New single cut, neck through, headless model: Leia

USA Custom Shop Acoustic and Electric Guitars

Moderators: Kevio, ElfDude, JesseM, Mike Jones, Bundy, RockCrue, soundchick, ChrisH, peb

DannyB819
Gold Carvinite
Gold Carvinite

Re: New single cut, neck through, headless model: Leia

Postby DannyB819 » Fri Jun 26, 2020 5:30 pm

helldorado wrote:
Inviris wrote:Jeff is his own person and has a vision for what HE wants to bring to market. I love the fact that almost nothing he introduces is traditional. Other companies already do those things and they have been doing them for 50+ years. Let them continue bringing the same old products to the market with slightly different variations while Jeff actually innovates and gives players what no one else does. :D

Very true, like the Delos! :lol:

But in all seriousness, what you and I might consider traditional vs innovative are probably not the same things. I see a lot of what Kiesel does as being fairly conservative, steeped in traditional methods and design, just like anybody who is 3 generations in for guitar building and have existed in the market for 50+ years. Just because they're focused more on headless now doesn't make it innovative. That was innovative over 30 years ago. They're just able to capitalize on the newfound popularity headless guitars are enjoying right now. Which is great for them if they make a killing on it and grow their fanbase.

100000% THIS. I don't see a whole lot of innovation here. I see bevels (Kiesel not the first to feature these), headless (not invented by Kiesel), variations on existing designs, and admittedly awesome color offerings, but not a whole lot of innovation.

To me, innovation is evident in things like Tom Anderson's neck joint, Suhr's blower switch, SSC system and PT-15 amp, Music Man's piezo system, binding technique, Ursula robot, and Game Changer technology. With Kiesel I see, mostly, an amalgamation of other companies' technology (headless, Luminlay) mixed with updated versions of designs based on models previously offered or based on other companies' shapes combined with unique woods and finishing options (apart from the crackle finishes, which Kiesel also didn't pioneer).

Add to that the unique custom shop configurations available and very good fretwork and construction, both of which have been part of the company for 30+ years, and that all adds up to a really attractive and unique position in the market, but not something I'd call innovative. I see a lot of cool options, but not anything I'd consider to be innovative.

And the Star Wars themed naming of instruments seems sophomoric and amateur. I actually thought that the naming of pickups after elements (Lithium, Beryllium, Thorium) was a cool theme, or even the ancient gods (Osiris, Zeus, Aries - even though the spelling of this refers to the Zodiac sign and not the Greek god of war, which is spelled Ares) was cool, but this whole Star Wars thing seems childish and lazy to me.
Last edited by DannyB819 on Sun Jun 28, 2020 6:30 pm, edited 1 time in total.

dcosgrove

Postby dcosgrove » Sat Jun 27, 2020 12:47 pm

First of all, definitely love the neck-thru single cut headless...can definitely see myself selling my Zeus and speccing a Leia out, likely this winter.

One minor thing about these bothered me right away when I looked at them, though - the placement of the "Kiesel" logo looks like it's way too close to the edge...as I did some further digging I saw this instagram post with all 4 on the couch:
https://www.instagram.com/p/CB3bxf7Hk1E/

The 2 on the left have a perfect logo placement IMO - looks like the "K" in the logo starts right at the 23rd fret - but w/ the two on the right(that jumped out to me as being "too close to the edge"), it seems to start at the 21st fret. Not sure how consistent or precisely what the process is for getting the logo on there, but I'm hoping they end up doing them consistently from the 23rd fret.

dbone
Gold Carvinite
Gold Carvinite

Postby dbone » Sun Jun 28, 2020 10:07 pm

Will this be available in multiscale?
Is 24.75 available in left handed?
Is there a link to Jeffs video?
dbones Lefties
SH550 M22SD M22N
DC150 M22T/M22V, DC150 M22SD/M22N
DC400A, K12B/K12N, DC600 M22SD/M22V, DC800 A80B/A80N
AE185 C22T/C22N/Piezo, AE185-12 H22T/H22N/Piezo
CT7M KL14B/KL14N, Bolt C22T/AP11/AP11, AC375, CL450, AC275K, SB5000 J99A pups

spudmunkey
Elite Carvinite
Elite Carvinite

Postby spudmunkey » Mon Jun 29, 2020 12:03 am

spudmunkey
Elite Carvinite
Elite Carvinite

Postby spudmunkey » Mon Jun 29, 2020 7:27 pm

Leia vs Zeus

Last edited by spudmunkey on Mon Jun 29, 2020 7:28 pm, edited 2 times in total.

spudmunkey
Elite Carvinite
Elite Carvinite

Leia vs Vader

Last edited by spudmunkey on Mon Jun 29, 2020 7:28 pm, edited 1 time in total.

spudmunkey
Elite Carvinite
Elite Carvinite

Leia vs HH2

Last edited by spudmunkey on Mon Jun 29, 2020 7:29 pm, edited 1 time in total.

spudmunkey
Elite Carvinite
Elite Carvinite

Postby spudmunkey » Mon Jun 29, 2020 7:28 pm

Leia vs SCB6

helldorado
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Postby helldorado » Mon Jun 29, 2020 7:36 pm

My first thought is holy crap, this thing is small even compared to the other headless guitars. :shock:

Makes you wonder, with all the wood they're saving on these models, why do prices keep going up? :lol:

spudmunkey
Elite Carvinite
Elite Carvinite

Postby spudmunkey » Mon Jun 29, 2020 7:43 pm

helldorado wrote:My first thought is holy crap, this thing is small even compared to the other headless guitars. :shock:

Makes you wonder, with all the wood they're saving on these models, why do prices keep going up? :lol:

When was the last increase? It's hard to remember, because there's been at least two times where he mentioned that there may be one, but then held off for like 6 months. :think:

ElfDude

Postby ElfDude » Tue Jun 30, 2020 7:05 am

Those are really cool, Spud. Helpful.

Were I in the headless market, I still think I like the looks of the HH2 the best.
Aries A6H, CS6M, SH445, Contour 66, AE185, DC135, CT4M, Bolt, Bolt T, SH225, LB76F, Nomad, VT16 Head, V410, Pro Bass 100
Midlife Crisis on Facebook
The Tri-Chevys on Facebook

spudmunkey
Elite Carvinite
Elite Carvinite

Postby spudmunkey » Tue Jun 30, 2020 7:10 am

ElfDude wrote:Those are really cool, Spud. Helpful.

Were I in the headless market, I still think I like the looks of the HH2 the best.

Dang...i just realized that I made that GIF wrong...it only plays once, it doesn't loop "forever". Well, I didn't save it, and I'm not re-doing it. i hope that's OK. :oops: :lol:

mbardu
Gold Carvinite
Gold Carvinite

Postby mbardu » Tue Jun 30, 2020 7:51 am

So the Holdsworth indeed does look smaller than the Leia. It was a bit awkward during the reveal video when Jeff insisted the Leia was the smallest and tried to make it appear that way- while it certainly looked like that wasn't the case.

spudmunkey
Elite Carvinite
Elite Carvinite

Postby spudmunkey » Tue Jun 30, 2020 8:09 am

mbardu wrote:So the Holdsworth indeed does look smaller than the Leia. It was a bit awkward during the reveal video when Jeff insisted the Leia was the smallest and tried to make it appear that way- while it certainly looked like that wasn't the case.

Leia's overall length is shorter. The body itself is technincally longer but it's because the upper bout extends further up the neck, likely for better balance (since the body is so tiny, I wonder if it still could exibit neck-dive as a single-cut?). The width is about the same.

I imagine it'll also *feel* much smaller, even though the body really isn't any narrower, though. The HH is like a solid billet, with rounded over edges. The Leia has a belly cut and forearm contour. Combined with the smaller neck heel, I'll bet they feel worlds apart, as similar as they look.
Last edited by spudmunkey on Tue Jun 30, 2020 11:22 am, edited 1 time in total.

helldorado
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Postby helldorado » Tue Jun 30, 2020 10:56 am

spudmunkey wrote:
helldorado wrote:My first thought is holy crap, this thing is small even compared to the other headless guitars. :shock:

When was the last increase? It's hard to remember, because there's been at least two times where he mentioned that there may be one, but then held off for like 6 months. :think:

It seems like there is one per year, though it's sometimes mid year or end of year, maybe they're 12-18 months apart? The last increase was back at the end 2019 because because the prices went up after I ordered my V220/DC600 at the end of September and before I ordered my AM7 in February this year.

Jack'O'Licious
Gold Member
Gold Member
Links/Contact:

Postby Jack'O'Licious » Tue Jun 30, 2020 12:24 pm

Now that I can see comparisons, I would take the Leia over the Zues for sure (less beluga whale-ish). Also over the Holdsworth as well.

Thanks spud, that opened my mind to the Leia way more.
Kiesel's:
2017 DCM8, 2020 Vader 7X (Used to have an Aries 7H with Piezo but regretfully sold it)

Other's:
Cheap Peavey Strat (1st axe ever), Ernie Ball JP13, 2018 Dingwall NG-3 5 string, 2017 Warwick RB Corvette 6 string

Return to Kiesel Guitars / Carvin Guitars