2020 predictions

Post Pictures of Your Kiesel Guitars / Carvin Guitars Gear - No Cowbelling!

Moderators: Kevio, ElfDude, JesseM, RockCrue, soundchick, ChrisH, peb, Mike Jones, Bundy

spudmunkey
Elite Carvinite
Elite Carvinite

Re: 2020 predictions

Postby spudmunkey » Fri Dec 13, 2019 7:22 am

Nickel frets ate available (and standard on the Andy James), but it's a non-returnable option.

slayer
Gold Member
Gold Member

Postby slayer » Mon Dec 16, 2019 2:44 pm

spudmunkey wrote:
slayer wrote:For God`s sakes please offer Ex Jumbo Stainless Steel Frets!! I can`t believe they never offer Ex Jumbo frets in general over the years. Jumbo are good, but I prefer the Ex Jumbo better.

If I remember right, there was even a customer who sent in ex jumbo frets, and his guitar was made without them. Even outside of that option, it was a no-returnable build, and they didn't take it back. They might have in the very end, but not after a llllooottt of heat back and forth, and I think the person selling off his whole collection. Yeesh. I could understand if 'extra jumbo' just makes their eyes twich just at the thought of that whole...thing. A glossy teal all-maple DC727, if I remember right...

slayer wrote:Black MOP inlays option. They offered them for a short time years ago.

They did, but...correct me of I'm wrong, it's not like a black pearloid pickguard, right? It just like normal MOP but a little smokier with the pinks and greens popping just a little bit more? Like...if it were 3 bus stops between MOP and Abalone, it would be the first stop nearest MOP, right? I vaguely remember seeing one or two, but not really noticing much difference. :think:

Wow, I don`t remember that. I am really surprised they didn`t put the frets in for them. It would take care of the customer and also for them to see how they are on a guitar. I am not sure what their thing is against Ex-Jumbo frets?

Yes, the Black MOP inlays kinda fall in between the regular MOP and Abalone. They would look fantastic on rosewood and maple boards. An option other than black acrylic.
Bring Back the "ST" Body!!

RockCrue

Postby RockCrue » Wed Dec 18, 2019 6:12 pm

I've learned to expect anything and that ultimately Jeff listens to customers when the demand is real vs 3 requests a year. I'm just a fan and live NAMM season lol

spudmunkey
Elite Carvinite
Elite Carvinite

Postby spudmunkey » Wed Dec 18, 2019 6:19 pm

spudmunkey wrote:Anybody have any guesses predictions for what 2020 could bring?

I've got a couple of guesses. Note that these arent necessarily things I want, but could see them doing.

1) a 2nd multiscale headless bass. I think the Osiris is the easiest, but the Vader seems like it would be the best. Since the Zeus already covers bolt-on, and then theres also the JBM and Vanquish multiscales that are both bolt-on, I think the Vader would be a real winner in the market. Multiscale + neck through + headless seems like a killer combo, and what I think the first multiscale bass SHOULD have been.

One down...

Last edited by spudmunkey on Thu Dec 19, 2019 7:34 am, edited 1 time in total.

Toptube
Gold Carvinite
Gold Carvinite

Postby Toptube » Thu Dec 19, 2019 7:29 am

Sometime this year, Jeff will buy a larger kiln for roasting. And then we can get roasted necks on everything. I would guess probably around late spring or summer time.

glennfin
Gold Member
Gold Member

Postby glennfin » Thu Dec 26, 2019 11:25 am

Piezo bridge saddles for Vader?? 8) 8) 8)
Kiesel V6X
Kiesel HF2S
10 String Chapman Stick Plasma Railboard
5 string NS electric Cello
Kemper Profiler Head w/ Full stack of converted full range Mesa mini rectifier cabs..
Modified Roland GR-55

spudmunkey
Elite Carvinite
Elite Carvinite

Postby spudmunkey » Thu Dec 26, 2019 11:36 am

glennfin wrote:Piezo bridge saddles for Vader?? 8) 8) 8)

If you're talking about guitar, you can already get those. Ever since the Lee McKinney headless model. It's even on the Vader's online builder. :)

[edit: I'll note that I *believe* it's just got the single blended output, though, in case that matters to you. I also believe you can't combine it with the optional chambering, as their chambering pattern interferes with where the battery compartment would go.]

glennfin
Gold Member
Gold Member

Postby glennfin » Fri Dec 27, 2019 6:42 am

Thanks Spud!. Didn't know that. I was wondering about the possibility of adding 13 pin "Roland Ready" electronics to a piezo bridge equipped Vader. There would be plenty of room for electronics if the trem cavity was still there minus the the trem components however I'm guessing that trem component cavity (springs, block, etc) is not routed out on a non-trem model. Having the piezo saddles is the first requirement so I'm glad these are available. 8) Could I order a non-trem Vader with that rear cavity routed out as an option 50 build?

spudmunkey wrote:
glennfin wrote:Piezo bridge saddles for Vader?? 8) 8) 8)

If you're talking about guitar, you can already get those. Ever since the Lee McKinney headless model. It's even on the Vader's online builder. :)

[edit: I'll note that I *believe* it's just got the single blended output, though, in case that matters to you. I also believe you can't combine it with the optional chambering, as their chambering pattern interferes with where the battery compartment would go.]
Kiesel V6X
Kiesel HF2S
10 String Chapman Stick Plasma Railboard
5 string NS electric Cello
Kemper Profiler Head w/ Full stack of converted full range Mesa mini rectifier cabs..
Modified Roland GR-55

Toptube
Gold Carvinite
Gold Carvinite

Postby Toptube » Wed Jan 15, 2020 1:52 am

looks like the Icon no longer offers zebrawood or purpleheart tops and headstock, as part of the base price. I think the 3pc body layer was also included before.

spudmunkey
Elite Carvinite
Elite Carvinite

Postby spudmunkey » Wed Jan 15, 2020 5:35 am

Interesting...so it's basically starting with "Icon S" spec now. Did the price change?

Toptube
Gold Carvinite
Gold Carvinite

Postby Toptube » Fri Jan 17, 2020 12:16 am

spudmunkey wrote:Interesting...so it's basically starting with "Icon S" spec now. Did the price change?

I.....don't think so? It might be a little cheaper. It does include a 4A flame or quilt top in the base price. But a deep clear or deep color finish is extra.

Lets do a comparison of Icon 5 pricing. Right now for $1559, you get Alder body, Quartersewn 1 piece maple neck with support rods, Ebony fretboard, natural figured maple top (and I'm not sure you can get that top without also choosing a deep finish. You could get a solid paint or trans paint without the top), stainless frets, luminlay side dots, 18v active circuit with bass, treble, and mid. dual coil radiused pickups.

In 2014 I ordered an Icon 5 for almost exactly $1500. Swamp Ash body. 5 piece Walnut/White Limba neck with support rods (regular side dots. luminlays weren't available at that time or I would have got them), Rosewood fretboard (no charge in 2014 for rosewood, ebony, or plain maple), no top, stainless frets, regular side dots, 18v active circuit with bass, treble, and mid, Antique Ash Treatment on the swamp ash body wings. Single Coil radiused pickups.

Its actually not too bad a comparison because you still have $100 in free options to play with on that 2020 price. Which you could put toward a fancy fretboard, multi-piece neck, metallic paint, or whatever. However, the big question-mark is, how they currently handle the top. Are the maple figured tops required to be paired with a deep finish? can the tops be "traded" in for some cost savings or something?

one way or another, the previous inclusion of purpleheart or zebrawood tops and headstock in the base price, were an amazing offering. And I'm really sad I could never afford another Icon while that was an offering. Paired with a holiday promo deal for free chambering and other options---you could get an amazingly specced Icon for a great price.

Return to Kiesel Guitars / Carvin Guitars Photo Gallery