Kiesel Random Thoughts (not worth their own thread)

Off-Topic Discussions. Read the Sticky before posting.

Moderators: Kevio, ElfDude, JesseM, soundchick, peb, ChrisH, Bundy, RockCrue

helldorado
Gold Carvinite
Gold Carvinite

Re: Kiesel Random Thoughts (not worth their own thread)

Postby helldorado » Sun Oct 10, 2021 2:30 pm

I guess, or at least hope, that in the short run, since every order needs to be reviewed by the sales team and they're confirming with the customer, they get commission for those sales. It will be a lot of work on the sales team's part because they need to confirm that the builder is working correctly and submitting a valid build, and getting the customer to sign off on the final spec list.

But, I'm also assuming at some point the builder will hit a point where that's no longer necessary because it'll be out of beta phase and trusted for accuracy. So they'll go right to production with whatever was submitted from the website as they used to do. At least that's how I understood it to work with the old website. The website directly submitted into the back end production system and if the payment went through, the build started.

What would be nice, somebody mentioned it somewhere, is the option to use the builder to put together your rough mockup, and submit it directly to a sales guy so you can walk through completion of the build. That might simplify the process for everybody. And definitely to be able to reference a sales guy in your online order so they get the commission.

Until they start adding the "off-menu" options to the builder, those will always require a phone call. But the ultimate goal of the builder in the long run I would imagine is to process as many standard option builds and bypass the sales guys, putting them straight into production.

spudmunkey
Elite Carvinite
Elite Carvinite

Postby spudmunkey » Sun Oct 10, 2021 2:41 pm

Full disclosure: the reason that my stint as a temp email answerer after Mike Jones left was to bridge the gap between "no builder + down a sales person" and " have a builder that can answer a lot of questions to free up salespeople's time + down a sales person, which may not actually be an issue with the (in theory) reduced call/email volume." Time will tell what the actual full impact of the builder will be, and a test for the builder is how up-to-date it's kept with new options and models.

The builder was actually originally going to be 8/1, but then I stayed on 2 extra weeks. They knew at the last week of July it wasn't going to be 8/1 once the person working on it really got into the nitty gritty of the exceptions that have to be baked in. Like...OK, so if you have a black body, you can't have a black logo. But you CAN have a black logo if you switch to a headstock with the fretboard inlay. But then it the black logo is supposed to go away if you have a different body finish, but select the "black painted headstock" option (it currently doesn't). And if you switch to a headless model, well now the logo offerings change with the tung oil option, because there's only 1 logo that has a strong-enough adhesive to stick to the tung oiled body without getting sealed in by a clear finish, and they don't offer than on guitars with a headstock. Or how there is two looks for the Beryllium pickups, depending on if it has a pickguard or not., Etc etc. They initially thought it might only be 2 weeks, but I had to bow out by 8/15 because I was starting school, and needed to give that 100%.

helldorado
Gold Carvinite
Gold Carvinite

Postby helldorado » Sun Oct 10, 2021 3:19 pm

Honestly, I felt that Mike Jones leaving was one of the main reasons the builder ended up happening. Easier to put in a website than to hire and train a full-time sales person, and cheaper in the long run. So I don't necessarily expect them to replace Mike Jones if the builder does well.

spudmunkey
Elite Carvinite
Elite Carvinite

Postby spudmunkey » Sun Oct 10, 2021 7:43 pm

A builder has been in the works for a couple of years, with a couple attempts. Nit knowing anything about web design i can only guess,, but this proces of not only building the website, but designing all of the models,, reflections getting all of the woods and color textures etc...this iteration would have been started way before Mike left mid June. I talked to Jeff 2 days later, and the original launch date of the builder was only 6-7 weeks off.

helldorado
Gold Carvinite
Gold Carvinite

Postby helldorado » Mon Oct 11, 2021 11:12 am

spudmunkey wrote:A builder has been in the works for a couple of years, with a couple attempts. Nit knowing anything about web design i can only guess,, but this proces of not only building the website, but designing all of the models,, reflections getting all of the woods and color textures etc...this iteration would have been started way before Mike left mid June. I talked to Jeff 2 days later, and the original launch date of the builder was only 6-7 weeks off.

Oh you're right, it's been in the works for a while. Depending on the size of the team, or if it's a one person show, something like that is easily 3-6 months or longer, particularly with a sitewide overhaul. I'm just glad they didn't use the same builder that a couple other sites use. :lol:

I should've said Mike leaving cemented the need for it. But it might've been a further delayed release to work out a number of the bugs that it went live with if they weren't already short a guy.

Toptube
Gold Carvinite
Gold Carvinite

Postby Toptube » Tue Oct 12, 2021 9:40 am

I'm sure they wanted to get the builder up before Black Friday/Holiday buying season.

But....I honestly don't even want to click on the basses section of the website. it is absolutely unfinished and also has no builder. The whole of it really puts me off from spending any time on the site, at all.

Sunset
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Postby Sunset » Wed Oct 13, 2021 6:58 am

I haven’t touched the new builder and won’t until I’m ready to pull the trigger on the 6 to rule them all. I’d much rather spend any free time available digging hard to be a better guitar player. Probably an unpopular opinion, but there ya go.

Though I must say, as big of a pia as launching something of this magnitude must have been, based on the response from the Kiesel faithful, it would appear the owner has cracked this project outta the park. All the excitement and buzz must surely be generating new sales.

Toptube
Gold Carvinite
Gold Carvinite

Postby Toptube » Wed Oct 13, 2021 1:40 pm

Sunset wrote:I haven’t touched the new builder and won’t until I’m ready to pull the trigger on the 6 to rule them all. I’d much rather spend any free time available digging hard to be a better guitar player. Probably an unpopular opinion, but there ya go.

Though I must say, as big of a pia as launching something of this magnitude must have been, based on the response from the Kiesel faithful, it would appear the owner has cracked this project outta the park. All the excitement and buzz must surely be generating new sales.

Yeah none of that has anything to do with bass guitars :think:

I understand what you were trying to do with that post but, it basically completely sidesteps the point of mine. Sort of a strawman setup.

spudmunkey
Elite Carvinite
Elite Carvinite

Postby spudmunkey » Wed Oct 13, 2021 1:49 pm

Toptube wrote:
Sunset wrote:I haven’t touched the new builder and won’t until I’m ready to pull the trigger on the 6 to rule them all. I’d much rather spend any free time available digging hard to be a better guitar player. Probably an unpopular opinion, but there ya go.

I understand what you were trying to do with that post but, it basically completely sidesteps the point of mine. Sort of a strawman setup.

FWIW, it didn't sound like a rebuttal to yours. Just another post in the general conversation. This is the "random thoughts" thread, after all.; )

spudmunkey
Elite Carvinite
Elite Carvinite

Postby spudmunkey » Wed Oct 13, 2021 4:52 pm

Mahogany necks now are only available on 6-string guitars. No 7s, 8s, or basses. Long term stability concerns.

helldorado
Gold Carvinite
Gold Carvinite

Postby helldorado » Wed Oct 13, 2021 5:38 pm

spudmunkey wrote:Mahogany necks now are only available on 6-string guitars. No 7s, 8s, or basses. Long term stability concerns.

I'm probably in the minority, but I actually don't like mahogany as a wood for bodies or necks. I live with it on the guitars that come that way, but I would never willingly choose it. Long live alder! :lol:

Sunset
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Postby Sunset » Wed Oct 13, 2021 7:24 pm

Toptube wrote:

That’s why I didn’t quote you specifically. And “strawman” is a reference to argument. I’m not looking for one. :wink:

Toptube
Gold Carvinite
Gold Carvinite

Postby Toptube » Thu Oct 14, 2021 11:21 am

spudmunkey wrote:
Toptube wrote:

FWIW, it didn't sound like a rebuttal to yours. Just another post in the general conversation. This is the "random thoughts" thread, after all.; )

Sunset wrote:
Toptube wrote:

That’s why I didn’t quote you specifically. And “strawman” is a reference to argument. I’m not looking for one. :wink:

I feel like your post was a bit more than tangentially related to mine. However, the point of not being directly quoted by you is noted and I'm sorry for striking this chord : )

CanserDYI
Gold Member
Gold Member

Postby CanserDYI » Thu Oct 14, 2021 12:13 pm

Kieselguitarsbbs is probably the most polite forum I've ever been a part of lol

spudmunkey
Elite Carvinite
Elite Carvinite

Postby spudmunkey » Thu Oct 14, 2021 12:17 pm

CanserDYI wrote:Kieselguitarsbbs is probably the most polite forum I've ever been a part of lol

YOU TAKE THAT BACK!!! :evil: :naughty:

:laughhard:

helldorado
Gold Carvinite
Gold Carvinite

Postby helldorado » Thu Oct 14, 2021 12:23 pm

spudmunkey wrote:
CanserDYI wrote:Kieselguitarsbbs is probably the most polite forum I've ever been a part of lol

YOU TAKE THAT BACK!!! :evil: :naughty:

:laughhard:

https://youtu.be/64LvX1Uvn-Y

Sunset
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Postby Sunset » Thu Oct 14, 2021 7:07 pm

Toptube wrote:
spudmunkey wrote:
Toptube wrote:

Sunset wrote:
Toptube wrote:

I feel like your post was a bit more than tangentially related to mine. However, the point of not being directly quoted by you is noted and I'm sorry for striking this chord : )

Your apology is accepted. May I suggest de-calf?

spudmunkey
Elite Carvinite
Elite Carvinite

Postby spudmunkey » Thu Oct 14, 2021 7:51 pm

Sunset wrote:Your apology is accepted. May I suggest de-calf?

Sunset
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Postby Sunset » Thu Oct 14, 2021 8:54 pm

Perhaps we should steer this thread to greener pastures.

helldorado
Gold Carvinite
Gold Carvinite

Postby helldorado » Fri Oct 15, 2021 6:02 am

ok, enough of this pun bullshit. 8)

I hate the slippery slope of build pricing, lol.

Start with a simple green and black Delos with Mark's singles. But the $1800 price feels steep for such a simple, solid color build. Granted the pickups are $220 between the upcharge for 3 singles and Mark's singles on top of it. So let's look at a raw-tone solo with white/white over AAT, roasted birdseye maple board and finish the headstock so we hide the neck is regular roasted maple. Not bad at $2200, but what if we go with a roasted all flame neck? Oh, now we're at almost $2700... :lol:

2021-10-15_7-54-29.png
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post. Please REGISTER or LOG IN.

Return to The Backstage Lounge