80s colors

USA Custom Shop Acoustic and Electric Guitars

Moderators: Kevio, ElfDude, JesseM, ChrisH, peb, Mike Jones, Bundy, RockCrue, soundchick

killa j
Gold Member
Gold Member

80s colors

Postby killa j » Fri Apr 16, 2021 8:31 am

Not sure why, but I’m a big fan of cheesy 80s (and early 90s) colors. I have a hot pink Vader and KRG sparkle Delos so far. I want to get an Aries in another 80s color, but I can’t quite decide. Trying to keep this one cheap though, so no custom colors. It’s hard to tell from pictures how bright the McLaren Yellow and Ferrari Red are, but I’m thinking either of those with a maple fretboard and pointy headstock would do it.

helldorado
Carvinite
Carvinite

Re: 80s colors

Postby helldorado » Fri Apr 16, 2021 9:35 am

It's easy to be a fan, they're all great colors. I have Highlighter Pink and Tropic myself, KRG and McLaren yellow are on the wish list. I think McLaren Yellow and Ferrari Red are both pretty solid in terms of pigment intensity. You could make them lighter, but that would require diluting the pigment with white. The other option is to add the pearl coat which won't make them more intense, but it will reflect the light differently so it'll seem brighter. I also recommend going satin finish on solid colors. The light is refracted differently, so you have more color intensity.

Compare my satin V220 and DC600 vs the gloss crackle Aries.
PXL_20201203_205007354.jpg

Tropic, KRO and grabber blue are also solid options for an intense color.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post. Please REGISTER or LOG IN.

killa j
Gold Member
Gold Member

Postby killa j » Fri Apr 16, 2021 9:56 am

Tropic is brighter than I realized, that would work too. Give a Miami Vice kinda vibe with hot pink and tropic blue guitars. KRG sparkle ended up not being as neon as I’d hoped, but I think that’s just because of the clear color over sparkle.

helldorado
Carvinite
Carvinite

Postby helldorado » Fri Apr 16, 2021 2:02 pm

killa j wrote:Tropic is brighter than I realized, that would work too. Give a Miami Vice kinda vibe with hot pink and tropic blue guitars. KRG sparkle ended up not being as neon as I’d hoped, but I think that’s just because of the clear color over sparkle.

Yeah, tropic is a cool color because it will look blue or green depending on the light. It's the one guitar that always gets comments and it's my most basic build, lol

And you're right on the sparkle. They thin colors like KRG heavily to make it translucent, so you lose a lot of the color intensity until you're under bright lights where the sparkle shines best.

spudmunkey
Elite Carvinite
Elite Carvinite

Postby spudmunkey » Fri Apr 16, 2021 3:44 pm

How about white white. White is a very 80s color (suits, Lamborghini, cocaine), and in satin, it will practically glow under colored stage lighting.
Last edited by spudmunkey on Sun Apr 18, 2021 6:11 pm, edited 2 times in total.

helldorado
Carvinite
Carvinite

Postby helldorado » Fri Apr 16, 2021 3:55 pm

spudmunkey wrote:Aatim white white. White is a very 80s color (suits, Lamborghini, cocaine), and in satin, it will practically glow under colored stage lighting.

Excuse me sir, but lambos and cocaine are timeless.

amispy
Carvinite
Carvinite

Postby amispy » Sat Apr 17, 2021 5:27 am

Saw the thread title and made me think of this old catalog pic. Btw, call up Kiesel. They can match any of their older colors, including adding the pearl top coat. They can also match any color if you give them the pantone #.

88_guitarcolors-large1.jpg
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post. Please REGISTER or LOG IN.
AE185, 2 x A6H, AB5, Bolt, Cobalt 750T, DC200T, 2 x DC7X, D6H, 2 x D6X, JB200C, JH6, LB75, PB5, V220M, KV6X, 2 x V59K

HarlowTheFish
Carvinite
Carvinite

Postby HarlowTheFish » Sat Apr 17, 2021 2:26 pm

My CL6 is gloss Grabber Blue, and it's bright and reflective enough that in the dark, it's about as visible as the Luminlay on the fretboard. 80s vibes, but IMO a bit more modern and (with white pickups) a bit less congested than you might get with some day-glo/black hardware combos.

UnexplodedCow
Gold Carvinite
Gold Carvinite

Postby UnexplodedCow » Sun Apr 18, 2021 3:52 pm

I didn't get highlighter pink (wasn't an option that I knew of when I ordered my last one in '18). But...I most certainly have their trans pink, which is a beautiful color. Their sapphire blue is also always gorgeous.

We are entitled to our own, wrong, opinions.

Guitar theorem: G=X+1 where G= guitars one needs, and X = guitars one has.

Do or do not; there is no understand.

adamag98
Gold Member
Gold Member

Postby adamag98 » Sun May 02, 2021 3:54 pm

I became enamored with the electric guitar in the late 80's hair band era. Their guitars were often as visually loud as their hair and makeup.

I love bright colored guitars. In retrospec it is ironic that I ordered my DC400 with a Claro top. There was something organic about the photos that drew me to it.

When I clean up my MM Axis I can stare into the quilted balboa blue burst for days.

My next Keisel (if they'll do it - I assume they will) will be a Zebrawood topped CS6 with a transluscent hot pink finish. I've referenced buying another for years but next year is 15th anniversary so that'll be a good time for my wife to approve such a purchase again :) She gave me my MM for our 10 year. As long as I don't screw up and put MY name on the truss cover with the next one like I did with my first!!!!! Still catch S for that one.

spudmunkey
Elite Carvinite
Elite Carvinite

Postby spudmunkey » Sun May 02, 2021 7:24 pm

Pink on zebrawood (not mine) :)

11525_vm7dbbebrncztlmb5iliaisodzwfevo009bpzblak40250transpinkpurpleburstedges132570_IG_1.jpg

HarlowTheFish
Carvinite
Carvinite

Postby HarlowTheFish » Sun May 02, 2021 9:36 pm

I'm not gonna post it here because to be honest if causes me aesthetic pain, but I just wanted to remind y'all that if ya want loud, that horrid watermelon burst SCB is a thing that exists.

You're welcome <3

Greg Emm
Carvinite
Carvinite

Postby Greg Emm » Mon May 03, 2021 6:06 pm

HarlowTheFish wrote:I'm not gonna post it here because to be honest if causes me aesthetic pain, but I just wanted to remind y'all that if ya want loud, that horrid watermelon burst SCB is a thing that exists.

Uncanny ... I was JUST thinking about this guitar, wondering where it was now, who owns it.

spudmunkey
Elite Carvinite
Elite Carvinite

Postby spudmunkey » Mon May 03, 2021 7:56 pm

Greg Emm wrote:
HarlowTheFish wrote:I'm not gonna post it here because to be honest if causes me aesthetic pain, but I just wanted to remind y'all that if ya want loud, that horrid watermelon burst SCB is a thing that exists.

Uncanny ... I was JUST thinking about this guitar, wondering where it was now, who owns it.

There have been at least 2, maybe 3. Jeff made the K for himself first, and I think there's been a 2nd K and an SCB.

HarlowTheFish
Carvinite
Carvinite

Postby HarlowTheFish » Tue May 04, 2021 2:08 am

Greg Emm wrote:

Uncanny ... I was JUST thinking about this guitar, wondering where it was now,

a nuclear test site
who owns it.

the cockroaches

That's my headcanon anyway :evil:

helldorado
Carvinite
Carvinite

Postby helldorado » Tue May 04, 2021 10:20 am

Watermelon?

or OMGWATERFKKKMELON

helldorado
Carvinite
Carvinite

Postby helldorado » Thu May 06, 2021 4:43 pm

spudmunkey wrote:There have been at least 2, maybe 3. Jeff made the K for himself first, and I think there's been a 2nd K and an SCB.

I think he heard you... :shh: :shh: :shh:

Screenshot 2021-05-06 184306.png

I'm also guessing that K was in GIS before Jeff decided to buy it for himself? Because he says it's his, and it's also the same guitar I found a GIS photo for.

Return to Kiesel Guitars / Carvin Guitars