Guitar truss rod woes

General Technical Discussion

Moderators: Kevio, ElfDude, JesseM, RockCrue, soundchick, ChrisH, peb, Mike Jones, Bundy

UnexplodedCow
Gold Carvinite
Gold Carvinite

Guitar truss rod woes

Postby UnexplodedCow » Wed Dec 04, 2019 1:00 pm

I bought a rather nice-looking DC127T a while back, and while I had checked relief when it arrived, none was needed. I don't play it often, and the seasons changed. On playing it yesterday, it was pretty buzzy, so I checked relief, and it had none. So, normal adjustment time, right? Wrong. Previous owner stripped the allen wrench hole so completely that it's round. So I spent today with a dremel and diamond burr creating a new hex layout in the nut itself, as well as machining down a specific allen wrench to fit (4.21mm to be precise). The result? Stripped again when trying to turn it. Fully seated, and snug, with flats and corners. Next emergency step was to cut a couple slots in the end to see if I could use a big honkin' flat-edge screwdriver, and yeah, doing so makes me shudder. The nut ends up rounding on that, and the thing slips off, while I'm applying more force than I've ever used on a guitar (for anything).

So, truss rod is completely stuck. I also noticed there is a large (1x2") section of finish that completely lifted off the body, on the underside of the upper horn. Happened while the thing sat in its case.

Ugh. Just felt like venting a bit, especially since this guitar came from another long-time forum member of old. I'm not looking forward to the expensive surgery that's to come.
We are entitled to our own, wrong, opinions.

Guitar theorem: G=X+1 where G= guitars one needs, and X = guitars one has.

Do or do not; there is no understand.

UnexplodedCow
Gold Carvinite
Gold Carvinite

Re: Guitar truss rod woes

Postby UnexplodedCow » Wed Dec 04, 2019 5:04 pm

Update:

I called Kiesel to see if I could get a new rod or info on the dimensions, and sent an email with pictures. It's $700 + shipping both ways for them to do a repair, which works out to over $900 for me to have them do it, or $25 + shipping for a replacement truss rod.

I chose the latter. Time to brush off the heatgun/iron skills, and pull the fretboard.

spudmunkey
Elite Carvinite
Elite Carvinite

Postby spudmunkey » Wed Dec 04, 2019 5:27 pm

GuitFiddle
Gold Carvinite
Gold Carvinite

Postby GuitFiddle » Thu Dec 05, 2019 9:37 am

Ugh....that's not a happy find. Sorry to hear it. Makes the truss rod woes I posted in the guitar forum pretty darn minor. Keep us posted, and good luck!
American guitars
British Amps (mostly)
What more do you need?

spudmunkey
Elite Carvinite
Elite Carvinite

Postby spudmunkey » Thu Dec 05, 2019 10:05 am

UnexplodedCow wrote:Update:

GuitFiddle wrote:Ugh....

UnexplodedCow
Gold Carvinite
Gold Carvinite

Postby UnexplodedCow » Thu Dec 05, 2019 1:21 pm

Thanks for the well wishes! I'll post when it's all finished. It's the below guitar, by the way, so there is plenty of reason to make it work.

Still.....ugh....

Return to Tech Talk