Kiesel Random Thoughts (not worth their own thread)

Off-Topic Discussions. Read the Sticky before posting.

Moderators: Kevio, ElfDude, JesseM, ChrisH, Bundy, RockCrue, soundchick, peb

CanserDYI
Gold Member
Gold Member

Re: Kiesel Random Thoughts (not worth their own thread)

Postby CanserDYI » Tue Jul 13, 2021 2:41 pm

helldorado wrote:
CanserDYI wrote:N-no thanks. ^^^

Anyone else not a fan of evertune anyways? I have one, and while it does what it says it does, its at the expense of some expressiveness and responsiveness. I have mine in full bend mode, and the sustain is just blegh. Notes die off soooo quickly, and I know how to cut a nut I've done them for years. I have mine set up very very low action and not a buzz on the entire board, so plays wonderfully, and stays in tune for literal weeks. But man, you really have to fight the string to give vibrato (YES I HAVE IT ON FULL BEND, AGAIN). Every one I've tried since I got mine has felt similar. Also, I can definitely hear buzzing from inside the bridge when it's on certain tensions. I'm just really not a convert, its nice to have in my arsenal to thicken up another guitar's sound, but by itself its really dead sounding.

I'm a fan of them in terms that it does what it's supposed to do, but I agree that it's not for everybody and definitely not for people who want every subtle little bend and dynamic to be well articulated.

The sustain loss is expected given the design. Even though it's a "fixed" bridge it might as well be viewed as a full free floating system. There's almost no direct contact between the strings and the body. I know some people complain about the "plinkiness", which on my Aries I hear unplugged, but not as much coming through the output jack, but it also has Fishman Fluence Moderns

I think they work great for recording but it's hit or miss depending on your playing style. Better with high output pickups that can overcome the loss in sustain or other subtle harmonic differences. They're heavy, a pain in the ass to adjust, and I don't know of a luthier or tech who enjoys working on them. I wouldn't pay to have any of my guitars retrofitted, but I would buy another guitar with it factory installed. But I also appreciate my hipshot hard tail for the lightness, sustain and relative comfort and simplicity it provides.

Oh it works crazy crazy good. That's what I hate is that it works so well and sits so nice on my hand I want to love it so bad. And granted, I hate the pickups to death, and this could be causing some of the issues.

helldorado
Gold Carvinite
Gold Carvinite

Postby helldorado » Tue Jul 13, 2021 6:30 pm

Sunset wrote::lol:

And don’t get me started on “Hey guys, I have zero aesthetic sensibility and just threw the most expensive mis-matched woods/finishes I could at this build and I’m just not vibing with it. I’m therefore trying to off load it to you at $100 less than I paid.”

Meh, I’ve been dealing with auto insurance as pertains to California Vehicle Code all day and it’s left me salty af.

Apologies. I’ll just go ahead and see myself out.

Hey, I love the guys who demand special treatment because they buy 5+ guitars in a year, even though they try to sell almost all of them within months of receiving them. :lol:

spudmunkey
Elite Carvinite
Elite Carvinite

Postby spudmunkey » Tue Jul 13, 2021 6:32 pm

Yeah, but it should sell for MORE than new, because you save on the wait time. Oh, and you save on the agony of option selection paralysis. :lol:

spudmunkey
Elite Carvinite
Elite Carvinite

Postby spudmunkey » Wed Jul 14, 2021 11:50 am

DC127 is officially no longer available. Normally there's a short (or long) window after something is discontinued where it's still available for a 100%-pre-pay. no-10-day-trial order, but that's no longer the case for the DC127.

Oh, one more thing....

I'm (temporarily, anyway) working for Kiesel. :)

I'm just there to help respond to a randomly-assigned incoming emails, so that Chris, Keith, and Flock can better stay kept-up on phone calls, the emails they have to respond to, and I'm assuming to give them time to perhaps train another salesperson. Or not. We'll see. :lol:

I'm likely going to have to bow-out when I start school next month (I'm 42, and it'll be my first day of post-high-school education, so I need to focus 100% on that).

That said, to be perfectly clear, I have zero inside information, and have zero access to any systems or special information. My only "tool" is an email address. For anything I don't know, I don't have a way to look it up. I still have to ask "the guys", using the same methods all y'all do. :mrgreen:

I'm trying not to make a big deal out of it, specifically since it's just temporary, and don't want people to get in the habit of thinking I'm still working for them longer down the road when I'm actually not...just don't want people to get in that mindset. Ha! But, still thought it was worth mentioning. I'll be honest and answer if someone on FB asks, but I'm not planning to bring it up there...

Sunset
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Postby Sunset » Wed Jul 14, 2021 1:18 pm

Congratz!

Imho you’ve been a fine ambassador for the company during my relatively short time with the brand. Now, sit back and watch how many “friends” come out of the woodwork. :lol:

helldorado
Gold Carvinite
Gold Carvinite

Postby helldorado » Wed Jul 14, 2021 2:58 pm

spudmunkey wrote:DC127 is officially no longer available. Normally there's a short (or long) window after something is discontinued where it's still available for a 100%-pre-pay. no-10-day-trial order, but that's no longer the case for the DC127.

That FB post a couple weeks ago where they asked if they should bring back the DC127 really seems like a massive d*ck move now. :lol:

spudmunkey wrote:I'm (temporarily, anyway) working for Kiesel. :)

It's ironic because you got name dropped today as somebody who would be an acceptable non-Kiesel employee moderator on the FB group when somebody started a short-lived complaint post about non-Kiesel people being made mods. :lol:

Because it's a day that ends in "day," there was some drama I caught before it got deleted. It sounds like Mike's departure wasn't entirely amicable, which is unfortunate to hear.

spudmunkey wrote:I'm likely going to have to bow-out when I start school next month (I'm 42, and it'll be my first day of post-high-school education, so I need to focus 100% on that).

So.... what'cha going for? Then we can all be like.

Sunset wrote:Now, sit back and watch how many “friends” come out of the woodwork. :lol:

FB peeps going to be like.

spudmunkey
Elite Carvinite
Elite Carvinite

Postby spudmunkey » Wed Jul 14, 2021 5:51 pm

helldorado wrote:It's ironic because you got name dropped today as somebody who would be an acceptable non-Kiesel employee moderator on the FB group when somebody started a short-lived complaint post about non-Kiesel people being made mods. :lol:

Ha, is that what that was? I saw a "mention" in my notifications, but by the time I checked it, the post was gone. :lol:

ElfDude

Postby ElfDude » Thu Jul 15, 2021 6:31 am

spudmunkey wrote:
helldorado wrote:It's ironic because you got name dropped today as somebody who would be an acceptable non-Kiesel employee moderator on the FB group when somebody started a short-lived complaint post about non-Kiesel people being made mods. :lol:

Ha, is that what that was? I saw a "mention" in my notifications, but by the time I checked it, the post was gone. :lol:

Someone was complaining that they appeared to have non-employees as admins on the fb page.
*shrugs*
Aries A6H, CS6M, SH445, Contour 66, AE185, DC135, CT4M, Bolt, Bolt T, SH225, LB76F, Nomad, VT16 Head, V410, Pro Bass 100
Midlife Crisis on Facebook
The Tri-Chevys on Facebook

helldorado
Gold Carvinite
Gold Carvinite

Postby helldorado » Thu Jul 15, 2021 10:02 am

ElfDude wrote:
spudmunkey wrote:

Someone was complaining that they appeared to have non-employees as admins on the fb page.
*shrugs*

Right, I mean that's completely unheard of! Can you imagine if they did it on the BBS too?!?!?! :lol:

canon_mutant
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Postby canon_mutant » Thu Jul 15, 2021 7:23 pm

I'd say right off hand that Kiesel owes Spud some back pay . . . :think:

Just sayin!

I assumed you already were on the payroll, Spud.

But, better late than never . . . :applause:

helldorado
Gold Carvinite
Gold Carvinite

Postby helldorado » Mon Jul 19, 2021 1:44 pm

Anybody want to start betting if they'll stop taking orders at some point this year? I know Jeff hinted at the idea last year when orders picked up in the second half of the year. But it seems that since it's been a sustained demand since then, it might make it more of a reality this year.

If it stays busy enough, I could see a Black Friday sale being the "last hurrah" for orders this year, then that's it until 2022. Other shops do this quite frequently, we're just not used to Kiesel doing it.

Sunset
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Postby Sunset » Mon Jul 19, 2021 2:26 pm

I’m just some rando internet Kiesel player, but I’d sure rather that than see quality slip.

spudmunkey
Elite Carvinite
Elite Carvinite

Postby spudmunkey » Tue Jul 27, 2021 11:27 am

For posterity, the three sizes of wrenches that one would need for a Vader are:

4mm
3/32nds
.050”

I *believe* these are, in order (but correct me if I'm wrong):
Locking nut
Truss Rod
Bridge saddle

CanserDYI
Gold Member
Gold Member

Postby CanserDYI » Tue Jul 27, 2021 1:24 pm

Anyone else get bugged to sh*t theyre not all in Metric or all in imperial? Seems odd.

spudmunkey
Elite Carvinite
Elite Carvinite

Postby spudmunkey » Tue Jul 27, 2021 2:07 pm

CanserDYI wrote:Anyone else get bugged to sh*t theyre not all in Metric or all in imperial? Seems odd.

I assume that it's either a case of their hardware supplier not offering a specific size in the material/finish they need (even McMaster Carr isn't infallible. I'm often not able to find the size I need in the right finish), and/or going up or down to the next size might not be "the best" solution. Could a smaller screw be adequate? Probably...but the next size up might be 4mm and that would be better, but the next imperial size might be taking away too much material around the hole for comfort.

But, yeah... I'm a bit of a fastener nerd. Sometimes I feel nearly as bad as Sandy Monroewhen it comes to fastener simplification. :lol:

[borderlinenonsequitur]
One of my last projects at my last job was re-designing a large company's global custom desking design standard. Just by standardizing every screw I could, I was able to reduce the SKU count by 70%. OK, so some of the screws cost us .03 cents more. Not $0.03, but .03 cents...or $0.0003. So it was worth it to not have to keep in stock emergency supplies and drivers for 6 different screws when they could all be one. All in all, by being creative with how the desking system was designed, I was able to cut costs, and save over 200 parts on a 6-desk back, while saving nearly an hour of assembly labor time average per desk. We even got the height-adjustble desk base company to change over to magnetic screws, and that one change alone saved us nearly a half hour per 6-pack of desks. [/CoolStoryBro]

CanserDYI
Gold Member
Gold Member

Postby CanserDYI » Tue Jul 27, 2021 3:39 pm

NGL Spud its that kind of stuff that has me browsing these forums still lol keep it up.

Return to The Backstage Lounge