Thinking of doing my first proper DIY build . . .

Advice and tips on building a Carvin Guitars kit.

Moderators: Kevio, ElfDude, JesseM, RockCrue, soundchick, ChrisH, peb, Mike Jones, Bundy

HarlowTheFish
Carvinite
Carvinite

Thinking of doing my first proper DIY build . . .

Postby HarlowTheFish » Fri Feb 21, 2020 7:32 pm

So I've been meaning to do a build for a few years now but never really got around to it because I was in a tiny Manhattan apartment or in a college dorm, but now I have my own place it's about time I get on with it. I'm thinking roasted alder body, roasted maple neck (unsure if bolt-on or long-tenon set-through), 25"-26" multiscale, sort of splitting the difference between a LP, a Tele, a Mustang, and a 339:
Sketch0012.jpg

Did a quick sketch in Sketchbook, what do y'all think? It's a little rough around the headstock, 'cause I don't wanna straight up copy somebody else's (EBMM in this case) but you can only do a 2 over 4 so many ways. The whole thing'll be pretty small, about the size of a Les Paul or comparable to my CL6, the trapeze runs over something kinda like one of those Bigsby Tele bridges (something I can probably get made locally or through one of the parts manufacturers - hell, Hipshot's only like 3 hours from me so I might hit them up :mrgreen:

For pickups I'm thinking piezo saddles (always on and blended), a Lindy Fralin Steel Pole Tele Split (if I can get it with an A8 magnet I might decouple my jaw from smiling too hard) and a Dimarzio Area T Neck, with one of those Bartolini buffer preamps. Hipshot open gear tuners and 22 stainless frets, and a brushed aluminum pickguard, either gold or black (and mixed hardware to match). A little overkill and probably not the most practical first electric build, but I've done an acoustic before and those are a whole lot harder.
Thoughts?
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

spudmunkey
Elite Carvinite
Elite Carvinite

Re: Thinking of doing my first proper DIY build . . .

Postby spudmunkey » Fri Feb 21, 2020 8:10 pm

I'm getting sort of a..."if Guild were to make a multiscale electric" vibe.

I've got a hunk of redwood in my garage that I hope to do something with this summer. Good luck!

HarlowTheFish
Carvinite
Carvinite

Postby HarlowTheFish » Fri Feb 21, 2020 8:29 pm

spudmunkey wrote:I'm getting sort of a..."if Guild were to make a multiscale electric" vibe.

I've got a hunk of redwood in my garage that I hope to do something with this summer. Good luck!

Thanks Spud!
It turned out a lot like the Sully Stardust with the appointments of a Guild M75. Not where I was really going originally but I can't be mad at it 'cause it looks pretty dope.

Hunk of redwood, huh? Wonder if it's big enough to get a single-piece headless out of it.

helldorado
Gold Member
Gold Member

Postby helldorado » Sat Feb 22, 2020 11:37 am

Are you planning to build neck and body completely yourself or use a template / pre-manufactured parts?

HarlowTheFish
Carvinite
Carvinite

Postby HarlowTheFish » Sat Feb 22, 2020 1:35 pm

helldorado wrote:Are you planning to build neck and body completely yourself or use a template / pre-manufactured parts?

All DIY. Nobody really does fanned-fret necks (especially to this scale length and parallel fret spec) and I'd need to make templates for it myself (which I'll probably do.

helldorado
Gold Member
Gold Member

Postby helldorado » Sun Feb 23, 2020 9:35 am

Cool, good luck with the build! I've done a couple partscasters but don't think I would want to attempt to build my own neck. That feels a bit beyond my level. :)

HarlowTheFish
Carvinite
Carvinite

Postby HarlowTheFish » Sun Feb 23, 2020 6:17 pm

helldorado wrote:Cool, good luck with the build! I've done a couple partscasters but don't think I would want to attempt to build my own neck. That feels a bit beyond my level. :)

It's not as bad as it seems as long as you get the truss rod in right - you can carve by hand if you really want to or use some kind of sanding device to rough it out first. Just sit down with some chick flicks on Netflix and a cosmo and go at it for an hour. Your frustration at the lack of logic and communication will give you extra sanding power :P

spudmunkey
Elite Carvinite
Elite Carvinite

Postby spudmunkey » Sun Feb 23, 2020 6:33 pm

Because all it would take is one gosh-darn phone call to resolve the misunderstanding, and the whole plot of the movie resolves itself. :wall:

"The woman you saw me hugging is my sister."

"I havent been around as much lately, because I took a second job to pay for this engagement ring."

"He's gay/not gay".

Ugh!!

*sandsandsandsand*

HarlowTheFish
Carvinite
Carvinite

Postby HarlowTheFish » Sun Feb 23, 2020 8:46 pm

spudmunkey wrote:Because all it would take is one gosh-darn phone call to resolve the misunderstanding, and the whole plot of the movie resolves itself. :wall:

"The woman you saw me hugging is my sister."

"I havent been around as much lately, because I took a second job to pay for this engagement ring."

"He's gay/not gay".

Ugh!!

*sandsandsandsand*

Exactly! So you grab your wood-carving tool of choice and take it out on your neck-to-be. The acoustic I built with Lucas Campoy (not to shill but if y'all are into Martins, he's a builder from my hometown who does some killer builds for very reasonable money for an acoustic) took about 45 minutes from plank with headstock to shaped and sanded neck using a drill with a sanding barrel and handwork for the final sanding.

Jack'O'Licious
Gold Member
Gold Member
Links/Contact:

Postby Jack'O'Licious » Mon Mar 23, 2020 1:48 pm

Pretty sweet. Like a Zues-ish body multiscale Tele with a Vanquish/Legator style headstock. Sketch looks pretty sweet man. Hope to see a finished product pic in here.
Kiesel's:
2017 DCM8, 2016 A7H

Other's:
Cheap Peavey Strat (1st axe ever), Ernie Ball JP13, 2018 Dingwall NG-3 5 string, 2017 Warwick RB Corvette 6 string

HarlowTheFish
Carvinite
Carvinite

Postby HarlowTheFish » Mon Mar 23, 2020 1:54 pm

Jack'O'Licious wrote:Pretty sweet. Like a Zues-ish body multiscale Tele with a Vanquish/Legator style headstock. Sketch looks pretty sweet man. Hope to see a finished product pic in here.

Thanks man! Definitely gonna put this together when I can and post some pics/sound demos, but it's kinda on hold atm because NY's basically shut down and most of my money's going into hand sanitizer.

Return to Builder's Forum