Going to NAMM(!!)...any pic requests?

Post Pictures of Your Kiesel Guitars / Carvin Guitars Gear - No Cowbelling!

Moderators: Kevio, ElfDude, JesseM, RockCrue, soundchick, ChrisH, peb, Mike Jones, Bundy

spudmunkey
Elite Carvinite
Elite Carvinite

Going to NAMM(!!)...any pic requests?

Postby spudmunkey » Sun Jan 12, 2020 2:48 pm

I got offered a chance to go to NAMM. Hotels are heeeeeeeella expensive this last minute, but I was able to get Friday off...so, yeah...I'm going.
:woot:

It'll be my first time at NAMM.

So, I have no real functional reason to be there, so I feel like I sorta have to earn my time there. :laughhard:

Are there any specific pics or info anyone's looking for?

I'll note that tone reports will be impossible there, and dont have the experience to be able to compare necks, fretboard radii, etc...

But if there's like a specific angle of a model or something I'm your guy! :)

El Cajon

Re: Going to NAMM(!!)...any pic requests?

Postby El Cajon » Sun Jan 12, 2020 4:31 pm

Hey Spudmunkey. I don't have any picture requests. But, I'm curious.
Exactly what does NAMM stand for? And where is it being held?
I've seen those initials before on youtube; but I never found out what they meant!

spudmunkey
Elite Carvinite
Elite Carvinite

Postby spudmunkey » Sun Jan 12, 2020 5:09 pm

North American Music Merchants expo. It's held in Southern california in the winter, and Nashville in the summer. It's an event for retailers, artists and manufacturers to meet and check out the products for the next year. It's not open to the public (except *maybe* the last day of the summer Nashville show).

Edit: to add a little details, the different types of passes have different colors. Sellers have one color, buyers have another, guests have another, etc. The terms of the type of badge I have specifically state that if I see a red and a blue who seem like they are trying to get business done, that I have to get out of their way:
While visiting exhibits we ask that you remain aware of the business being conducted between exhibitors (red badges) and buyers (blue badges) and yield accordingly.
Last edited by spudmunkey on Mon Jan 13, 2020 6:10 pm, edited 3 times in total.

Greg Emm
Carvinite
Carvinite

Postby Greg Emm » Sun Jan 12, 2020 6:36 pm

What an awesome opportunity for you, Spud. It's really cool you're going, especially since you expressed the wish to go a few days ago. Just awesome.

Thanks for offering to take some pictures. I'd love to see the special basses Kiesel has cooked up for the event. I'd also like to see the Reverend Wattplower Mark II bass. And Mike Watt, if he shows up!

Thanks again. Have a great time, and in the end, of course, do what you want to do!

spudmunkey
Elite Carvinite
Elite Carvinite

Postby spudmunkey » Sun Jan 12, 2020 7:52 pm

Greg Emm wrote:What an awesome opportunity for you, Spud. It's really cool you're going, especially since you expressed the wish to go a few days ago. Just awesome.

Thanks for offering to take some pictures. I'd love to see the special basses Kiesel has cooked up for the event. I'd also like to see the Reverend Wattplower Mark II bass. And Mike Watt, if he shows up!

Thanks again. Have a great time, and in the end, of course, do what you want to do!

I've downloaded the app and started to build out my schedule. Ha!

Unfortunately, Mike Watt is at the same time as a Frank Gembale at Kiesel, and just before Stu Hamm at Mark Bass so I dont know if I'll be near there for it. I do have Reverend on my list of places to go, though.

ElfDude

Postby ElfDude » Mon Jan 13, 2020 6:36 am

Pic requests... sure!

Everything at the Kiesel booth with f-holes! ;)

Everything at the Kiesel booth with a sparkly finish! :mrgreen:
Aries A6H, CS6M, SH445, Contour 66, AE185, DC135, CT4M, Bolt, Bolt T, SH225, LB76F, Nomad, VT16 Head, V410, Pro Bass 100
Midlife Crisis on Facebook
The Tri-Chevys on Facebook

Captjag

Postby Captjag » Mon Jan 13, 2020 6:49 am

The multiscale AW5 he appears to be bringing :D

spudmunkey
Elite Carvinite
Elite Carvinite

Postby spudmunkey » Mon Jan 13, 2020 6:54 am

Captjag wrote:The multiscale AW5 he appears to be bringing :D

That walnut one with the gold frets? I missed that one!

Greg Emm
Carvinite
Carvinite

Postby Greg Emm » Mon Jan 13, 2020 7:58 am

spudmunkey wrote:Unfortunately, Mike Watt is at the same time as a Frank Gembale at Kiesel, and just before Stu Hamm at Mark Bass so I dont know if I'll be near there for it. I do have Reverend on my list of places to go, though.

Whoa! That's a convergence of greatness. I don't envy having to choose. Thanks for any and everything you document. It's going to be cool ... Thanks again, man.

Captjag wrote:The multiscale AW5 he appears to be bringing :D

Really?! :woot:

spudmunkey
Elite Carvinite
Elite Carvinite

Postby spudmunkey » Mon Jan 13, 2020 8:46 am

Greg Emm wrote:
Really?! :woot:

Apparently:
Capture.JPG

Is it a illusion, or is the pickup angled, too?
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

Greg Emm
Carvinite
Carvinite

Postby Greg Emm » Mon Jan 13, 2020 9:14 am

spudmunkey wrote:Is it a illusion, or is the pickup angled, too?

Thank you, Spud. Very cool. The pickup seems traditionally oriented. Rotating the image might better reveal what's happening here.

Thanks again ...

Captjag

Postby Captjag » Mon Jan 13, 2020 12:10 pm

Pretty sure Amos also posted that they're bringing one for him as well.

dbone
Gold Carvinite
Gold Carvinite

Postby dbone » Mon Jan 13, 2020 5:17 pm

Nice!!! Obviously pics of all the cool Kiesel stuff. I would however like you to keep an eye out for other Cool and innovative accessories and other products. Hope it’s allot of fun!
dbones Lefties
SH550 M22SD M22N
DC150 M22T/M22V, DC150 M22SD/M22N
DC400A, K12B/K12N, DC600 M22SD/M22V, DC800 A80B/A80N
AE185 C22T/C22N/Piezo, AE185-12 H22T/H22N/Piezo
CT7M KL14B/KL14N, Bolt C22T/AP11/AP11, AC375, CL450, AC275K, SB5000 J99A pups

spudmunkey
Elite Carvinite
Elite Carvinite

Postby spudmunkey » Mon Jan 13, 2020 5:33 pm

Yeah, there are only a few guitar/instrument/amp companies I'll planning to make time for, but I'm really most interested in all the stuff in what I understand is "Hall E", where the small luthiers are, and where a lot of the accessories/gadgets etc are. hoping to see some innovative guitar cases, actually. Since I got my Helix, my "pedal" interest has almost completely waned, but I'm hoping to be impressed by something.

Goll-dang it, I'm so excited!!

First order of business was to scroll through all of the scheduled events and presentations, and bookmark the ones I'd like to see. Brian Bromberg, Frank Gambale (hoping to see him twice, once at Kiesel and once at Cort guitars (he plays their acoustics), Stu Hamm, and Lee McKinney. I've also made sure to schedule stops at any and all booths doing any sort of publicised "giveaway", even if it's just a tote bag.

I honestly have no idea how it works, but I don't see Vai or Petrucci on the schedule at all. Are these private events? Are they even going to be there? I've herd, though, that when they are there, you have to be there very early, and expect to not be able to get through that area any time soon. ha!

helldorado

Postby helldorado » Mon Jan 13, 2020 7:34 pm

I always found it interesting that Kiesel goes to NAMM with a large booth considering that they don't actually deal with any of the retail merchants. So I've always wondered what portion of the NAMM membership they feel they're getting the most out of? It always seems like they want to strut in front of the other manufacturers more than anything, lol. They could just stick to providing the loaner / demo instruments for guitar magazines and other outlets to report on new instrument offerings and reviews as they already do.

Dean Zelinsky, with his private label brand says how he purposefully doesn't partake in NAMM because they only sell direct, like Kiesel. Random thought more than anything.

spudmunkey
Elite Carvinite
Elite Carvinite

Postby spudmunkey » Mon Jan 13, 2020 8:04 pm

Jeff's rationalization is that a) theres a lot of press from NAMM, and b) there are a lot of artists there for lots of other amp and acoustic companies who they can meet with, or guitarists who they could poach just by getting their guitars in their hands.

helldorado

Postby helldorado » Mon Jan 13, 2020 9:48 pm

I wonder if any of the current artists came about though NAMM? Given the big focus on signing YouTube musicians, I'm not sure how many of those guys have a presence at the show. I learn about these guys from Kiesel, not the other way around. It feels like Jeff is raising their profile more than them spreading awareness about Kiesel.

The only extra press I've ever seen is when they win an award from NAMM which is still good bragging rights. So that's probably worth it in itself.

BigViolin

Postby BigViolin » Wed Jan 15, 2020 9:58 am

Not sure how much you are into fusion but I'm curious about what Tim Miller is playing. I think he is appearing at the booth at some point.

spudmunkey
Elite Carvinite
Elite Carvinite

Postby spudmunkey » Wed Jan 15, 2020 10:56 am

BigViolin wrote:Not sure how much you are into fusion but I'm curious about what Tim Miller is playing. I think he is appearing at the booth at some point.

Yep, on Saturday afternoon, between Greg Kosh at Fishman and Thomas McRocklin (also at Fishman). :mrgreen:

helldorado

Postby helldorado » Wed Jan 15, 2020 11:38 am

spudmunkey wrote:
BigViolin wrote:Not sure how much you are into fusion but I'm curious about what Tim Miller is playing. I think he is appearing at the booth at some point.

Yep, on Saturday afternoon, between Greg Kosh at Fishman and Thomas McRocklin (also at Fishman). :mrgreen:

Greg Koch should be a real good time. Great player but also just a very natural and comfortable presenter. He has fantastic flow doing demos and speaking to a crowd.

I've been tempted by his Gristlemaster guitar from Reverend because it's a great price for the features, but I've heard mixed reviews about Reverend quality being manufactured off-shore with only final setup and QC in the US.

Return to Kiesel Guitars / Carvin Guitars Photo Gallery