Interference between head piece and truss rod

USA Custom Shop Acoustic and Electric Guitars

Moderators: Kevio, ElfDude, JesseM, RockCrue, soundchick, ChrisH, peb, Mike Jones, Bundy

GuitFiddle
Gold Carvinite
Gold Carvinite

Interference between head piece and truss rod

Postby GuitFiddle » Tue Dec 03, 2019 7:08 am

Wasn't sure where to post this, but I suppose this is as good as any.

There is trouble in paradise when it comes to my Osiris. I'm loving the guitar much more than I thought I would, but I found an issue and am contemplating how to address it. When I got the guitar the neck was dead flat, which works well enough, but I typically like just a little bit of relief for my style and action preferences. Last night, I went to adjust the rod and add a touch of relief.

I found the rod to be backed out fully, with no further ability to rotate counter clockwise. I tightened it just a smidge to make sure the rod wasn't frozen, but it's fine. Tried to loosen again, same story. So I've established that at zero tension there is a slight back bow, and that I need to use the 2-way rod to introduce relief. OK, not my favorite scenario, but that's okay. But the resistance felt a little different than I expected when trying to turn it. Looked into the head piece, and there is interference/no clearance between the edges of the hole in the head piece and the end of the truss rod. :wall: :wall: :wall: This is where some frustration comes in, because these are the details that matter that Kiesel tends to get wrong way too often.

So now to fix it. Gotta pull the head piece and see if the base is hollow or solid. I can clearance the head piece for the rod. I can shim the headpiece, but don't want to just use washers because that will create a 'lever' on the screws and potentially compromise the integrity. I can grind down the truss rod. I don't want to loosen the head piece screws, back out the rod, and re-tighten the screws, because it won't be flush with the end of the neck. I shouldn't have to do any of it. I don't want to send it back, because it's really a great guitar and am worried it won't be the same. Looked into the truss of my Osiris bass, and it has plenty of clearance (about 1/8"). No problems there.

Anyone else have this happen? What did you do about it?
American guitars
British Amps (mostly)
What more do you need?

GuitFiddle
Gold Carvinite
Gold Carvinite

Re: Interference between head piece and truss rod

Postby GuitFiddle » Tue Dec 03, 2019 11:41 am

This also has me worried about the same condition with my upcoming Vader. Although a neck with a natural back bow under tension is pretty unusual, there have to be more out there that have had this happen.
American guitars

British Amps (mostly)

What more do you need?

UnexplodedCow
Gold Carvinite
Gold Carvinite

Postby UnexplodedCow » Sun Dec 08, 2019 7:14 pm

Absolutely call Kiesel on this first, and see what they say/do. Also, the headpiece is solid brass, so it can be clearanced easily by a broach or large burr, then polished up again. It won't take much work. I would not try any other method, given the construction.
We are entitled to our own, wrong, opinions.

Guitar theorem: G=X+1 where G= guitars one needs, and X = guitars one has.

Do or do not; there is no understand.

GuitFiddle
Gold Carvinite
Gold Carvinite

Postby GuitFiddle » Mon Dec 09, 2019 11:20 am

I will definitely reach out to them first, to 'get on the record' as much as anything else. Kiesel service has been good for me but interesting. They are absolutely willing to take something back and get it right, but they've also been just as likely to let me take a crack at it myself with no reservations. We'll see what Albert says.

Solid brass, eh? Interesting - I figured it would be aluminum. But now that you mention it, I do recall seeing a yellow cast to the threads where the tension screws are inserted. Should be an easy fix, just need to take my time and try not to get too aggravated with Kiesel over it. I guess step one is to remove the headpiece to ensure that I can actually back the rod out more, before moving forward with anything else. That neck is so stiff, I hope it can be coerced. I'll probably try to deal with it sometime this week.
American guitars

British Amps (mostly)

What more do you need?

GuitFiddle
Gold Carvinite
Gold Carvinite

Postby GuitFiddle » Fri Dec 13, 2019 8:38 am

Got a line out to Albert regarding this. More to come. I get the sense I'll be busting out the Dremel.

EDIT: Welp, heard back from Albert. He basically asked if I was sure if there was interference (I hadn't removed the head piece yet). So...I removed it, and there was about a piece of paper's thickness between the end of the neck and the rod. So there was in fact the tiniest bit of clearance, but enough. It couldn't be seen with the head piece on. However the truss wouldn't back out further. I'm VERY cautious about the amount of torque I apply to a truss and didn't want to force it. So I ran the truss in both directions a few times, and tried again. This time it budged, and slowly and cautiously I was able to back it out enough to correct the problem. There was probably some crud in the truss threads or something, but ultimately I was able to fix it. No clearancing required. Relief in place, buzz gone. I guess when you make an assumption....

Thanks to Albert for his guidance including the 'Are you SURE you're not just a little bit on crack right now?' line of questioning that helped me figure it out.
American guitars

British Amps (mostly)

What more do you need?

UnexplodedCow
Gold Carvinite
Gold Carvinite

Postby UnexplodedCow » Fri Dec 13, 2019 10:03 pm

Glad to hear you got this one sorted. Albert knows his stuff, and does good work.
We are entitled to our own, wrong, opinions.

Guitar theorem: G=X+1 where G= guitars one needs, and X = guitars one has.

Do or do not; there is no understand.

Return to Kiesel Guitars / Carvin Guitars