If Jeff did a November Nostalgia promotion, what old model would you want him to bring back?

USA Custom Shop Acoustic and Electric Guitars

Moderators: Kevio, ElfDude, JesseM, soundchick, peb, ChrisH, Bundy, RockCrue

Benzene
Newbie
Newbie
Posts: 28
Joined: Sep 2020

If Jeff did a November Nostalgia promotion, what old model would you want him to bring back?

Postby Benzene » Tue Jul 05, 2022 8:38 pm

After the death of the AE185, which only died because I was thinking about ordering one, I was thinking about how companies bring back older models every now and then. Clothing companies do retro jerseys for sports teams, car companies bring back older model options, candy companies bring back old flavors. If Jeff brought back one old model every year as part of November Nostalgia event, what model would you want him to bring back for you?

Also, Jeff if your reading this please need to bring back the SH7 this year. Thanks!!!

User avatar
spudmunkey
Elite Carvinite
Elite Carvinite
Posts: 19562
Joined: Jan 2008
Location: San Francisco Bay Area

Re: If Jeff did a November Nostalgia promotion, what old model would you want him to bring back?

Postby spudmunkey » Tue Jul 05, 2022 9:25 pm

I bet if you called them, you could get an AE185. When a model gets discontinued, that's usually "last call". :stir: It just requires 100% pre payment (not just 30% down), and there isn't a 10-day trial period (but still would have the 5-year warranty).

Ones I'd enjoy and think they'd sell OK:

That said...I never thought I'd say this, but...the Bolt+. I respected the hell out of it but never desired one over the Bolt or C66 models of the day...but I know that several people, when they had multiple Carvins, that was one people often said was their favorite. And I'm coming around to that sort of rounded-edge s-type aesthetic. That said, I'd also be OK with what I'll call a "Delos S" (Delos without a pickguard). Amusingly, when the virtual builder was new, there was a way to trick it into showing a Delos (and HD) without a pickguard, but it's not something you can order. Even more amusingly, if you did trick the builder, it would still show the pickguard mounting screws. :lol:

I could also see a return of the OG DC150/160 (not the neck-through "re-issue").


The ones I'd want most, though:
CL450
AC375

User avatar
2Plus2isChicken
Gold Carvinite
Gold Carvinite
Posts: 1992
Joined: Jan 2009
Location: Nashville, TN

Re: If Jeff did a November Nostalgia promotion, what old model would you want him to bring back?

Postby 2Plus2isChicken » Tue Jul 05, 2022 11:04 pm

Probably a DC145, but only if I could get it at a reasonable price. When I got the one I have in 2008 the price was great. Now everything Kiesel sells is about double what I would want to pay for it, so I’m pretty uninterested in the brand, especially when us lefties don’t get a 10-day trial anymore. I remember buying a brand new Bolt for $999 just nine years ago. What happened to that price?
Guitars:
2x Carvin Bolt
DC145
AE185
Ibanez RG1570
Ibanez RGA42FMLBLF
2x Fender MIM Strat
Ovation Celebrity

Amps:
VT16
Quilter Tone Block 201
Quilter Overdrive 200
Fender Super Champ XD
Carvin Legacy II 2 x 12 cab

User avatar
spudmunkey
Elite Carvinite
Elite Carvinite
Posts: 19562
Joined: Jan 2008
Location: San Francisco Bay Area

Re: If Jeff did a November Nostalgia promotion, what old model would you want him to bring back?

Postby spudmunkey » Wed Jul 06, 2022 12:00 am

2Plus2isChicken wrote:Probably a DC145, but only if I could get it at a reasonable price. When I got the one I have in 2008 the price was great. Now everything Kiesel sells is about double what I would hbwant to pay for it, so I’m pretty uninterested in the brand, especially when us lefties don’t get a 10-day trial anymore. I remember buying a brand new Bolt for $999 just nine years ago. What happened to that price?


FWIW, tracking with inflation, that $999 in 2013 has the same buying power as just shy of $1300 today (well, technically May). The Delos is currently $1399, and comes with a case (at least for now), narrowing that difference to about $20-50. Then in 2017, stainless frets were made standard, which were a $30 option, if I remember right. So for all intents and purposes, a $1399 2022 Delos is roughly the same price as a 2013 Bolt + case + stainless frets.

Neck through have definitely seen a steeper ramp-up, though. There was one bump where the neck-through to bolt-on difference went from $50 to $200 a few years back.

Keisari
Newbie
Newbie
Posts: 20
Joined: Sep 2019

Re: If Jeff did a November Nostalgia promotion, what old model would you want him to bring back?

Postby Keisari » Wed Jul 06, 2022 5:41 am

I would go with maybe Bolt with floyd as an option or attleast a gotoh trem.

BriMan
Gold Member
Gold Member
Posts: 108
Joined: Mar 2008
Location: California

Re: If Jeff did a November Nostalgia promotion, what old model would you want him to bring back?

Postby BriMan » Wed Jul 06, 2022 9:30 am

Holdsworth Fatboy

User avatar
2Plus2isChicken
Gold Carvinite
Gold Carvinite
Posts: 1992
Joined: Jan 2009
Location: Nashville, TN

Re: If Jeff did a November Nostalgia promotion, what old model would you want him to bring back?

Postby 2Plus2isChicken » Wed Jul 06, 2022 1:13 pm

spudmunkey wrote:
2Plus2isChicken wrote:Probably a DC145, but only if I could get it at a reasonable price. When I got the one I have in 2008 the price was great. Now everything Kiesel sells is about double what I would hbwant to pay for it, so I’m pretty uninterested in the brand, especially when us lefties don’t get a 10-day trial anymore. I remember buying a brand new Bolt for $999 just nine years ago. What happened to that price?


FWIW, tracking with inflation, that $999 in 2013 has the same buying power as just shy of $1300 today (well, technically May). The Delos is currently $1399, and comes with a case (at least for now), narrowing that difference to about $20-50. Then in 2017, stainless frets were made standard, which were a $30 option, if I remember right. So for all intents and purposes, a $1399 2022 Delos is roughly the same price as a 2013 Bolt + case + stainless frets.

Neck through have definitely seen a steeper ramp-up, though. There was one bump where the neck-through to bolt-on difference went from $50 to $200 a few years back.


Configuring a Delos that is as close the $999 Bolt I bought as I can possibly get feature-wise it comes out to $2099. In 2013 a $1000 Bolt still left you with a little bit of room for a few option upgrades. Now it's like every option adds $100+ to the total.
Guitars:
2x Carvin Bolt
DC145
AE185
Ibanez RG1570
Ibanez RGA42FMLBLF
2x Fender MIM Strat
Ovation Celebrity

Amps:
VT16
Quilter Tone Block 201
Quilter Overdrive 200
Fender Super Champ XD
Carvin Legacy II 2 x 12 cab

Benzene
Newbie
Newbie
Posts: 28
Joined: Sep 2020

Re: If Jeff did a November Nostalgia promotion, what old model would you want him to bring back?

Postby Benzene » Wed Jul 06, 2022 5:55 pm

I was not expecting this many people to want the Bolt. But the AC375 classical guitar with the sound-hole and pickup looked good. I imagine the pickup with the solid top is better for amplifying nylon strings. I've never tried one btw.

User avatar
spudmunkey
Elite Carvinite
Elite Carvinite
Posts: 19562
Joined: Jan 2008
Location: San Francisco Bay Area

Re: If Jeff did a November Nostalgia promotion, what old model would you want him to bring back?

Postby spudmunkey » Wed Jul 06, 2022 6:29 pm

2Plus2isChicken wrote:Configuring a Delos that is as close the $999 Bolt I bought as I can possibly get feature-wise it comes out to $2099. In 2013 a $1000 Bolt still left you with a little bit of room for a few option upgrades. Now it's like every option adds $100+ to the total.


Ahh, good call. My brain didn't even go to the possibility of the $999 being one with options, it went straight to the base price. :wall:

Benzene wrote:But the AC375 classical guitar with the sound-hole and pickup looked good. I imagine the pickup with the solid top is better for amplifying nylon strings. I've never tried one btw.


I'm not 100% sure I quite understand. The AC375 was a fully hollow steel-string acoustic. The CL450 was a classical guitar, also fully-hollow. I don't ever recall seeing a CL450 without a soundhole. The other nylon string is the NS1, but that one's basically a chambered solid-body guitar without a soundhole, but with a rear-routed control cavity. I don't believe the CL450 nor the AC375 could be had without a soundhole. :think:

User avatar
relias7505
Platinum Member
Platinum Member
Posts: 256
Joined: Dec 2015
Location: Media, PA

Re: If Jeff did a November Nostalgia promotion, what old model would you want him to bring back?

Postby relias7505 » Thu Jul 07, 2022 3:47 am

I have a CL450, really nice guitar
My Kiesel/Carvin collection: ST300 (M22SD bridge, S60A middle, Twin Blade neck), SCB6 (S22B bridge, S22J neck), Bolt Classic (AP11's in all positions), SH550 (S22T in the neck and bridge), CS3 Goldtop (Beryllium bridge and Gambale neck), AC375, CL450 and CC275 12 String.

badmotorfinger74
Newbie
Newbie
Posts: 27
Joined: Feb 2017

Re: If Jeff did a November Nostalgia promotion, what old model would you want him to bring back?

Postby badmotorfinger74 » Sat Jul 09, 2022 12:37 pm

I kind of wish that the AC40/AC50 basses would've stayed around a bit longer. I was just getting my first Kiesel when they discontinued them, so they were pretty low on my "must buy" list, but I think I would've liked one eventually. I love the thinline acoustic idea (just got a CC275 a few months ago) and having a bass with that premise would be fun.

bonga_rascal
Gold Member
Gold Member
Posts: 53
Joined: Sep 2010

Re: If Jeff did a November Nostalgia promotion, what old model would you want him to bring back?

Postby bonga_rascal » Sun Jul 10, 2022 2:12 am

Easy.

Holdsworth Fatboy HF1.

This guitar was such a unique one - it had construction unlike anything I've seen and an interesting sound too. If Jeff actually does do this, I'll buy one for sure.

User avatar
Koshchei
Platinum Carvinite
Platinum Carvinite
Posts: 2590
Joined: Nov 2007
Location: Peterborough, Ontario

Re: If Jeff did a November Nostalgia promotion, what old model would you want him to bring back?

Postby Koshchei » Mon Jul 11, 2022 3:50 pm

Came here to say "Holdsworth Fatboy" as well. It was a completely unique and distinctive design.

User avatar
ElfDude
Moderator
Moderator
Posts: 11476
Joined: Jan 2007
Location: In and around the lake

Re: If Jeff did a November Nostalgia promotion, what old model would you want him to bring back?

Postby ElfDude » Tue Jul 12, 2022 6:24 am

Wasn't there a period of time that they'd do a Fatboy with a Bigsby?
If they offered that again it would sure tempt me...
Aries A6H, CS6M, SH445, Contour 66, AE185, DC135, CT4M, Bolt, Bolt T, SH225, LB76F, Nomad, VT16 Head, V410, Pro Bass 100
Midlife Crisis on Facebook
The Tri-Chevys on Facebook

User avatar
spudmunkey
Elite Carvinite
Elite Carvinite
Posts: 19562
Joined: Jan 2008
Location: San Francisco Bay Area

Re: If Jeff did a November Nostalgia promotion, what old model would you want him to bring back?

Postby spudmunkey » Tue Jul 12, 2022 11:57 am

ElfDude wrote:Wasn't there a period of time that they'd do a Fatboy with a Bigsby?


On the H2, yes, but I don't *think* it was ever offered on the Fatboy. :think:

User avatar
ElfDude
Moderator
Moderator
Posts: 11476
Joined: Jan 2007
Location: In and around the lake

Re: If Jeff did a November Nostalgia promotion, what old model would you want him to bring back?

Postby ElfDude » Tue Jul 12, 2022 12:39 pm

spudmunkey wrote:
ElfDude wrote:Wasn't there a period of time that they'd do a Fatboy with a Bigsby?


On the H2, yes, but I don't *think* it was ever offered on the Fatboy. :think:


The synth model. That's what it was!

Image
Aries A6H, CS6M, SH445, Contour 66, AE185, DC135, CT4M, Bolt, Bolt T, SH225, LB76F, Nomad, VT16 Head, V410, Pro Bass 100
Midlife Crisis on Facebook
The Tri-Chevys on Facebook

User avatar
spudmunkey
Elite Carvinite
Elite Carvinite
Posts: 19562
Joined: Jan 2008
Location: San Francisco Bay Area

Re: If Jeff did a November Nostalgia promotion, what old model would you want him to bring back?

Postby spudmunkey » Tue Jul 12, 2022 12:46 pm

ElfDude wrote:
spudmunkey wrote:
ElfDude wrote:Wasn't there a period of time that they'd do a Fatboy with a Bigsby?


On the H2, yes, but I don't *think* it was ever offered on the Fatboy. :think:


The synth model. That's what it was!

Image


Ahh, cool! I forgot about the HF2S!

helldorado
Gold Carvinite
Gold Carvinite
Posts: 1408
Joined: Jan 2018

Re: If Jeff did a November Nostalgia promotion, what old model would you want him to bring back?

Postby helldorado » Tue Jul 12, 2022 2:18 pm

Some of these guitars are fine examples of why ending a model is a mercy kill. :lol:

User avatar
DannyB819
Gold Carvinite
Gold Carvinite
Posts: 1360
Joined: Mar 2007

Re: If Jeff did a November Nostalgia promotion, what old model would you want him to bring back?

Postby DannyB819 » Tue Jul 12, 2022 6:33 pm

DC4 for me. I still pine for the DC4 I didn't buy before the Hollywood store closed down all those years ago. Plain maple top, crimson red with natural binding, ebony board, TOM/stoptail, 2 vol/2 tone, block inlays. A reissue of that could actually get me to buy from Kiesel again, but it's got about as much chance of happening as the Jets winning the Super Bowl in my lifetime.

User avatar
JCG
Platinum Carvinite
Platinum Carvinite
Posts: 2780
Joined: Mar 2014
Location: PA

Re: If Jeff did a November Nostalgia promotion, what old model would you want him to bring back?

Postby JCG » Thu Jul 14, 2022 1:24 pm

First choice would be the DC127/135.
Second would be the Bolt+.


Return to Kiesel Guitars / Carvin Guitars

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 14 guests