Survivor!

Off-Topic Discussions. Read the Sticky before posting.

Moderators: Kevio, ElfDude, JesseM, ChrisH, peb, Mike Jones, Bundy, RockCrue, soundchick

Casual Madman
Gold Carvinite
Gold Carvinite

Survivor!

Postby Casual Madman » Thu Apr 01, 2021 9:07 pm

This post is not about those guys that played "Eye of the Tiger." It's about my personal battle with the novel coronavirus.

I took sick (as we say in Texas) on January 5 this year, running a high (+4 degrees F) fever and feeling generally miserable. Tested positive for COVID-19. Over the next several days, I felt better, but not well - mainly running a pesky low-grade fever, coughing some (dry).

On Jan 15, my O2 saturation dropped to 85% (normal should be in the high 90s). My Dr said get to the emergency room, so I did. Diagnosed with COVID-19 pneumonia. Was admitted and placed on high-volume forced oxygen, which was a nightmare - like an infinite freight train in your head. I finally pulled it off and told the hospital staff I couldn't stand it. My O2 dropped to 74%.

After discussion with my wife - who was in the same room with me, also suffering from the Virus but not as badly as me - we agreed I should go on a ventilator. We said goodbye, knowing full well it might be our final one. The doctors were not just not optimistic, they actually said there was a good chance I wouldn't survive.

Fortunately, I'm a tough old buzzard. 11 days later, they took me off the ventilator, Virus beaten. Due to the heavy-duty drugs used to induce coma and paralysis for ventilation, I had no short-term memory (we won't discuss the strange, sometimes horrifying hallucinations I had while under the anesthesia). Every day was a bleak surprise. I couldn't even recall that my wife had visited me, or called me (visits were limited to one day a week due to the pandemic). I felt alone and abandoned and helpless.

It was 4 days before my memory adjusted. There are still gaps I'll never get back.

While I was intubated, my muscles began to atrophy. Once revived, I couldn't lift a finger, much less feed myself. I couldn't sit up. At first, I could barely speak. I was hospitalized a total of 44 days. Rehab was like repeating the first 12 months of life - in about 12 weeks. I just received my discharge from physical therapy today. I'm still not 100%, but I'm so much better than I was a couple of months ago. I'll be going back to work, part-time, next Monday - three months to the day since I fell ill.

This is not a ploy for sympathy - my family has gone above and beyond in my aftercare, my employer has been incredibly supportive, and fortunately carries excellent health insurance. What I am doing is telling this to you in hopes that you'll all continue to follow the guidance of the CDC and your health professionals, rather than politicians or the loudest voices on YouTube, until this pandemic is officially declared to be over.

Be well.

Doctor Doug
Gold Carvinite
Gold Carvinite
Links/Contact:

Re: Survivor!

Postby Doctor Doug » Thu Apr 01, 2021 11:31 pm

Wow! Glad you're on the mend!
facebook.com/hamfistrocks

wickid
Platinum Carvinite
Platinum Carvinite
Links/Contact:

Postby wickid » Fri Apr 02, 2021 7:02 am

Glad to have you back with us!!! 8) :rockon:
Proud Carvin owner since 1985! My Carvin gear time capsule...

Dont miss the purple CT6!
(Any photobucket links are probably now broken. Grrrrrr!!!)

ElfDude

Postby ElfDude » Fri Apr 02, 2021 3:17 pm

My goodness! So sorry you went through all that! Glad you're most of the way back now.

My wife and I both got it. I guess I was lucky for a man my age. I got really sick for a while, then got better. Still not quite sure if 100% of my strength has returned. I may have just gotten out of shape. My wife didn't get nearly as sick as I did, but then she never got better. :( She's what many are referring to as a COVID long-hauler. The virus is gone but she has been left disabled. No energy. Aches. A brain fog that makes it hard for her to find words when she wants to talk. It makes me sad.
Aries A6H, CS6M, SH445, Contour 66, AE185, DC135, CT4M, Bolt, Bolt T, SH225, LB76F, Nomad, VT16 Head, V410, Pro Bass 100
Midlife Crisis on Facebook
The Tri-Chevys on Facebook

helldorado
Carvinite
Carvinite

Postby helldorado » Fri Apr 02, 2021 3:31 pm

I'm glad that you pulled through! My dad went through a similar scenario as you did last year and it was really hard to be completely powerless to do anything to help, and just hoping that the meds and forced air were going to keep him from totally failing. He's had that similar long road of recovery, but he keeps improving and you will too!

kmd09
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Postby kmd09 » Sun Apr 04, 2021 1:26 am

What a horror story. Glad you were able to share with us just how devastating this virus can be. It saddens me that I see so many that are ignoring just the basic medical professionals advice and aren't wearing masks, not social distancing and still seem to feel the need to socialize in large groups. Even though vaccinations are increasing this doesn't mean we out of the woods yet. This is still not the time to "let one's guard down" and still use common sense. I had my 1st Moderna COVID vaccine recently and will have the 2nd on 4/19. I'm still wearing my mask, social distancing when I can and will definitely not attend large group gatherings. These are minor inconveniences to pay to protect not only myself but others. I only wish others would extend the courtesy.
AC375 V49K CT624 CS624 SH575 CM130
GIBSON LES PAUL TRAD. FENDER TELE FENDER STRAT
MARTIN D35 TACOMA DM-18
V3 1/2 STACK X100B AG100D BX700 BXR10.2 BXR15.3
MARSHALL JVM 100H SPLAWN QUICKROD ORANGE ROCKERVERB MKII MESA TRIPLE REC DR. Z CARMEN GHIA FRIEDMAN PT-20 KEMPER PROFILER AXE FX MKIII

spudmunkey
Elite Carvinite
Elite Carvinite

Postby spudmunkey » Sat Apr 10, 2021 4:01 pm

Holy crap!!! Excellent to read that you're pulled through, and hope any lasting effects continue to diminish.

I have family back home that makes fun of my girlfriend and I for having been (and continue to be) as careful as we've been, but the alternative is to possibly think I could have brought that upon someone else. 2nd shot is next friday, and really looking forward to the results of the studies about if a vaccine reduced your risk of spreading it to others, not just self-protection.

Thanks for sharing your experience, I'm sorry you had to go through it, and hope you continue to improve!

Return to The Backstage Lounge