C22B specs and wiring info

General Technical Discussion

Moderators: Kevio, ElfDude, JesseM, Mike Jones, Bundy, RockCrue, soundchick, ChrisH, peb

Casual Madman
Gold Carvinite
Gold Carvinite

C22B specs and wiring info

Postby Casual Madman » Tue Jun 30, 2020 3:07 pm

So, I'm a member of the Dean Owner's FB group (repping my Cadillac) and one of the others there picked up a Dean V with a C22 in the bridge - and replaced it with a DiMarzio without ever even plugging it in.

I asked would they be interested in selling the C22, went into a little detail about the old Carvin pickups (I was actually hoping it was an M22, until I got a closeup picture and saw it had Phillips poles & slugs, instead of the Allen poles). Anyway, they're gifting it to me - turned down my offer to pay for it, said it should go to someone who'd use and appreciate it!

Guitar people are the best.

This will be going into an Ibanez Destroyer (mahogany body, don't know if maple top of not (guess I'll find out when I pull the bridge pup), replacing a DiMarzio Tone Zone. That pup will then migrate to the bridge of my Cadillac, replacing the OEM Dean which is nice enough but a little weak compared to its neck counterpart.

So, couple questions - since the old specs page has been updated with (some of) the newer pickups, anyone remember the DCR of a C22B? The tone profile?

Also, I'd like to wire it in so the "both" pickups position will be out-of-phase, always. When I had a DC150 with the phase switch, I never used both pups in phase ever. Love me the squawk.

ElfDude

Re: C22B specs and wiring info

Postby ElfDude » Wed Jul 01, 2020 6:54 am

Back in the day, the only pickup wound hotter than the C22B was the M22SD. The C22B has a lot of output when compared to the old M22T or the Holdsworths. I don't remember how many Ohms it was, but you could check that with a meter easily enough.

Tone-wise, it's been said that the C22B sounds a lot like the DiMazrzio BREED. It has a distinct rise in the midrange, giving it a nice vintage tone but with plenty of oomph behind it. Some have described that rise in the midrange as "honky", but I wouldn't go that far. I think it's a great pickup for doing classic rock covers.

I still have the C22B in a couple of guitars... both semi-hollow. Most notably my cherished SH225.
Aries A6H, CS6M, SH445, Contour 66, AE185, DC135, CT4M, Bolt, Bolt T, SH225, LB76F, Nomad, VT16 Head, V410, Pro Bass 100
Midlife Crisis on Facebook
The Tri-Chevys on Facebook

Casual Madman
Gold Carvinite
Gold Carvinite

Postby Casual Madman » Wed Jul 01, 2020 7:07 am

ElfDude wrote:Tone-wise, it's been said that the C22B sounds a lot like the DiMazrzio BREED. It has a distinct rise in the midrange, giving it a nice vintage tone but with plenty of oomph behind it. Some have described that rise in the midrange as "honky", but I wouldn't go that far.

I kinda hope it honks. I'm all about that midrange, that midrange, that midrange. When just about everyone is scooping their mids, I'm boosting mine.

ElfDude

Postby ElfDude » Wed Jul 01, 2020 1:42 pm

Casual Madman wrote:
ElfDude wrote:Tone-wise, it's been said that the C22B sounds a lot like the DiMazrzio BREED. It has a distinct rise in the midrange, giving it a nice vintage tone but with plenty of oomph behind it. Some have described that rise in the midrange as "honky", but I wouldn't go that far.

I kinda hope it honks. I'm all about that midrange, that midrange, that midrange. When just about everyone is scooping their mids, I'm boosting mine.

You two should get along great then! 8)
Aries A6H, CS6M, SH445, Contour 66, AE185, DC135, CT4M, Bolt, Bolt T, SH225, LB76F, Nomad, VT16 Head, V410, Pro Bass 100
Midlife Crisis on Facebook
The Tri-Chevys on Facebook

Casual Madman
Gold Carvinite
Gold Carvinite

Postby Casual Madman » Thu Jul 02, 2020 12:34 pm

Any help with wiring diagrams, actual DCR specs, etc? I did turn up some wiring info, but based on switching. I won't have any coil-tap options or need for a phase switch; I want the pups to be out-of-phase at all times when in the middle toggle. I also found the output/tone charts, although they don't seem to agree.

pickupchart.gif

carvin_pickup_chart_2_2012.jpg
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post. Please REGISTER or LOG IN.

Casual Madman
Gold Carvinite
Gold Carvinite

Postby Casual Madman » Thu Jul 02, 2020 2:18 pm

Found the DCR etc. chart! Now I just need how to wire the danged thing.

12386_carvin_humbuckers3_5.jpg
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post. Please REGISTER or LOG IN.

Return to Tech Talk