical spacing. There is the VS300 series, that has a more ergonomic, smoothed design, with the 54mm spacing. They make a typical Strat style 2 point 510T-FE model that has 52.5mm spacing, though I don't know how well that would fit. Hipshot Contour spacing is 52.8mm.

I *highly* recommend Gotoh for any vibrato, except Bigsby (as they don't make one).

GuitFiddle wrote:it was a turd in the punch bowl.

Lord, yes. I have a '96 DC127T that has a stamp of "Patent USA Pending," and is an excellent unit, stable, and hasn't worn over the years. Those are still good ones, and the way to tell, in my experience, are the anchor screws. The earlier, good ones, use an allen wrench to adjust. Later years, with the punch-bowl-spice, use black, flat-head screws. Those are inferior, period.

Also, if you find any VS50, just keep on walking. They all have soft knife edges, and even if on sale, junk is still junk. Plan for $100 for the unit, and then installation.
We are entitled to our own, wrong, opinions.

Guitar theorem: G=X+1 where G= guitars one needs, and X = guitars one has.

Do or do not; there is no understand.

Return to Kiesel Guitars / Carvin Guitars