Kiesel Random Thoughts (not worth their own thread)

Off-Topic Discussions. Read the Sticky before posting.

Moderators: Kevio, ElfDude, JesseM, ChrisH, peb, Mike Jones, Bundy, RockCrue, soundchick

ElfDude

Re: Kiesel Random Thoughts (not worth their own thread)

Postby ElfDude » Wed Nov 18, 2020 8:18 am

It took me years to warm up to Strat-style guitars. I thought they were cheap, what with that bolt-on neck and plastic top with screws everywhere and what not. Eventually I discovered the magic.
But I never liked Telecasters.
Until recently.
For some reason I now have GAS for a T-style guitar.
Must be watching all those videos of oldies and vintage rockabilly and stuff, trying to find new songs for my trio to learn.

But, as usual, I'd rather have a Carvin or Kiesel. Everyday I check the local listings, Reverb, eBay, etc. for a used TL60, TLB60, or Solo with a trem and a single coil at the neck. S-S or S-S-S would be preferred but I could probably deal with H-S or H-S-S.

I should hold off until next year though. 8)
Aries A6H, CS6M, SH445, Contour 66, AE185, DC135, CT4M, Bolt, Bolt T, SH225, LB76F, Nomad, VT16 Head, V410, Pro Bass 100
Midlife Crisis on Facebook
The Tri-Chevys on Facebook

UnexplodedCow
Gold Carvinite
Gold Carvinite

Postby UnexplodedCow » Wed Nov 18, 2020 9:40 am

Wow, I really like that PRS, and I'd never thought I'd say that. They've never particularly appealed to me (though they play well), but I like that specific one shown.
We are entitled to our own, wrong, opinions.

Guitar theorem: G=X+1 where G= guitars one needs, and X = guitars one has.

Do or do not; there is no understand.

Sunset
Gold Member
Gold Member

Postby Sunset » Wed Nov 18, 2020 1:57 pm

ElfDude wrote:It took me years to warm up to Strat-style guitars. I thought they were cheap, what with that bolt-on neck and plastic top with screws everywhere and what not. Eventually I discovered the magic.
Until recently.
Must be watching all those videos of oldies and vintage rockabilly and stuff, trying to find new songs for my trio to learn.

But, as usual, I'd rather have a Carvin or Kiesel. Everyday I check the local listings, Reverb, eBay, etc. for a used TL60, TLB60, or Solo with a trem and a single coil at the neck. S-S or S-S-S would be preferred but I could probably deal with H-S or H-S-S.

I should hold off until next year though. 8)

May I humbly suggest throwing the JH6 in the mix? I like my tele a lot, but day in and day out this guy always seems to find his way out of the case and within easy reach. Feels like home. $900 GC score too, so deals are out there.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post. Please REGISTER or LOG IN.

Omsong
Gold Carvinite
Gold Carvinite

Postby Omsong » Wed Nov 18, 2020 4:05 pm

I took a serious look at the S2 Vela when it first came out. There are a couple of YouTube review videos of it around, and it's tone sound marvelous- fat but with single coil clarity. Plus their metallic mist colors are gorgeous. It's definitely still on my wish list.
Ichi on Jobutsu (Enlightenment in one tone.)

Kiesel
- '20 Osiris 6, Deep Tiger's Eye Flame
Past tense
- '02 Fatboy; '04 CT6M; '07 Fatboy; '11 Bolt+; '17 Fatboy;

helldorado
Carvinite
Carvinite

Postby helldorado » Wed Nov 18, 2020 7:18 pm

I had been wondering how the roasted wood necks were going to hold up as it does make the wood more brittle. It looks like the first owner posted up on the FB group that they snapped the headstock off their roasted neck Delos with a 1 foot fall.

spudmunkey
Elite Carvinite
Elite Carvinite

Postby spudmunkey » Wed Nov 18, 2020 8:34 pm

Stranger things have happened, but I can't help but feel like there's got to me more to it...right?

HarlowTheFish
Carvinite
Carvinite

Postby HarlowTheFish » Thu Nov 19, 2020 5:46 am

spudmunkey wrote:Stranger things have happened, but I can't help but feel like there's got to me more to it...right?

Yeah I've seen Gibsons dropped higher than that with no real damage; I find it hard to believe that a quartersawn neck (assuming it is one because those are standard now?) with a volute would snap with a 1' drop. Heck, I've dropped my Ibby Prestige which is 17mm at the locking nut (including screws and truss rod adjustment) backwards like 3ft with the headstock hitting my desk and it did more damage to the desk than to the guitar.

helldorado
Carvinite
Carvinite

Postby helldorado » Thu Nov 19, 2020 9:24 am

HarlowTheFish wrote:
spudmunkey wrote:Stranger things have happened, but I can't help but feel like there's got to me more to it...right?

Yeah I've seen Gibsons dropped higher than that with no real damage; I find it hard to believe that a quartersawn neck (assuming it is one because those are standard now?) with a volute would snap with a 1' drop. Heck, I've dropped my Ibby Prestige which is 17mm at the locking nut (including screws and truss rod adjustment) backwards like 3ft with the headstock hitting my desk and it did more damage to the desk than to the guitar.

We haven't seen photos of the damage yet to my knowledge, but I wouldn't rule out that a dark roasted neck could be brittle enough to snap with falls that a standard maple neck would readily survive. Sometimes it's also just the bad luck of angles and surfaces.

Casual Madman
Gold Carvinite
Gold Carvinite

Postby Casual Madman » Thu Nov 19, 2020 9:49 am

ElfDude wrote:It took me years to warm up to Strat-style guitars. I thought they were cheap, what with that bolt-on neck and plastic top with screws everywhere and what not. Eventually I discovered the magic.
Until recently.

I hear where you're coming from. I've had 2 Strats - including a delicious black "Aerodyne Strat," with direct-mount Texas Specials, slightly carved top, cream binding on black gloss. It absolutely nailed the SRV-type tonality, played great - and I just couldn't love it. Traded it for an Ibanez Destroyer.

On the other hand, I never cared for Teles but when this one came up I traded my Hamer Vector for it without a second thought - and I freaking love this girl. Besides the great looks and great playability, it also sounds sweet and nasty, with chime or bite depending on volume.

helldorado
Carvinite
Carvinite

Postby helldorado » Thu Nov 19, 2020 10:34 am

You know how once you see something, you can't unsee it? There's a smudge on this sole HM7 photo on the website, *only* on that photo, that I can't stop looking at now, lol. :lol: I had to keep checking if it was on my laptop screen at first.

https://www.kieselguitars.com/catalog/guitars/hm7
2020-11-19_12-31-01.png
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post. Please REGISTER or LOG IN.

Return to The Backstage Lounge