Zeus strap balance?

USA Custom Shop Acoustic and Electric Bass Guitars

Moderators: Kevio, ElfDude, JesseM, ChrisH, peb, Mike Jones, Bundy, RockCrue, soundchick

islandbass
Gold Member
Gold Member

Zeus strap balance?

Postby islandbass » Sun Nov 08, 2020 7:54 am

I've been debating between a Zeus and an Osiris, and while I like the Zeus more aesthetically, it looks like the Osiris might balance better because of the upper horn length. Can anyone confirm if the Zeus will have any neck dive? I'd likely order a 5 string. I have back issues and occasionally deal with tendonitis flare ups, so I'm very sensitive to any pull on my shoulder when using a strap. I sadly had to sell my LB76 because of neck dive (it was amazing otherwise.) Thanks for any help!

Note: I did search the forum and didn't find much of an answer.

UnexplodedCow
Gold Carvinite
Gold Carvinite

Re: Zeus strap balance?

Postby UnexplodedCow » Mon Nov 09, 2020 1:33 pm

I have a Z5B with chambered Ash body and a flamed Maple top. The neck is Walnut and Bloodwood. Zero neck dive issues, it balances back toward the bridge. It's not as body-heavy as some guitars might be, but it is sure biased that way in weight; nothing like a traditional bass. That's even with the chambered body, so a solid type will bias toward the body even more.

I have 3 other headless guitars (Vader, Zeus, Osiris) and they all balance toward the body. The upper horn won't hurt anything, but I really enjoy how unobstructive the Zeus body shape is. Nothing in the way, including full upper fret access for giant hands and wide stretches.
We are entitled to our own, wrong, opinions.

Guitar theorem: G=X+1 where G= guitars one needs, and X = guitars one has.

Do or do not; there is no understand.

islandbass
Gold Member
Gold Member

Postby islandbass » Tue Nov 10, 2020 10:55 am

That's great to hear! I'm especially surprised considering the chambered body and neck choices. I would have thought if anything, that would have led to a heavy neck.

How do you feel the chambered body effects the tone? Which pickups and strings are on it?

UnexplodedCow
Gold Carvinite
Gold Carvinite

Postby UnexplodedCow » Tue Nov 10, 2020 4:06 pm

Stock pickups (the Kiesel radius humbuckers) and strings (Dunlop ultra-brite stainless). I don't believe much in tonewoods or chambering affecting plugged-in tone. Maybe a touch of sustain, but the bass sustains well anyway. I doubt much of any difference could be noticed of the chambered body, but it certainly helps it be just a little lighter.
We are entitled to our own, wrong, opinions.

Guitar theorem: G=X+1 where G= guitars one needs, and X = guitars one has.

Do or do not; there is no understand.

GlassToMouth
Gold Member
Gold Member

Postby GlassToMouth » Sat Nov 14, 2020 5:03 am

I have a ZBM4. Pretty light, chambered swamp ash body, 7.5 lbs. Absolutely no neck dive and well balanced sitting or standing. It does absolutely fine with or without a conventional strap. However I now use a Gruv Gear Duo Strap Neo on my Zeus and Vanquish. Despite both basses being light chambered swamp ash, my aging shoulders no longer feel any morning discomfort.

However if an Osiris 4 string multiscale bass were ever introduced (doubtful) it would be next on my wish list. Purely to round out the collection and I love the look. The Zeus is a well designed instrument. My fears of reach due to strap button location were immediately relieved. Jeff seems to be very honest about neck dive. Heck, he even puts a counter weight in the Hyperdrive. The Kiesel family sure knows how to build comfortable instruments.
VM49K Vanquish multiscale 4 string 4/29/2017
ZBM4 Zeus multiscale 4 string 4/21/2020
NBD thread - viewtopic.php?f=11&t=49182&p=632719

Return to Kiesel Basses / Carvin Basses