Unpopular Opinion Game

Off-Topic Discussions. Read the Sticky before posting.

Moderators: Kevio, ElfDude, JesseM, RockCrue, soundchick, ChrisH, peb, Mike Jones, Bundy

User avatar
ElfDude
Moderator
Moderator
Posts: 11175
Joined: Jan 2007
Location: In and around the lake

Re: Unpopular Opinion Game

Postby ElfDude » Thu Sep 03, 2020 6:30 am

helldorado wrote:... don't take somebody's unpopular opinion too seriously :-)

Aries A6H, CS6M, SH445, Contour 66, AE185, DC135, CT4M, Bolt, Bolt T, SH225, LB76F, Nomad, VT16 Head, V410, Pro Bass 100
Midlife Crisis on Facebook
The Tri-Chevys on Facebook

helldorado
Platinum Member
Platinum Member
Posts: 403
Joined: Jan 2018

Re: Unpopular Opinion Game

Postby helldorado » Thu Sep 03, 2020 7:41 am

ElfDude wrote:
helldorado wrote:... don't take somebody's unpopular opinion too seriously :-)



Yeah spud! :P

helldorado
Platinum Member
Platinum Member
Posts: 403
Joined: Jan 2018

Re: Unpopular Opinion Game

Postby helldorado » Sun Sep 06, 2020 12:54 pm

helldorado wrote:PS, we can hug it out


c'mere spud :D

Image

User avatar
Nombrecomun
Gold Member
Gold Member
Posts: 161
Joined: Dec 2010
Location: SF Bay Area

Re: Unpopular Opinion Game

Postby Nombrecomun » Tue Sep 08, 2020 3:52 pm

helldorado wrote:Shredder and technically advanced guitar players are terrible and boring song writers, especially when releasing their own instrumentals.


I'm onboard with that.

HarlowTheFish
Carvinite
Carvinite
Posts: 762
Joined: May 2018
Location: Hudson Valley

Re: Unpopular Opinion Game

Postby HarlowTheFish » Sat Sep 12, 2020 6:38 pm

. . . is the rock police gone? :ninja:
Okay, okay, here goes: Led Zep ain't that great. :evil:

CRAP THEY'RE COMING EVERYBODY SPLIT :stir:

Sunset
Gold Member
Gold Member
Posts: 111
Joined: Apr 2019

Re: Unpopular Opinion Game

Postby Sunset » Sun Sep 13, 2020 6:44 am

^^^They were pretty good at ripping off American bluesmen. Bazinga...

On a side note: Evidently, telling a fat “gluten free vegan” she’s doing it wrong is also wildly unpopular. I really need to work on keeping that whole un-filtered inner monologue thing where it belongs. :roll:

Sunset
Gold Member
Gold Member
Posts: 111
Joined: Apr 2019

Re: Unpopular Opinion Game

Postby Sunset » Sun Sep 13, 2020 1:13 pm

Here’s another one.

I’m not a sportsball kinda guy, but I have family who are so I watch nfl on sundays.

I think the canned cheers from non-existent fans in an empty stadium are pathetic

User avatar
ElfDude
Moderator
Moderator
Posts: 11175
Joined: Jan 2007
Location: In and around the lake

Re: Unpopular Opinion Game

Postby ElfDude » Mon Sep 14, 2020 6:33 am

Sunset wrote:Here’s another one.

I’m not a sportsball kinda guy, but I have family who are so I watch nfl on sundays.

I think the canned cheers from non-existent fans in an empty stadium are pathetic


Oh man, are they really doing that?

I have a concert DVD like that. The audience was happy to cheer loudly at the end of songs, but they remained pretty quiet and respectful during the performances. Whoever produced the DVD didn't find that to be good enough and added all these audience cheers where none actually took place. It feels weird to watch.
Aries A6H, CS6M, SH445, Contour 66, AE185, DC135, CT4M, Bolt, Bolt T, SH225, LB76F, Nomad, VT16 Head, V410, Pro Bass 100
Midlife Crisis on Facebook
The Tri-Chevys on Facebook

Sunset
Gold Member
Gold Member
Posts: 111
Joined: Apr 2019

Re: Unpopular Opinion Game

Postby Sunset » Mon Sep 14, 2020 7:36 am

^^^sounds like a Rush concert. :lol:

Re sportsball, yep. It was really weird, but I guess a lot of things are really weird at the moment.

helldorado
Platinum Member
Platinum Member
Posts: 403
Joined: Jan 2018

Re: Unpopular Opinion Game

Postby helldorado » Mon Sep 14, 2020 8:23 am

ElfDude wrote:
Sunset wrote:Here’s another one.

I’m not a sportsball kinda guy, but I have family who are so I watch nfl on sundays.

I think the canned cheers from non-existent fans in an empty stadium are pathetic


Oh man, are they really doing that?


To be fair, they did that even when they had fans in the seats, especially the domes. I think the dome sound guys are more experienced with controlling it. Watching a couple games, the Saints playing in the Superdome felt most like a normal game because 90% of the camera angles don't show empty seats and they had the crowd noise really in time with reacting to the activity on the field.

HarlowTheFish
Carvinite
Carvinite
Posts: 762
Joined: May 2018
Location: Hudson Valley

Re: Unpopular Opinion Game

Postby HarlowTheFish » Mon Sep 14, 2020 12:35 pm

helldorado wrote:
ElfDude wrote:
Sunset wrote:Here’s another one.

I’m not a sportsball kinda guy, but I have family who are so I watch nfl on sundays.

I think the canned cheers from non-existent fans in an empty stadium are pathetic


Oh man, are they really doing that?


To be fair, they did that even when they had fans in the seats, especially the domes. I think the dome sound guys are more experienced with controlling it. Watching a couple games, the Saints playing in the Superdome felt most like a normal game because 90% of the camera angles don't show empty seats and they had the crowd noise really in time with reacting to the activity on the field.

I think part of it is just psychological -- competitive sports in general aren't all that engaging to just watch, but having a big crowd cheering and teams is a social activity that people really like. If there's no live audience and nobody to cheer, then it's kinda lame for the fans watching at home (also why stuff like the Madden games include canned cheers -- the same ones the NFL is using for the current games actually). It's corny and kinda sad, but honestly better than just silence.

Sunset
Gold Member
Gold Member
Posts: 111
Joined: Apr 2019

Re: Unpopular Opinion Game

Postby Sunset » Mon Sep 14, 2020 1:35 pm

HarlowTheFish wrote:
helldorado wrote:
ElfDude wrote:
Sunset wrote:Here’s another one.

I’m not a sportsball kinda guy, but I have family who are so I watch nfl on sundays.

I think the canned cheers from non-existent fans in an empty stadium are pathetic


Oh man, are they really doing that?


To be fair, they did that even when they had fans in the seats, especially the domes. I think the dome sound guys are more experienced with controlling it. Watching a couple games, the Saints playing in the Superdome felt most like a normal game because 90% of the camera angles don't show empty seats and they had the crowd noise really in time with reacting to the activity on the field.

I think part of it is just psychological -- competitive sports in general aren't all that engaging to just watch, but having a big crowd cheering and teams is a social activity that people really like. If there's no live audience and nobody to cheer, then it's kinda lame for the fans watching at home (also why stuff like the Madden games include canned cheers -- the same ones the NFL is using for the current games actually). It's corny and kinda sad, but honestly better than just silence.


I’m dating myself, but a few decades back the networks(back when there were 3 and no such thing as remote control) experimented with airing football games with no sound but the game itself. Not even the commentators. It was a complete flop and they never did it again.

I think what jarred me was the juxtaposition of the raucous cheering and the ghost stands.

User avatar
ElfDude
Moderator
Moderator
Posts: 11175
Joined: Jan 2007
Location: In and around the lake

Re: Unpopular Opinion Game

Postby ElfDude » Mon Sep 14, 2020 5:04 pm

Sunset wrote:^^^sounds like a Rush concert. :lol:


I have evidence to the contrary! :lol:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1eSlvoO3Vw8
Aries A6H, CS6M, SH445, Contour 66, AE185, DC135, CT4M, Bolt, Bolt T, SH225, LB76F, Nomad, VT16 Head, V410, Pro Bass 100
Midlife Crisis on Facebook
The Tri-Chevys on Facebook

Sunset
Gold Member
Gold Member
Posts: 111
Joined: Apr 2019

Re: Unpopular Opinion Game

Postby Sunset » Mon Sep 14, 2020 5:23 pm

Love Rio...

Huuuge Rush fan here. Not the rabid type, but the boys and their music are indelibly woven into my life at many levels. I’m having an uncharacteristically hard time with the loss and can’t listen to any of it yet. I don’t understand it, but there it is. Maybe time will do what time does best.

I hope... :(

User avatar
spudmunkey
Elite Carvinite
Elite Carvinite
Posts: 18188
Joined: Jan 2008
Location: San Francisco Bay Area

Re: Unpopular Opinion Game

Postby spudmunkey » Mon Sep 14, 2020 5:43 pm

Sports stadiums are selling "Put your photo in the stands!" cardboard cutouts to make the stands look more populated. I'm not sure if piped-in audio would make it feel more or less weird. Especially here in the Bladerunner 2049-esque San Francisco area lately. :lol:

Image

Sunset
Gold Member
Gold Member
Posts: 111
Joined: Apr 2019

Re: Unpopular Opinion Game

Postby Sunset » Tue Sep 15, 2020 7:18 am

^^^The Roli seaboard rise I just purchased has a Bladerunner Horns preset that is dead nutz accurate to the original movie. The other day I just sat there looking out at the red atmosphere and aping the original score until I creeped myself out. :lol:


/threadjack

helldorado
Platinum Member
Platinum Member
Posts: 403
Joined: Jan 2018

Re: Unpopular Opinion Game

Postby helldorado » Tue Sep 15, 2020 3:13 pm

Sunset wrote:^^^The Roli seaboard rise I just purchased has a Bladerunner Horns preset that is dead nutz accurate to the original movie. The other day I just sat there looking out at the red atmosphere and aping the original score until I creeped myself out. :lol:


/threadjack


That almost makes me want to buy one now, lol.

Sunset
Gold Member
Gold Member
Posts: 111
Joined: Apr 2019

Re: Unpopular Opinion Game

Postby Sunset » Wed Sep 16, 2020 10:40 am

It’s a ton of fun. Great for intros/outros, weaving interesting sounds unobtrusively throughout a piece thus adding texture, or it just allows me to keep playing music at the end of the day once my hands start aching from too much guitar.

It was one of those”this could be a big mistake” purchases that wound up being a home run.


Return to The Backstage Lounge

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 2 guests