All guitars hung on wall! Finally!

Off-Topic Discussions. Read the Sticky before posting.

Moderators: Kevio, ElfDude, JesseM, RockCrue, soundchick, ChrisH, peb, Mike Jones, Bundy

spudmunkey
Elite Carvinite
Elite Carvinite

All guitars hung on wall! Finally!

Postby spudmunkey » Sat Nov 30, 2019 7:59 pm

I've posted in other threads about my misadventures and considerations with the purchase of the slat rail product...but in the end, I decided I wasn't going to spend the money to powdercoat since it would likely get banged up over time anyway, and I could hide the discoloration on the end by putting it on the lower row where it would always be hidden behind a guitar body.

This process was also a painful reminder of just how un-plumb/flat my walls are. :wall:

And, despite a garage full of tools, and boxes and boxes of seemingly every screw imagineable...I didn't have the ones I needed. And neither did the local Lowe's. Or the Home Depot. Or the other Home Depot. Or the nearest Ace. I had to drive another 20 minutes to a different Ace. *sigh* I miss Orchard Supply Hardware...they didn't have a whole lot I ever wanted, but always had the hardware I needed.

Anyway...I'll shut up, and let the pics do the talking. :)

The acoustics:

The electrics...and a uke:

Entry to the room:

The Carvins/Kiesels (badly need better lighting in here):
Last edited by spudmunkey on Sat Nov 30, 2019 8:59 pm, edited 1 time in total.

spudmunkey
Elite Carvinite
Elite Carvinite

Re: All guitars hung on wall! Finally!

Postby spudmunkey » Sat Nov 30, 2019 8:21 pm

So, the AC375 will likely go, along with the knock-off Taylor 914CE (which is a bummer, because I had them put on a logo and brand name that I designed for myself which I always thought I'd use for my own builds one day...), to make room for the incoming SH6 in a few months. Also, the Samick and Fender Starcaster "strats" will likely go, in favor of a higher-quality "strat" at some point. The Fender has Carvin S60 single coils, though, so I might strip those before selling since they likely won't increase the selling price of that guitar by much. Might try them in the Aries someday...

spudmunkey
Elite Carvinite
Elite Carvinite

Postby spudmunkey » Sat Nov 30, 2019 11:26 pm

...and to answer, what should be, the first question:

Yes, it would have been much more space efficient to lower the 2nd row, so that the 2 rows wouldnt overlap, and the hangers on each row could be spaced tighter to fit more guitars.

However, i live with a cat. A cat that likes to chew on wood. So this is meant to keep it juuuust high enough that it's not so inviting.

Srini
Gold Member
Gold Member

Postby Srini » Wed Dec 04, 2019 5:38 am

Wow!!! What a wall that is - the Wall Of Fame for sure!!

So have you figured out a way to hand a headless?

Srini

amispy
Carvinite
Carvinite

Postby amispy » Wed Dec 04, 2019 5:59 am

Looks great Spud. Nice collection too.

Where did you get the slats and hangers from? Also, what's the tool projecting the lines on the walls?
AE185, 2 x A6H, AB5, Bolt, Cobalt 750T, DC200T, 2 x DC7X, D6H, 2 x D6X, JB200C, JH6, LB75, PB5, V220M, KV6X, 2 x V59K

wickid
Platinum Carvinite
Platinum Carvinite
Links/Contact:

Postby wickid » Wed Dec 04, 2019 7:24 am

Came out great! 8)
That door opening inward would have me a little n-n-n-nervous. :oops:
Proud Carvin owner since 1985! My Carvin gear time capsule...

Dont miss the purple CT6!
(Any photobucket links are probably now broken. Grrrrrr!!!)

spudmunkey
Elite Carvinite
Elite Carvinite

Postby spudmunkey » Wed Dec 04, 2019 9:57 am

Srini wrote:So have you figured out a way to hand a headless?

From String Swing? They have a couple different options. They have the horizontal ones, which I think most are familiar with, but then they also have this one, which operates like a normal floor-standing stand: you place the body on the body, and then lean it back into the neck cradle. They make it with a screw-mount plate, or a slat wall plate, and for acoustic or electric
https://www.stringswing.com/product/cc2 ... wall-stand. The guitar has to be 26.75" inches long or longer, though, but I believe Kiesel's would fall in line with that.

[img]https://www.stringswing.com/i/1352395825236/c1-h356-w474/uploads/CC20[2].jpg[/img]

spudmunkey
Elite Carvinite
Elite Carvinite

Postby spudmunkey » Wed Dec 04, 2019 10:09 am

wickid wrote:
Came out great! 8)
That door opening inward would have me a little n-n-n-nervous. :oops:

Me, too. :) I'm going to turn a spare slat wall plate to hold an adjustable extended wall-mount door stop, up to 6.5" that I will put between the guitars, rather than mounting something unisual to the actual wall/baseboard.

https://www.doorware.com/site/product.cfm?id=642416

ElfDude

Postby ElfDude » Wed Dec 04, 2019 11:12 am

Looks great!
Aries A6H, CS6M, SH445, Contour 66, AE185, DC135, CT4M, Bolt, Bolt T, SH225, LB76F, Nomad, VT16 Head, V410, Pro Bass 100
Midlife Crisis on Facebook
The Tri-Chevys on Facebook

spudmunkey
Elite Carvinite
Elite Carvinite

Postby spudmunkey » Wed Dec 04, 2019 11:16 am

Thanks, all!

amispy wrote:Looks great Spud. Nice collection too.

Where did you get the slats and hangers from? Also, what's the tool projecting the lines on the walls?

The slat rails are from Diamondlife Gear. It's their EMX, all extruded aluminum system. I would hesitate to recommend it, though. Maybe I'm just being overly picky, but:
- there were quite a few, but minor aesthetic flaws (scratches, dings, marks)
- The 2" at the end of one of them was discolored a bit yellow-y. In my case, I decide to put it on the lower position, so that it would be hidden behind the body of the guitar on the left.
- Something about the geometry of the slats is ever-so-slightly off from the String Swing slat wall plates, and the extra bottom seismic/retention clips that causes the bottom of the plate to stick out from the wall, like, 1/8" or less. Also, the retension clip doesn't nestle all the way down in the slat. It's secure, but not *as* secure as it could be. i don't know if that's Diamondlife Gear's fault, or String Swing's.
- Even though I have 3 drawers FULL of screws of all shapes and sizes, I had to go to a further away hardware store to find pan head, #10 screws, at the right length, that weren't the expensive nickel plated ones. Not their fault, just annoying. :lol:
- The instructions say to use their little grooves as screw placement guides, but they are off-center, so if you do use them, the heads of your screws would catch on the edges of the part of the rail you see, and could dent/scratch it. Thankfully I caught that before pre-drilling my first holes.
- Because each slat is made of three pieces (a bottom track, the slat rail itself, and a top trim to hide those screws (I suppose this is technically optional), it's not forgiving of wavy, not-straight or not-plumb walls. If you tighten the screws on the track too tight, or without shims behind it, you might not be able to bend the slat rail enough to slot into the bottom track. It's a little bit tricky.

The reason I went with Diamondlife Gear was because so many of the comparable products out there that might have been higher quality (or maybe not) required minimum orders that were above my needs. I sent them my unboxing video and documentation of the blemishes/flaws. In the end, to their credit, they actually refunded me and didn't ask for the slat rails back. I waffled back and forth on getting them powdercoated for a more uniform and durable finish, but in the end decided against it because it was just too expensive becaues it's (6) 8ft long pieces for (2) 8ft long rails, and I was affraid the finish thickness was going to screw with the fit of the hanger mounting plates, and how the rail would fit in the rail's mounting track.

I went with String Swing hangers, because of their huge section of variarious sizes and configurations (these hangers are a mix of their standard 3" straight hooks, and theit 6" and 7" adjustable angle hooks (since I didn't know what angle would work best), and also their nitro-safe hook material. A downside to the angled ones is that it's not *that* much more efficient than one rail. In the arrangement that I have them, i can't actually get the guitars any tighter using the angled arms. I would need to lower the bottom rail more, but then they'd be much more easily accessible by the cat. So I had a practical reason to use this comprimised setup, unfortunately.

spudmunkey
Elite Carvinite
Elite Carvinite

Postby spudmunkey » Wed Dec 04, 2019 7:28 pm

amispy wrote: Also, what's the tool projecting the lines on the walls?

Sorry, I missed this question the first time. It's a Dewalt laser level that I borrowed from work.

I've used it to hang 3 side-by-side window drapery rods all perfectly in line, used it to run a straight line the entire length of my house to set the first course of wood flooring...heck, even used it to hang my new house numbers in the front of the house. Also great to get doorway headers all even, and for getting the vertical slotted rails, for closet systems, all plumb.

Well worth it.

*is reminded that the price is $499*

Ok, well it's worth borrowing or renting one if you can, anyway. :lol:

(Not pictured: the tripod, which is in a separate bag)
20191204_080748.jpg

I also used it in a new bathroom to hang a towel bar. With the mirror and shower doors, it made for a cool photo, I thought. Ha!
FB_IMG_1575516755356.jpg
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

spudmunkey
Elite Carvinite
Elite Carvinite

Postby spudmunkey » Wed Dec 04, 2019 11:55 pm

Hmmm... I'm OK with the concept, but I need better light system. .. something I can control with a remote, diffused light, and more LEDs per foot...

20191202_204608.jpg
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

wickid
Platinum Carvinite
Platinum Carvinite
Links/Contact:

Postby wickid » Thu Dec 05, 2019 7:13 am

spudmunkey wrote:...I also used it in a new bathroom to hang a towel bar. With the mirror and shower doors, it made for a cool photo, I thought. Ha!
FB_IMG_1575516755356.jpg

Got those vanity soaps well guarded there, I see. James Bond nor Austin Powers could bust thru that system. :ninja: :lol:
Proud Carvin owner since 1985! My Carvin gear time capsule...

Dont miss the purple CT6!
(Any photobucket links are probably now broken. Grrrrrr!!!)

spudmunkey
Elite Carvinite
Elite Carvinite

Postby spudmunkey » Thu Dec 05, 2019 9:31 am

wickid wrote:
spudmunkey wrote:...I also used it in a new bathroom to hang a towel bar. With the mirror and shower doors, it made for a cool photo, I thought. Ha!
FB_IMG_1575516755356.jpg

Got those vanity soaps well guarded there, I see. James Bond nor Austin Powers could bust thru that system. :ninja: :lol:

The trickiest part is getting into the shower.

Imagine:
Option 1: Via ceiling-hung gantry/grapling hook and harness.

Option 2:

...except naked. :lol:

kmd09
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Postby kmd09 » Wed Dec 11, 2019 8:30 pm

Very nice set-up. I would've done something like this if I had the room. I'm using a spare bedroom for some of my music gear, my amps and keyboards to be exact, and there was not enough wall space to allow this type of set-up. I'm using a "cubby hole" in a bonus room and the available walls were only about 7ft long. I wanted to attach the wall hangers to studs and this only allowed me to hang three on each of the two available walls. The walls are only about 6ft high so was unable to have two rows. I've decided to go to floor racks instead. I purchased one DRS Alpha 7 floor rack and love it. It holds 7 guitars safely and is allowing me to eventually have all my guitars off the walls. In a couple of months I'll get one more and rack the remaining guitars. Here are some pics showing before and to date the direction I'm going. I'm not going to put my Martin D-35 in the rack because I prefer keeping it in it's case with a good humidifier.
DSCN2569.JPG

DSCN2606.JPG

DSCN2609.JPG
AC375 V49K CT624 CS624 SH575 CM130
GIBSON LES PAUL TRAD. PRS SE245 FENDER STRAT
MARTIN D35 TACOMA DM-18
V3 1/2 STACK X100B AG100D BX700 BXR10.2 BXR15.3
MARSHALL JVM 100H SPLAWN QUICKROD 100 ORANGE ROCKERVERB MKII 100 PRS ARCHON
MESA TRIPLE REC DR. Z CARMEN GHIA (2x12" CAB) BOSS KATANA 100

Srini
Gold Member
Gold Member

Postby Srini » Wed Dec 11, 2019 11:52 pm

spudmunkey wrote:From String Swing? They have a couple different options. They have the horizontal ones, which I think most are familiar with, but then they also have this one, which operates like a normal floor-standing stand: you place the body on the body, and then lean it back into the neck cradle. They make it with a screw-mount plate, or a slat wall plate, and for acoustic or electric
https://www.stringswing.com/product/cc2 ... wall-stand. The guitar has to be 26.75" inches long or longer, though, but I believe Kiesel's would fall in line with that.

[img]https://www.stringswing.com/i/1352395825236/c1-h356-w474/uploads/CC20[2].jpg[/img]

Very cool!!

Return to The Backstage Lounge