Kiesel Random Thoughts (not worth their own thread)

Off-Topic Discussions. Read the Sticky before posting.

Moderators: Kevio, ElfDude, JesseM, soundchick, peb, ChrisH, Bundy, RockCrue

Jack'O'Licious
Platinum Member
Platinum Member
Links/Contact:

Re: Kiesel Random Thoughts (not worth their own thread)

Postby Jack'O'Licious » Wed Nov 24, 2021 5:27 am

spudmunkey wrote:
Jack'O'Licious wrote:Also, I was so excited when I saw the email for the Black Friday sale I have been waiting for literally all year and.... How underwhelming was that?

Yeah, it's definitely a small event than normal. Jef's hinted (and outright said, since Haloween) that there may not be a black Friday sale at all, that think of the ending $100 free options as a "sale". So expectations were already pretty low. :)

Someone on FB posted the sale basically saying, "Boy, did they make this sale just got me, or what?" since he was wanting every spec on sale: ash body, raw tone, thin neck, and chambering and ordered a guitar.

Where previous sales were about getting people to order who might not have otherwise, inspiring impulse buys, this years was definitely more about maybe pushing some people to pull the trigger who already basically had a build ready in the cart and were just waiting for a sale, and the ash body is one of their most popular options, so it's *some* sort of savings for a large group of people. :think:

I like how Chambered Body is free but you have to pay for a top wood in that situation so... technically you pay more than you would without getting a top wood. So if I am not in the market for a top wood, then there are only 3 free options lol. I have big hands so Thinner Neck Profile isnt that attractive to me to jump on and buy a guitar.
Kiesel's: 2017 DCM8, 2020 Vader 7X
Others: Peavey Raptor Plus (1st axe ever), Ernie Ball JP13, Ibanez RGEW521ZC
Basses: 2018 Dingwall NG-3 5 string, 2019 Dingwall NG-2 6 String

CanserDYI
Gold Member
Gold Member

Postby CanserDYI » Wed Nov 24, 2021 8:33 am

Jack'O'Licious wrote:
spudmunkey wrote:
Jack'O'Licious wrote:Also, I was so excited when I saw the email for the Black Friday sale I have been waiting for literally all year and.... How underwhelming was that?

Yeah, it's definitely a small event than normal. Jef's hinted (and outright said, since Haloween) that there may not be a black Friday sale at all, that think of the ending $100 free options as a "sale". So expectations were already pretty low. :)

Someone on FB posted the sale basically saying, "Boy, did they make this sale just got me, or what?" since he was wanting every spec on sale: ash body, raw tone, thin neck, and chambering and ordered a guitar.

Where previous sales were about getting people to order who might not have otherwise, inspiring impulse buys, this years was definitely more about maybe pushing some people to pull the trigger who already basically had a build ready in the cart and were just waiting for a sale, and the ash body is one of their most popular options, so it's *some* sort of savings for a large group of people. :think:

I like how Chambered Body is free but you have to pay for a top wood in that situation so... technically you pay more than you would without getting a top wood. So if I am not in the market for a top wood, then there are only 3 free options lol. I have big hands so Thinner Neck Profile isnt that attractive to me to jump on and buy a guitar.

Wait I thought chambered bodies required a top in general?

Jack'O'Licious
Platinum Member
Platinum Member
Links/Contact:

Postby Jack'O'Licious » Wed Nov 24, 2021 9:38 am

CanserDYI wrote:
Jack'O'Licious wrote:
spudmunkey wrote:

Wait I thought chambered bodies required a top in general?

Right. What I am saying is that free option is only a free option if you are spending the extra money to get a top wood. So if you aren't looking to get a top wood then chambering is not really a free option to you. Making the sale even less of a help.
Kiesel's: 2017 DCM8, 2020 Vader 7X
Others: Peavey Raptor Plus (1st axe ever), Ernie Ball JP13, Ibanez RGEW521ZC
Basses: 2018 Dingwall NG-3 5 string, 2019 Dingwall NG-2 6 String

spudmunkey
Elite Carvinite
Elite Carvinite

Postby spudmunkey » Wed Nov 24, 2021 10:18 am

Eh, for me, there has yet to be a big sale where I wanted the promo options except for the Delos run, and that one President's day sale. It's always been *just* the wrong combination of specs. :lol:

If you wanted a chambered ash guitar with a thin neck, one of their most popular configs, you're saving a few hundred bucks. Anything other than that, then nope.

helldorado
Gold Carvinite
Gold Carvinite

Postby helldorado » Fri Nov 26, 2021 12:05 pm

I was going to put my order in for my Solo because my initial build idea was white/white over AAT ash. So I was at least going to get the free ash body.

But after talking through ideas and Chris holding out a couple carrots on upgrades, I didn't even have anything from the sale on my final build sheet. :lol:

spudmunkey
Elite Carvinite
Elite Carvinite

Postby spudmunkey » Fri Nov 26, 2021 12:26 pm

helldorado wrote:I was going to put my order in for my Solo because my initial build idea was white/white over AAT ash. So I was at least going to get the free ash body.

But after talking through ideas and Chris holding out a couple carrots on upgrades, I didn't even have anything from the sale on my final build sheet. :lol:

:lol: That's happened to me...the final sale ended up being way different than what I went into it with.

spudmunkey
Elite Carvinite
Elite Carvinite

Postby spudmunkey » Sat Dec 04, 2021 12:41 am

I know some people were a little deflated that the Black Friday and Cyber Monday sales weren't as large as they've been previously, but I just went through some old emails and looked to see how they actually compared.

2016: an extra $50 off in options or $50 off kits, and then $50 off Aries in-stocks and $100 off Vader in-stocks. So at most, you'd save $100 if you got an in-stock Vader...and at the end of October 2016, there were only 4 Vaders in-stock. 1/2 of them were gunmetal, and one was white/white with purple burst edges. :lol:

2017: Free stainless frets of any size, free chambered body upgrade, an upgrade to 6A if you already for a 4A quilt top, and $200 off Royal Ebony tops

Not exactly mind-blowing promos...it's not until 2018 where you start to see exciting offerings (like certain three-piece necks are free, free antique ash finish, free chambered body, along with $100 off piezo saddles, $300 off sparkle finishes, and all in-stocks discounted).

Then 2019 was completely bananas: free roasted maple necks, free neck thicknesses, free radius options, free antique ash, free 3 piece maple necks, free tung oil neck, discounted buckeye and poplar tops, DBEB, metal flake finishes. Some might say 2020's deals were almost as good. There weren't any free 3 piece necks, but there was a fretboard wood upgrades, for exdample.

So looking at 2021's promos (which some people missed also included free candy finishes on master grade maple tops, and Cyber Monday offered Free Monster Burst and Reverse Monster Burst on the same tops), it's basically not as good as 60% of the previous 5 years, but better than 40% of them.

Anyway, I'm just taking a break from math homework, so I thought I'd...er...do some math, I guess. :think: :wall: :laughhard:

helldorado
Gold Carvinite
Gold Carvinite

Postby helldorado » Sat Dec 04, 2021 11:15 pm

My purchase this past week started as a build where I'd at least get the free swamp ash. I ended up with a build that technically didn't qualify for anything in sale. But it's why I say, appreciate your sales guys, take care of them, and build a relationship. They'll take care of you and I did better on my build in the end than I ever would've with just a sale. Granted, I really like the sales team and appreciate that they have a bit of a thankless job at times, so I would send them snacks regardless!

Return to The Backstage Lounge