Kiesel Random Thoughts (not worth their own thread)

Off-Topic Discussions. Read the Sticky before posting.

Moderators: Kevio, ElfDude, JesseM, Mike Jones, Bundy, RockCrue, soundchick, ChrisH, peb

UnexplodedCow
Gold Carvinite
Gold Carvinite

Re: Kiesel Random Thoughts (not worth their own thread)

Postby UnexplodedCow » Fri Apr 24, 2020 5:52 pm

Omsong wrote:
wickid wrote:
Years ago I did some research about getting a specific metallic color done locally on a Bolt kit or something. I recall the amount was in the $400-500 range. I passed.

What is the old saying? "A fool and his money are soon parted."

I'm not personally calling anyone a fool for buying something that has value to themselves AND if they have the funds to spend without neglecting more important needs. For me, I had to think long and hard before I caved in to my 'lust' and ordered a flame maple top. In the long run it worked out because I was then able to qualify for the Black Friday free chambered option. At one time, I was considering a custom (auto) paint, but at $300, just couldn't justify it. I kept asking myself; "Why do you think it necessary to spend that much money for a functionally worthless upgrade? Better to either put that money into something that will actually make a better instrument, or save it for a rainy day."

Guess, if I was a performing musician raking in a lot of dough and wanted some stage flash, I might consider metal flake. But then look at the guitars that a lot of really good pros play - they obviously (from the beat up condition of their guitars) chose them for their tone and playability - not appearance. Apperances are so superficial. Besides, with social distancing, no one but your self may ever get to see your $600 metal flake job in the flesh. :ninja:

I did something similar with the chrome or gold headless hardware and sparkle paint run in late 2018.I paid for a flame maple top, but got a free 3 piece Walnut/Bloodwood neck, the chrome hardware, plus a chambered ash body. It's been an incredible instrument, and my first choice for recording. Normally I wouldn't have ordered it, but the options list saved me around $500 off normal price, and I'm pretty sure I have the only chrome hardware ZB5 on the planet.
We are entitled to our own, wrong, opinions.

Guitar theorem: G=X+1 where G= guitars one needs, and X = guitars one has.

Do or do not; there is no understand.

Sunset
Gold Member
Gold Member

Postby Sunset » Fri Apr 24, 2020 8:12 pm

spudmunkey wrote:
Sunset wrote:Señor Spudmonkey, thx for that multi trem breakdown over there. Seriously helped me understand why my biggest wishlist wish isn’t happening. Yet...

:) To be clear, I'm no engineer, nor a luthier. I'm *somewhat* handy, or at least can usually figure out how or why things are designed the way they are, and applied that to what i know about Kiesel. If it cuts the "multiscale trem" quesitons in his live videos by .0002%, It'll have been all worth while. :lol:

Ha! :lol:

I figure if they’ll consider something as esoteric as a scalloped board, maybe I might just have a chance if I keep my powder dry and wait patiently for the inevitable triumph of progress and all that is good and right. 8)

helldorado
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Postby helldorado » Thu Apr 30, 2020 12:31 pm

It seems like the jimmies are still rustled on the facebook page and sensitivity is still high. Apparently my "suggestion box" post was telling Jeff how to run his business. :laughhard:

spudmunkey
Elite Carvinite
Elite Carvinite

Postby spudmunkey » Tue May 26, 2020 2:44 pm

At first i was all, "Oh cool...Gary Sinise plays a Carvin Icon bass?"

Turns out it's a Cort. but I hope you all can forgive me as to why I thought it was a Carvin Icon at first glance (before having seen the headstock clearly). :lol:

Carvin IC4W:

dbone
Gold Carvinite
Gold Carvinite

Postby dbone » Tue May 26, 2020 4:05 pm

LTD Signature Sinise Icon... it could happen just sayin...
The icon is a nice lookin bass
dbones Lefties
SH550 M22SD M22N
DC150 M22T/M22V, DC150 M22SD/M22N
DC400A, K12B/K12N, DC600 M22SD/M22V, DC800 A80B/A80N
AE185 C22T/C22N/Piezo, AE185-12 H22T/H22N/Piezo
CT7M KL14B/KL14N, Bolt C22T/AP11/AP11, AC375, CL450, AC275K, SB5000 J99A pups

Doctor Doug
Gold Carvinite
Gold Carvinite
Links/Contact:

Postby Doctor Doug » Tue May 26, 2020 9:06 pm

My old bass player used a Cort. I t was a great bass!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=q3Qn3jdZ7As
facebook.com/hamfistrocks

Jack'O'Licious
Gold Member
Gold Member
Links/Contact:

Postby Jack'O'Licious » Wed May 27, 2020 4:57 am

I had no idea Lt. Dan played bass. Thats awesome!

Better yet, liquid terminator on bass... Thats metal.
Kiesel's:
2017 DCM8, 2020 Vader 7X (Used to have an Aries 7H with Piezo but regretfully sold it)

Other's:
Cheap Peavey Strat (1st axe ever), Ernie Ball JP13, 2018 Dingwall NG-3 5 string, 2017 Warwick RB Corvette 6 string

Casual Madman
Gold Carvinite
Gold Carvinite

Postby Casual Madman » Thu May 28, 2020 12:18 pm

helldorado wrote:Am I the only person who goes "holy sh*t?!?!" when I see somebody spends $600 for a custom paint finish? I mean, I love pretty guitars but part of me goes, "that's almost half of a new guitar!" :lol: Whatever makes people happy, I just love function.

I fell into this trap several years back. I had a fixed budget to spend. I wanted a CS model, but when I started looking at assorted Carvin (at the time) guitars, I fell madly in love with spalted maple - which was a $400 upgrade at the time. Could not fit the specs I wanted plus spalt into my budget on a CS, so I "settled" for an ST300.

It was a beautiful, superbly crafted guitar. And it was not what I wanted. After a couple-three years, I quit trying to force myself to love it, and swapped it out for a pair of Epiphone Les Pauls. (Still have one of those, it's a favorite and not likely to ever part with.)

But I still wish I'd gotten the CS I really wanted. Might never be able to justify spending that kind of scratch on a toy again (unless I sell off several of my current guitars - but I LIKE all of them, I don't want to give them up).

canon_mutant
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Postby canon_mutant » Thu May 28, 2020 7:06 pm

Yup, got that same problem needing to sell a few geetars and misc EQ I no longer use to justify getting one last custom. Had them ready to put on Reverb and . . . the plague hit! :wall:

spudmunkey
Elite Carvinite
Elite Carvinite

Postby spudmunkey » Mon Jun 22, 2020 1:10 pm

Thinking ahead (since this SH6 was, like, 5 years in the making, ha!), I've got 2 more slots to fill.

1) I do regret selling my AC375. I sold it thinking the in-coming SH6, with it's piezo and semi-hollow-ness would fill the same hole...but it just doesn't feel "acoustic" enough (it's neck, primarily). Ever since I've been aware of Carvin, i've wanted a burled walnut topped guitar. I know they don't always have it, but I think an AC375 would be a great vehicle for that sort of top. I would be getting rid of my crappy AliExpress acoustic. Then, i'd be down to my nice (Taylor) acoustic, the compact-and-better-for-pluggin-in AC375, nylon string Alvarez, and 12-string Alvarez. A Zeus acoutic would be fun, but it has an "electric" neck, so I'd find myself with the same issue as my SH6.

2) A "strat". I've got two strat knock-offs (A Samick, and a Fender-branded "Starcaster") that I would sell off. I think I would do this as a metallic, but it wouldlikely be a custom color. I used to have a 90s Jeep. I test drive, and bought it at night, thinking it was just black. it even had a "Maaco" tag hanging in the mirror, so it was just painted. it wasn't until I woke up the first morning after I bought the car, that I noticed that in the sun, it was this super cool deep, dark purple. Always loved that color. When i traded it in, the dealer asked me to name the color. i called it "Midnight Aubergine". They actually listed it in the newspaper classifieds as that color. Ha! Or, possibly a metal flake/sparkle in that color or a navy blue, but my Aqua SH6 is already pretty blue...maybe a green like Radiation Green? Anyway...it would have Mark's Singles in all 3 positions. not sure if I would do a Delos, HD, or GH3...but would like GH3 controls, no matter what. The reason I'm not automatically thinking "sparkle" is that I'd get this with a trem, and it would my first guitar in...probably 15 years by this point, with an actually-useabe trem (my two strat copies are hot garbage, and both blocked).

Then, I'd sell my Alvarexznylon string for a good deal on the right CL450, and would sell my Ibanez Talman bass if I found a rockin' deal on a JBM4 or 5...

Then there's the baritone I hope to start building by the end of summer out of the solid redwood doorway header I pulled out of my home when we widened a doorway.

Then, I think I'll be "done". I've sort of had this "end game" in my head for close to a decade.

Oh, besides a mandolin and maybe a banjo. :laughhard:

helldorado
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Postby helldorado » Mon Jun 22, 2020 7:50 pm

spudmunkey wrote:Thinking ahead (since this SH6 was, like, 5 years in the making, ha!), I've got 2 more slots to fill.

Dude, you need a pink one.

I told my wife today that once she's done school I want to have a guitar made in Pantone Patrick Star Pink. She immediately responded that it needs to be a Flying V shape. I said, would a star shape like my hot pink V220 work? Her response, yes. She loves Spongebob, got me to start watching it as an adult even... lol. And we love Patrick most, so she's down. Hello Kitty is played out.

So my endeavor is to get Kiesel to make baritone versions of the CT, CS and V220. I would love a 27" scale V220, in Patrick Star Pink. Then I could put his face printed out on high quality vinyl and stick it on the long, lower horn. :) :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: I guess I could always do an Ultra V, but I think the V220 works better. :lol:

Jack'O'Licious
Gold Member
Gold Member
Links/Contact:

Postby Jack'O'Licious » Wed Jun 24, 2020 5:39 am

spudmunkey wrote:Thinking ahead (since this SH6 was, like, 5 years in the making, ha!), I've got 2 more slots to fill.

1) I do regret selling my AC375. I sold it thinking the in-coming SH6, with it's piezo and semi-hollow-ness would fill the same hole...but it just doesn't feel "acoustic" enough (it's neck, primarily). Ever since I've been aware of Carvin, i've wanted a burled walnut topped guitar. I know they don't always have it, but I think an AC375 would be a great vehicle for that sort of top. I would be getting rid of my crappy AliExpress acoustic. Then, i'd be down to my nice (Taylor) acoustic, the compact-and-better-for-pluggin-in AC375, nylon string Alvarez, and 12-string Alvarez. A Zeus acoutic would be fun, but it has an "electric" neck, so I'd find myself with the same issue as my SH6.

2) A "strat". I've got two strat knock-offs (A Samick, and a Fender-branded "Starcaster") that I would sell off. I think I would do this as a metallic, but it wouldlikely be a custom color. I used to have a 90s Jeep. I test drive, and bought it at night, thinking it was just black. it even had a "Maaco" tag hanging in the mirror, so it was just painted. it wasn't until I woke up the first morning after I bought the car, that I noticed that in the sun, it was this super cool deep, dark purple. Always loved that color. When i traded it in, the dealer asked me to name the color. i called it "Midnight Aubergine". They actually listed it in the newspaper classifieds as that color. Ha! Or, possibly a metal flake/sparkle in that color or a navy blue, but my Aqua SH6 is already pretty blue...maybe a green like Radiation Green? Anyway...it would have Mark's Singles in all 3 positions. not sure if I would do a Delos, HD, or GH3...but would like GH3 controls, no matter what. The reason I'm not automatically thinking "sparkle" is that I'd get this with a trem, and it would my first guitar in...probably 15 years by this point, with an actually-useabe trem (my two strat copies are hot garbage, and both blocked).

Then, I'd sell my Alvarexznylon string for a good deal on the right CL450, and would sell my Ibanez Talman bass if I found a rockin' deal on a JBM4 or 5...

Then there's the baritone I hope to start building by the end of summer out of the solid redwood doorway header I pulled out of my home when we widened a doorway.

Then, I think I'll be "done". I've sort of had this "end game" in my head for close to a decade.

Oh, besides a mandolin and maybe a banjo. :laughhard:

When you say "starcaster" I automatically imagine the string action being a full inch from the fretboard, lol.
Kiesel's:
2017 DCM8, 2020 Vader 7X (Used to have an Aries 7H with Piezo but regretfully sold it)

Other's:
Cheap Peavey Strat (1st axe ever), Ernie Ball JP13, 2018 Dingwall NG-3 5 string, 2017 Warwick RB Corvette 6 string

ElfDude

Postby ElfDude » Wed Jun 24, 2020 6:23 am

I'm old. When I hear Starcaster I think of these.

Aries A6H, CS6M, SH445, Contour 66, AE185, DC135, CT4M, Bolt, Bolt T, SH225, LB76F, Nomad, VT16 Head, V410, Pro Bass 100
Midlife Crisis on Facebook
The Tri-Chevys on Facebook

spudmunkey
Elite Carvinite
Elite Carvinite

Postby spudmunkey » Wed Jun 24, 2020 6:45 am

ElfDude wrote:I'm old. When I hear Starcaster I think of these.

It also could have been:

Or this.

:laughhard:

helldorado
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Postby helldorado » Sun Jun 28, 2020 11:06 am

helldorado wrote:

Dude, you need a pink one.

*cough* just want to bring focus back to the fact that you need a pink guitar. :-)

spudmunkey
Elite Carvinite
Elite Carvinite

Postby spudmunkey » Sun Jun 28, 2020 5:37 pm

:lol: we have enough pink things around the house. My better half is big into kitchy pink flamingos. :lol:

helldorado
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Postby helldorado » Mon Jun 29, 2020 10:40 am

spudmunkey wrote::lol: we have enough pink things around the house. My better half is big into kitchy pink flamingos. :lol:

NOT AN EXCUSE! You need a matching guitar. :-D

I got my wife to sign off on my spongebob themed guitar after she graduates nursing school. :lol:

Return to The Backstage Lounge