Where is that gallery with the selector dropdowns?

Post Pictures of Your Kiesel Guitars / Carvin Guitars Gear - No Cowbelling!

Moderators: Kevio, ElfDude, JesseM, soundchick, peb, ChrisH, Bundy, RockCrue

User avatar
PowerTube
Carvinite
Carvinite
Posts: 583
Joined: Dec 2014

Where is that gallery with the selector dropdowns?

Postby PowerTube » Wed Dec 29, 2021 8:47 am

I used to view a Carvin gallery where you could select the color, or the model, or the wood type, or...

It was great, and allowed searching a bazillion different ways. Now all I can find is a gallery where you click thumbnails of different guitars.

Anyone know where the great one went?
Click to see my babies:

ImageImage

helldorado
Gold Carvinite
Gold Carvinite
Posts: 1220
Joined: Jan 2018

Re: Where is that gallery with the selector dropdowns?

Postby helldorado » Wed Dec 29, 2021 8:53 am

It went poof with the site upgrade. No idea if it'll come back in an updated form. We still have the GIS archive, but that's just hunt and peck.

http://gisarchive.carvinguitars.com/

For as nice as the new builder is, they lost a ton of information. The model pages, the gallery, etc.. none of it is nearly as helpful for seeing real examples or getting the proper model info, and the builder is not a reliable source for confirming options.

User avatar
spudmunkey
Elite Carvinite
Elite Carvinite
Posts: 19272
Joined: Jan 2008
Location: San Francisco Bay Area

Re: Where is that gallery with the selector dropdowns?

Postby spudmunkey » Wed Dec 29, 2021 11:40 am

When people have asked the "where's the gallery?" and "is the gallery coming back?" questions in the Q&A, the answer's been "No, because virtual builder.".

I think we're trading compromises, and I can see it both ways....but of course wish the gallery was still available in some filterable form.

Without the gallery, sure, it's a bummer not having a quick-to-scroll-through thought-starter, and they are "real life examples".

...on the other side, when they change how they do bursts, or stop offering an option, they have to cull those "old" pictures from the gallery...or else you end up with 1/2 the gallery being filled with "old" versions like the DC600 body shapes pre-and-post redesign. Remember when Kiesel was going to transition to thin bursts, but every photo example in the gallery still had the "normal" thickness burst, giving a false sense of what a customer would get. Because the photos spanned literal years, there were still going to be inconsistencies that complicate direct comparisons: different photographers, different backdrops, different lighting.

Of course the builder has accuracy challenges, as well. Both in how some finish combinations are rendered, but also more foundational things. 22-fret and 24-fret Delis (plural of Delos, pronounced DAY-liss) both look like they have the same body, but don't in real life. And when you change, the displayed guitar looks like it changes scale...but when you actually chose the longer scale, the rendering doesn't change.

With the gallery, there were lots of options that never made it to the gallery, too. Especially new finishes, which could take half or a year before you'd get a few examples in the gallery. And of course there's be no possible way to show all of the combinations, which would be a huge reason to use the gallery....but while that's a "con" of the gallery, a big "pro" was the "custom finishes" drop-down, for all sorts of photos of Arctics, custom colors, custom fades, non-standard woods, etc etc.

jayhawknavy02
Newbie
Newbie
Posts: 38
Joined: Jan 2021

Re: Where is that gallery with the selector dropdowns?

Postby jayhawknavy02 » Sat Jan 08, 2022 1:46 pm

helldorado wrote:It went poof with the site upgrade. No idea if it'll come back in an updated form. We still have the GIS archive, but that's just hunt and peck.

For as nice as the new builder is, they lost a ton of information. The model pages, the gallery, etc.. none of it is nearly as helpful for seeing real examples or getting the proper model info, and the builder is not a reliable source for confirming options.


In one of Jeff's videos he said it was removed because builder provides the functionality for the reasons SpudMunkey addresses.

spudmunkey wrote:I think we're trading compromises, and I can see it both ways....but of course wish the gallery was still available in some filterable form. Without the gallery, sure, it's a bummer not having a quick-to-scroll-through thought-starter, and they are "real life examples".


Agreed. I wish there was some gallery to have an idea as the builder is close, but seeing a finished product is nice.

spudmunkey wrote:...on the other side, when they change how they do bursts, or stop offering an option, they have to cull those "old" pictures from the gallery...or else you end up with 1/2 the gallery being filled with "old" versions like the DC600 body shapes pre-and-post redesign.


Yep, this got me. I preferred the older shape and didn't realize (also didn't pay good enough attention either) that the shape had changed, because it was subtle. It was correct on the main page, but the gallery had the older versions. Now after 5 months of waiting I think I prefer it....so there is that.

spudmunkey wrote:Of course the builder has accuracy challenges, as well. Both in how some finish combinations are rendered, but also more foundational things. 22-fret and 24-fret Delis (plural of Delos, pronounced DAY-liss) both look like they have the same body, but don't in real life. And when you change, the displayed guitar looks like it changes scale...but when you actually chose the longer scale, the rendering doesn't change.


Yep, I think for some combinations or finishes there should be at least one photo to show you an example. "Sunburst" flame tops look "ok" in builder, go to google and they look amazing.


Return to Kiesel Guitars / Carvin Guitars Photo Gallery

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 11 guests