VADER HSS?

USA Custom Shop Acoustic and Electric Guitars

Moderators: Kevio, ElfDude, JesseM, RockCrue, soundchick, ChrisH, peb, Mike Jones, Bundy

quattro

VADER HSS?

Postby quattro » Fri Sep 04, 2020 8:01 pm

I'm looking to build a new vader 6x, but thinking of doing an hss setup. I've seen this done, but wondering who did it and how did it sound?

MrSparkle

Re: VADER HSS?

Postby MrSparkle » Sat Sep 12, 2020 10:10 pm

Haven't tried HSS, but following/curious...

I imagine the single-coils might sound too thin/bright, based on how my V6 with HBs sounds?

My Lithium (N) & Holdsworth (B) HBs already sound kind of "Stratty." The pro is they can also thicken up and punch harder; the con is they don't really have the sweetness of a Strat or LP. But the middle switch really does Strat quack quite well; about as convincing I've heard in a HB pair.

Just speculating, but I feel like the combo of neck-through and super-light mass might make for an unfavorable tonal recipe for single-coils.

But who knows? I was actually going to post a new thread about whether anyone has changed their Vader pickups. I was thinking of moving away from mine and trying something more in the PAF family. It'd be interesting to hear if anybody got an HSS V6 and replaced their Strat.

HarlowTheFish
Carvinite
Carvinite

Postby HarlowTheFish » Sun Sep 13, 2020 2:50 am

MrSparkle wrote:Just speculating, but I feel like the combo of neck-through and super-light mass might make for an unfavorable tonal recipe for single-coils.

I can't speak for a Vader, but my Strandberg Classic 6 (under 6lbs) is the best HSS Strat I've ever played or heard - the Michael Frank Braun pickups on those are legitimately good enough that I'd swap something else in just to keep them around if I ever sell it. As far as low-mass, I've found that those guitars generally sound a bit warmer, and as long as it's due to low weight and not super soft/junky woods it's generally just leaning a bit warm and you can easily make up the difference with a tiny bump in amp treble - I don't see why the neck-through would affect it any more than any other neck-through axe.
I actually really dig the split Lithiums (which are basically what the Lith singles are: just a single coil with pole pieces and bar mags), they have a bit more power than a standard single-coil and aren't super noisy. There was a video online of somebody with an SSS Lithium setup on a GH3 (24-fret, like the V6) and it sounded really sweet.

quattro

Postby quattro » Fri Sep 18, 2020 5:55 am

Thanks Harlow.

I currently have a V7 and using BKP Blackhawks, getting ready to try the Suhr 7+ and 7V set, as the BKP just lacks a bit of warmth that I've been accustomed to with my Dimarzios in other guitars. One of my friends had a Boden 6 Modern that he liked. Never got to play it. Maybe Jeff or another Kiesel rep can speak to the tonal outcomes of such a setup.

HarlowTheFish
Carvinite
Carvinite

Postby HarlowTheFish » Fri Sep 18, 2020 11:22 pm

quattro wrote:Thanks Harlow.

I currently have a V7 and using BKP Blackhawks, getting ready to try the Suhr 7+ and 7V set, as the BKP just lacks a bit of warmth that I've been accustomed to with my Dimarzios in other guitars. One of my friends had a Boden 6 Modern that he liked. Never got to play it. Maybe Jeff or another Kiesel rep can speak to the tonal outcomes of such a setup.

"Warmth" is a pretty broad term, but I don't know if any of the Kiesel pickups is really gonna get there for you -- I don't think they're lacking in warmth per se, but they're all very bright (The BKP lineup in general is similar) and to get to a more conventionally "warm" place you really need to use the tone knob. The Berylliums might have less top end, but the Lithiums at least are a pretty odd beast: they sound weird in comparison to my other humbucker guitars, but fit right in with single-coils. The Lithium single-coils at least (which I'm more familiar with than the Berylliums or Mark's singles) are literally just one coil from the Lithium humbucker, and the closest thing in the Dimarzio lineup is the SDS-1, which is both hotter and darker than the Lithium singles (which in general are more Tele-vibey than Strat), and the Lithium humbucker is probably closest to the D-Activator from the mids up and the Titan from the mids down, but with a really different playing feel (again, more single-coily and Tele-like).
You can also just send your own pickups to Kiesel with your own wiring diagram for an upcharge, but if you're not 100% feeling any of the Kiesel options it's not a bad option. I'd do a Transition/VV54Pro/VVHB2 setup from Dimarzio if you want something warm but more Strat in 2 & 4 or Transition/VVHB2/VSolo for something hotter/more rock.

Return to Kiesel Guitars / Carvin Guitars