Guest guitar work

Share music you've made with your Kiesel Guitars / Carvin Guitars gear.

Moderators: Kevio, ElfDude, JesseM, soundchick, peb, ChrisH, Bundy, RockCrue

UnexplodedCow
Gold Carvinite
Gold Carvinite

Guest guitar work

Postby UnexplodedCow » Fri Aug 06, 2021 9:01 am

I have a friend who's heavy into making dance/EDM music, and he's begun requesting some guitar licks. Here's one work-in-progress version. Playin' the pink Z6X. I hope someone enjoys this.

https://www.bandlab.com/red_eye1982/fre ... e-f1c1fb93
We are entitled to our own, wrong, opinions.

Guitar theorem: G=X+1 where G= guitars one needs, and X = guitars one has.

Do or do not; there is no understand.

UnexplodedCow
Gold Carvinite
Gold Carvinite

Re: Guest guitar work

Postby UnexplodedCow » Fri Sep 17, 2021 10:04 am

Assuming anyone is interested, we did another one. There are others, too, but one at a time, I suppose. Did guitar and bass on this one, both Zeus models.

https://www.bandlab.com/red_eye1982/sum ... 4a5e796c42

Sunset
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Postby Sunset » Sat Sep 18, 2021 6:44 am

Fun!

Your single note playing is unpredictable. I really like that. :rockon:

I know folks love simple repetition. But for me, nothing kills a piece like knowing what the next note will be.

UnexplodedCow
Gold Carvinite
Gold Carvinite

Postby UnexplodedCow » Tue Sep 21, 2021 9:28 am

I've been called "weird" and "unconventional" before, but never "unpredictable." I will add that to the list :P

UnexplodedCow
Gold Carvinite
Gold Carvinite

Postby UnexplodedCow » Thu Sep 30, 2021 1:30 pm

Here's another, though it's just me. Lots of noises, clicks, and oddities. The "vocals" are also a bit out there (sound clips).

https://soundcloud.com/user-302982471/dude

Sunset
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Postby Sunset » Sat Oct 02, 2021 6:34 am

You can add “quirky” to the list as well. 8) So none of the “vocals” are you?

UnexplodedCow
Gold Carvinite
Gold Carvinite

Postby UnexplodedCow » Tue Oct 05, 2021 5:50 pm

Negative - those are all various clips I stitched together from someone I used to work with; and who would obsess over transformers toys. They always came across as mildly creepy with their reactions, or non-sequitur sentences; this is what I tried to convey in the song.

The scream for the "chorus" is another friend who happened to send me that years ago.

It's kind of a weird song.

UnexplodedCow
Gold Carvinite
Gold Carvinite

Postby UnexplodedCow » Wed Oct 06, 2021 4:53 pm

Here's another I did bass on for a good friend, who then asked that I come up with a "wild guitar solo." It is, predictably, me.

https://dansvillebricksthatbuild.bandca ... go-bananas

Sunset
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Postby Sunset » Wed Oct 13, 2021 7:32 am

Cool solo man!

But I think the toughest job on that one was coming up with a suitable rhyme counter point to “bananas”. :lol:

UnexplodedCow
Gold Carvinite
Gold Carvinite

Postby UnexplodedCow » Wed Oct 13, 2021 7:50 am

:lol:
"Nothing rhymes with orange."

Here's a list of possible rhyming words, though none of them seem particularly useful:

https://www.rhymezone.com/r/rhyme.cgi?& ... ord=banana

Koshchei
Platinum Carvinite
Platinum Carvinite

Postby Koshchei » Sun Nov 28, 2021 11:02 am

Really cool synthesis of genres! I really like how far out there you're willing to take it!

UnexplodedCow
Gold Carvinite
Gold Carvinite

Postby UnexplodedCow » Thu Jan 27, 2022 10:31 pm

Been off track for a while, and gearing up to actually work more. This is in rough process, but I assisted with the bass and several guitar tracks (the seeker wah was really fun).

It's sloppy in spots (being kind), because this was a single, cold take for the fun of it (and I'm hoping it works out). 100% on the spot improv (my friend enjoys the "rawness" of the takes).

So, here it is:
https://www.bandlab.com/saxicolous/reigning-f98be133

Sunset
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Postby Sunset » Fri Jan 28, 2022 6:35 am

I liked it. Good blend of modal and pentatonic imho.

5min of on the spot improv without a lot of repetitive and/or derivative runs while still carrying some sort of melody is challenging. At least for me. Better Improv and phrasing have been my 2 major goals for about a year now. I work them into my practice time every day, and the results are promising. The last week or so I’ve been concentrating on an 8min A Lydian backing track…it’s hard to NOT sound like Joe. :lol: Also hard to not be repetitive.

Do you have any particular methods or tactics that help you improvise for 8min while keeping good flow/continuity? I dunno, like a strategy that helps map out the flow in real time? Like a strategy to somehow keep Vic Wooten’s 10 periodic elements of groove in mind while improvising?

I know, kind of a big ask. But this site can’t be ALL wood and wires.

UnexplodedCow
Gold Carvinite
Gold Carvinite

Postby UnexplodedCow » Fri Jan 28, 2022 11:25 am

I appreciate the response!

Honestly, the VI, IV, I, V chord progression is pretty trite these days (something like 90% of pop songs use it), so that's not hard to improv around. I mostly try to add some sort of melodic idea to it, with a lot of riffing in between. Hang on a note, do a quick scale or progression to the next major note of interest. Sometimes go for wide intervals and octaves to make it feel more interesting, perhaps add emotion.

The last main section of the song is a good example of the above: lot of scalar work, some arpeggios, staccato notes, and some wide-interval octave stuff (the dive bomb into the upper register for example).

The bass guitar was definitely tonic and doing pentatonic stuff in the quiet breakdown section. Unavoidable IMO, as I don't want it to be too dissonant.

Also, I don't know all that much theory, and am slowly relearning. Practicing is mostly focusing on picking hand work, and then hand synchronization, as I've recently noticed that my left hand actually lags behind the right hand some. I also used very stiff/thick picks, and had a lot of chirp, or a soft attack, which has its purpose, but I'm wanting to be more percussive.

Anyway, I just noodle along with stuff, get ideas and try experimenting with them. The night I recorded this, I'd spent a couple hours jamming along to old songs I grew up hearing, even ones I'd never played with before. It put me in the mood to take on the song in a blind way.

I guess the main thing in doing improv is to avoid a lot of muscle memory phrases, and try not to focus on the speedy exercises that sound neat. I like an adventure - where the music has returns here and there, maybe expounding on a phrase or idea, but going elsewhere - maybe dissonant, or jazz, or something. Depends on the song. If I do bass, it's almost guaranteed to be busy, as I do not like tonic only work, but it does have its place (this song, until the breakdown, for example).

Much of what I do is in the moment, trying to capture a feeling. It's not magic - just one hack attempt after another :P

Nonetheless, I'm glad you enjoyed it, and it's fun to make these diddys.

Sunset
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Postby Sunset » Mon Jan 31, 2022 6:10 am

I did enjoy it. And thx for the improv advice, I’ll fold it all into my tool bag and keep working. :rockon:

Interesting to note you purposely jam for a couple hours to come at the piece from a “blind” perspective. I seem to be somewhat opposite. Some of my freshest and imo coolest improv almost always happens as soon as I pick up the instrument. I’ve learned, painfully at times, to track everything right off the bat. Especially the first 5min or so. Musical ideas are such slippery fish for me. I can’t count how many times Ive lost a good one in just the 1.5sec it took to hover the mouse over the red button and click. Then, spending the next 30min trying to recapture the idea and ultimately giving up amongst a torrent of bad words and vile language.

UnexplodedCow
Gold Carvinite
Gold Carvinite

Postby UnexplodedCow » Wed Feb 02, 2022 7:58 pm

I spend time "loosening up," as it were. Doing warmups, exercises, which I'll incorporate into playing along with songs to provide a steadier rhythm, as well as make it more fun than doing the same riffs for a half hour. It gets my mind working.

However, once I'm all warmed up, the first take or two are going to usually be the "freshest" in terms of not falling into the practice rut of muscle memory riffing. If I did less improv, focusing more on developing the ideas, I'd avoid that pitfall entirely.

I am not, at all, a pro, nor even close...just some guy who's played and done zilch with it for a couple decades. Spent some time teaching it, and re-learning the instrument after some broken hands, partly crushed finger, broken elbow, and a separated ulna at the wrist. Also playing in the wrong hand, so I've had to work extremely hard to get where I am.

I did do lefty playing for a while, but gave it up and focused on right-handed, at which point it did pay off once I really focused on picking hand exercises for about 4 years. It's a handicap, and I still work on improving it, getting better synchronization, accuracy, and speed.

Overall, I actually feel like I'm a crappy player, but figured why not put myself out there and see what happens - which (to my surprise) people are more supportive.

Side note on that: I miss a lot of the people who used to frequent these forums, and of all the ones I've been part of over the years, this one has remained the most civil and balanced. You guys rock.

Sunset
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Postby Sunset » Sat Feb 05, 2022 6:20 am

So, you’re right handed and injured it? Then started playing lefty and ditched that to go back righty which took awhile because injuries? Man, you sound like you have a straight up moto racer mentality.

Agree re this bbs. The whole bbs format thing has mostly been subsumed by FB, IG, etc it seems. There’s was only one other bbs I bothered with, but It’s gone from a fun diversion full of lots of clever people and different viewpoints to a revolting ****hole full of:
-pseudo intellectual clowns spewing political dogma in a desperate attempt to “win the internets” and somehow validate their meaningless existences.
-cowards who type things that would get their faces split open if they had the balls to say those things IRL. Which of course they don’t.
-the stench of fear and hysteria emanating primarily from scared old white guys

This little underutilized backwater bbs is a legit oasis from all that. I sincerely appreciate the folks here.

UnexplodedCow
Gold Carvinite
Gold Carvinite

Postby UnexplodedCow » Sat Feb 05, 2022 1:37 pm

Oh, no, I'm a lefty with heavy cross dominance.

I started playing righty because that was all I had, and started with a broken right hand in a cast to my elbow. It got me out of work at that time (age 14) and I had the guitar given to me as a kid, so I picked it up and started playing.

Other injuries happened over the years, and after tearing the ulna off my right wrist, I tried lefty for a while, and played both left and right for a while, and then slacked on lefty, went back to righty and kept working on the picking hand. Getting a Zeus solved a lot of wrist issues - that bevel has been a godsend.

I can write left or right handed, but prefer left, I'm fairly cross dominant for most things, though usually prefer the left. Moto racer mentality - I like that!

Koshchei
Platinum Carvinite
Platinum Carvinite

Postby Koshchei » Sun Apr 10, 2022 1:49 pm

UnexplodedCow wrote::lol:
"Nothing rhymes with orange."

Here's a list of possible rhyming words, though none of them seem particularly useful:

https://www.rhymezone.com/r/rhyme.cgi?& ... ord=banana

Clockwork may not rhyme with it, but it certainly goes well with it ;)

UnexplodedCow
Gold Carvinite
Gold Carvinite

Postby UnexplodedCow » Thu Jul 14, 2022 5:13 pm

Totally forgot to post other songs from last summer. Sadly, I fell out with the guy, and am not working with him, but I'll link in some of the other stuff we did.

80s Dance Party (ah yes, synthwave). This was actually the first song he asked me to riff on, but came out a bit later for...reasons. Mostly it was my protest that he'd used the unedited take I did at 2-3 AM one night while dead-tired. I'd meant for it to be cut up, but it was left in whole, mistakes and all. The song is over 6 minutes, I think it was my 3rd take through it, goofing off while trying to stay awake in the chair. Also, it's basically one note the whole time, so things are quite repetitive. I still had fun, and parts of it are enjoyable.

https://www.bandlab.com/red_eye1982/80s ... 1ac5b31db1

Lifeisgone - the guy wanted to try an "only use black keys" song, and got something eastern-flavored, sorta. I think the synth choice really played a part. I added bass and guitars - kind of a harmony lead with a non-dissimilar sound to Garbage in a way. Trying to come up with a lick to fit in was a chore, but I did...something. It works OK.

https://www.bandlab.com/red_eye1982/lif ... 4a5e796c42

Infatuation - One that has so much background in it that it's not actually funny. Guy meets fangirl, falls in love. This is kinda the beginning of the end with the other guy - it was at least the catalyst. I couldn't think of a guitar lead to throw over it because the background was already "busy" enough, so there were slow-gear chords from guitar, and some bass thrown in for fun.

https://www.bandlab.com/red_eye1982/inf ... 2aac7a5303

Return to Share Your Kiesel Guitars Made Music