KIESEL VIRTUAL BUILDER COMING MONDAY! THIS IS NOT A DRILL!

Post Pictures of Your Kiesel Guitars / Carvin Guitars Gear - No Cowbelling!

Moderators: Kevio, ElfDude, JesseM, soundchick, peb, ChrisH, Bundy, RockCrue

spudmunkey
Elite Carvinite
Elite Carvinite

Re: KIESEL VIRTUAL BUILDER COMING MONDAY! THIS IS NOT A DRILL!

Postby spudmunkey » Wed Oct 13, 2021 4:50 pm

last week, jeff had mentioned "two months" for the bass builder. I thought that was optimistic, and it sounds like this week the updated official word is "Q1, 2022".

They decided it's not worth the cost/effort to have the builder reflect changes to scale length. Amusingly it does show the different fret counts, but when you do that, because the bridges don't move, it *looks* like it's a scale length change. :lol: There are a couple of ways kiesel handles different fret combinations, and it looks like they just show one body type and just move the neck. They don't show two different bodies like on the Delos, and they don't move the bridge like for the Aries, CT, CS.

The builder lets you delete the neck pickup (where applicable, except for the Delos, which is the only bolt-on you can delete the neck pickup). No option to delete the tone knob, though, I suspect because they'd also have to add two control options: just deleting the tone knob, or deleting the volume knob location, then putting the volume knob in the tone knob's location.

spudmunkey
Elite Carvinite
Elite Carvinite

Postby spudmunkey » Fri Oct 15, 2021 2:30 am

I find I've fallen into a slump where I've settled into building the same 3-4 guitars over and over.

I wish the builder had a randomizer function, where it would just load a random selection of specs. I would likely pull up finish and wood combos I wouldn't normally think of. Sometimes I'll build one guitar like an SH550 and just change it to a avanquish on a whim, and it'll look really cool. And not a spec I'd have ever thought of for that model.

helldorado
Gold Carvinite
Gold Carvinite

Postby helldorado » Fri Oct 15, 2021 5:17 am

I only have two things on my wish list for the builder.

- 3/4 angle view, something where you could get a better view of the top and body wood together and the bevels. With the direct overhead view, you really don't see the how the top and body woods look, or things like the 3 piece body, or binding unless there's a bevel that really exposes it from the top view.

2021-10-15_7-20-14.png

- hot pink for example. Get in some of the "standard" colors that have been on and off menu over the years but they do at no charge. It's weird that you can choose pink inlays but not get hot pink as a body finish. That was an issue in general, in terms of finding examples of named finishes that had a semi-official status, and with the gallery disappearing, it's even harder to find examples of things like autumn burst, summer ash, monster burst, arctic, etc...

The randomizer would be cool, just have a starting spot to give you fresh ideas. I also have found that most of my builds tend t
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post. Please REGISTER or LOG IN.

spudmunkey
Elite Carvinite
Elite Carvinite

Postby spudmunkey » Fri Oct 15, 2021 10:30 am

Yeah, I've been asking for a 3/4 for years for their gallery photos, too. It would have made photoshops harder, but being able to see the BBE, and the RNC in the "front" view of non-beveled models would be great.

The way Fender's done it, though, with their fully interactive 3D model...the only way we'd see that in the next 5-15 years is if Kiesel didn't already pay for this 2D builder. :lol: But it would be super cool.

spudmunkey
Elite Carvinite
Elite Carvinite

Postby spudmunkey » Tue Oct 19, 2021 8:19 pm

The NS1 currently offers optional chambering on the builder. :lol:

Go ahead...chamber this. :laughhard:

helldorado
Gold Carvinite
Gold Carvinite

Postby helldorado » Wed Oct 20, 2021 12:18 pm

spudmunkey wrote:The NS1 currently offers optional chambering on the builder. :lol:

But if that is the optional chambering, imagine how a solid body nylon string guitar would sound. :lol:

spudmunkey
Elite Carvinite
Elite Carvinite

Postby spudmunkey » Thu Oct 21, 2021 1:25 am

helldorado wrote:
spudmunkey wrote:The NS1 currently offers optional chambering on the builder. :lol:

But if that is the optional chambering, imagine how a solid body nylon string guitar would sound. :lol:

You know...I've always wanted to have a piezo-only "electric guitar", a traditionally styled one, with piezo only. I know they exist, in both steel and nylon strings, but have never played one. It seems like most of the ones I've seen still have narrow nuts like an electric, which I wouldn't care for...

A random error: the tuner hole locations are backwards on the pointed 3+3 headstock icons. :laughhard:
cc08f86326ea276b06183d1ee8d789c1.jpg

They are correct on the renderings, though.

cc08f86326ea276b06183d1ee8d789c1.jpg
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post. Please REGISTER or LOG IN.

helldorado
Gold Carvinite
Gold Carvinite

Postby helldorado » Fri Oct 22, 2021 11:29 am

spudmunkey wrote:You know...I've always wanted to have a piezo-only "electric guitar", a traditionally styled one, with piezo only. I know they exist, in both steel and nylon strings, but have never played one. It seems like most of the ones I've seen still have narrow nuts like an electric, which I wouldn't care for...

But piezo by itself is so brittle and shrill a tone. :oops: I think a going for a neck pickup only to blend in would be killer. I've seen that setup on other guitars, and you get the best warmth of the magnetic neck pickup to add some fullness to the piezo only tone, without losing too much of that plugged-in acoustic sound.

spudmunkey
Elite Carvinite
Elite Carvinite

Postby spudmunkey » Fri Oct 22, 2021 4:01 pm

helldorado wrote:But piezo by itself is so brittle and shrill a tone. :oops: I think a going for a neck pickup only to blend in would be killer. I've seen that setup on other guitars, and you get the best warmth of the magnetic neck pickup to add some fullness to the piezo only tone, without losing too much of that plugged-in acoustic sound.

That would be more flexible, too...but EQ and IRs give my piezo everything I could want from it, and don't want for anything else.

But I guess I'm just talking about the look, more than anything, as a reason I'd want it. It's just so...disorienting. :lol:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CXRLSM39vaA&t=350s

helldorado
Gold Carvinite
Gold Carvinite

Postby helldorado » Sat Oct 23, 2021 10:26 am

Ah, the beauty of piezo pickups. A $13,500 guitar that sounds the same as a $500 acoustic/electric. :lol: Unlike mag pickups, piezo has such amazing uniformity in tone.

You really do need to EQ the crap out of it to make it decent, unless you actually want "piezo" tone. Some acoustic modeling and something like a Sansamp DI for acoustic can make it reasonable, but I still need some sort of balancing input like on-board microphone or mag pickup to make it more tolerable.

Return to Kiesel Guitars / Carvin Guitars Photo Gallery