Anybody like to cook?

Off-Topic Discussions. Read the Sticky before posting.

Moderators: Kevio, ElfDude, JesseM, soundchick, peb, ChrisH, Bundy, RockCrue

spudmunkey
Elite Carvinite
Elite Carvinite

Re: Anybody like to cook?

Postby spudmunkey » Sun Nov 28, 2021 3:14 pm

Sunset wrote:Chili looks like fun. Recipe?

https://dearcrissy.com/sweet-potato-chili-casserole/ For the record, this recipe came up in a google search for"'recipe sweet potato ground beef" when trying to come up with ideas to use up when we had on hand, and I know nothing about "Crissy" or any of her other recipes, so I can't vouch for anything else on her site.

The recipe didn't call for the chipotles in adobo or smoked paprika, but I added a tablespoon of each. I also didn't have any cilantro around. And lastly, the cheese I used was a "light Mexican blend" from Trader Joe's and it had sooo little flavor.

I think it's also important to let it cool for a while before serving, otherwise it was very very soupy when I served the first servings. When we each had seconds, it had thickened up a bit, and was less liquid-y.

The recipe says to use a 12" cast iron, but I just used a 12" stainless skillet, and it worked just fine.

I also used 1 cup of thawed frozen corn instead of the bell peppers that the recipe called for (just didn't have a pepper on hand).

Sunset
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Postby Sunset » Mon Nov 29, 2021 6:53 am

Thx!
I’ll post up when it makes it into the rotation.

Doctor Doug
Gold Carvinite
Gold Carvinite
Links/Contact:

Postby Doctor Doug » Thu Dec 02, 2021 11:38 am

Stuffed peppers and tomates!

facebook.com/hamfistrocks

spudmunkey
Elite Carvinite
Elite Carvinite

Postby spudmunkey » Thu Dec 02, 2021 1:12 pm

Doctor Doug wrote:Stuffed peppers and tomates!

Yum. I love stuffed foods like that, but I'm so impatient and end up usually skipping that step. :lol: Even with something like a baked pasta dish like a Baked Ziti, I'm all like, "Well, gee, I've already cooked the pasta and sauce...if I just serve it now, dinner's done. :lol: The only time I end up having things like stuffed peppers is when I pick up some pre-stuffed ones from Trader Joe's or something. :laughhard:

spudmunkey
Elite Carvinite
Elite Carvinite

Postby spudmunkey » Sat Dec 25, 2021 1:31 am

Wednesday night, I made a mincemeat pie. I've never ever tasted mincemeat pie before, and it seemed like it would appeal to me. The warm spices, the dried fruit...but I think the brandy and citrus peels just made it too bitter. My girlfriend had one forkfull, and that was "enough" for her, so I've been eating the whole thing myself. I've got one piece left, and I'm starting to acquire the taste for it...but only starting...and I likely won't ever make one again.

20211224_000942.jpg

Ever since having it for the first time in Hawaii 3 years ago, we've made Loco Moco our Christmas tradition. However. I didnt think the mushrooms would survive until Christmas, so I had to make it last night. Overcooked the eggs, but it was still tasty.

20211224_004626.jpg

Tonight, I made bruschetta to use up the last of some leftover pesto, grape tomatoes, and ciabatta rolls. Easily the best bruschetta I've ever had...which is a low bar, honestly...but still satisfying, and never made it before.

20211224_232056.jpg

20211224_232127.jpg
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post. Please REGISTER or LOG IN.

Doctor Doug
Gold Carvinite
Gold Carvinite
Links/Contact:

Postby Doctor Doug » Thu Jan 06, 2022 9:47 am

Did pulled pork a while back.
I've never been a big fan of it but LOVED this method. Will definitely make it again.

spudmunkey
Elite Carvinite
Elite Carvinite

Postby spudmunkey » Thu Jan 06, 2022 12:26 pm

darn, that looks so good.

And, darn, I need to get a dutch oven...

Doctor Doug
Gold Carvinite
Gold Carvinite
Links/Contact:

Postby Doctor Doug » Thu Jan 06, 2022 12:31 pm

spudmunkey wrote:darn, that looks so good.

And, darn, I need to get a dutch oven...

I bought mine last year and couldn't be happier about it. This pot and my cast iron pan are almost all I use now.

Casual Madman
Gold Carvinite
Gold Carvinite

Postby Casual Madman » Sun Jan 09, 2022 11:57 am

Doctor Doug wrote:Did pulled pork a while back.
I've never been a big fan of it but LOVED this method. Will definitely make it again.

I used to make pulled pork in the crockpot - rough chop an onion, put in the bottom of the pot; apply a good dry rub to the shoulder, into the pot, then pour in some chicken stock-in-a-box to cover. Cook on low for 6-8 hours (I would put mine on before going to work on Saturday and take off when I got home - usually about 10 hours). Take the shoulder out (carefully - it will fall apart) and let rest until cool enough to handle, an hour or two, then shred. Sieve out the onion and save.

Serve with your favorite accoutrements. I like to top mine with a nice vinegary sauce, some of the onions, and cole slaw.

Note: I not not fixed a pork butt this way since I got a good offset smoker. There is NO comparison. :drool:

Return to The Backstage Lounge