ZBM6 KRJS Single Coil

USA Custom Shop Acoustic and Electric Bass Guitars

Moderators: Kevio, ElfDude, JesseM, ChrisH, Bundy, RockCrue, soundchick, peb

kosmoburns

ZBM6 KRJS Single Coil

Postby kosmoburns » Sun Jul 11, 2021 7:19 pm

Hey all, I've finally got my ZBM6 in and I've been enjoying most of it. I did a single coil in the neck and a humbucker at the bridge.

The single coil is super noisy. It's hum is louder than my Jazz bass and my Ric.
This is my only 18v bass, so I'm not sure if all that battery power really just intensifies the hum.

Unlike my other basses, the hum stays when I run wireless and is present when I run just through my backbeat (not hooked to a whole rig).

Any one know if this seems pretty normal and I just need to get over it and add a noise gate to my set up?

badmotorfinger74

Re: ZBM6 KRJS Single Coil

Postby badmotorfinger74 » Mon Jul 12, 2021 4:54 am

I can't speak to the KRJS as I didn't have one, but I also found the JVA single coil to be noisy, and the active preamp definitely boosted the buzz (especially with the treble boosted on the preamp). I think the JVA and the KRJS are similar pickups, just in different housings.

My bass has a P/J configuration, so I just swapped pickups and installed an EMG set. I liked the Kiesel pickups, but after years of playing my other bass with very quiet active pickups, I just didn't want to deal with the noise.

kosmoburns

Postby kosmoburns » Wed Jul 21, 2021 6:36 pm

I did my best to make my other J/HH be as noisy as possible and on passive, the Kiesel is still a few hairs higher.
I think in retrospect it may have been better to go full Single/Single, or Humbucker/Humbucker.

I've got a noise gate on the way and some new rotosound strings, I'm pretty confidant that'll spruce it up (If it's still too out there I think I'll switch the single to a humbucker or EMG it up).

Kinda a bummer for the price, but really the woodwork and neck make up for all of it.

Toptube
Gold Carvinite
Gold Carvinite

Postby Toptube » Mon Jul 26, 2021 3:19 pm

kosmoburns wrote:Hey all, I've finally got my ZBM6 in and I've been enjoying most of it. I did a single coil in the neck and a humbucker at the bridge.

The single coil is super noisy. It's hum is louder than my Jazz bass and my Ric.
This is my only 18v bass, so I'm not sure if all that battery power really just intensifies the hum.

Unlike my other basses, the hum stays when I run wireless and is present when I run just through my backbeat (not hooked to a whole rig).

Any one know if this seems pretty normal and I just need to get over it and add a noise gate to my set up?

Kiesel internally shields their pickups, covers their cavities in foil, and grounds the wiring. If the wiring is good, there's no reason the hum should be loud, unless you have a source of noise in your house.

That's not normal. I have tried 2 completely different models of Carvin/Kiesel's Radiused J pickups in my Carvin Icon. Both sets were only audible if I sat right next to my amp, with my ear up against the speaker. And then quickly turned the blend from both pickups (humbucking with both pickups, because reverse wound from eachother), to just one.

I also had it setup for a few months, with a radiused single coil in the neck and a radiused humbucker in the bridge. Same deal, the single coil was basically dead silent. and with that config, the only humbucking mode, was the with the bridge humbucker soloed.

Try plugging your bass in, in different rooms of your house. Its possible you are on a noisey outlet or near a source of noise (dimmer switches, various types of lighting, TVs, etc).

If it doesn't improve in different rooms, then I would assume the wiring is faulty. Maybe a bad solder joint or something.

Trouble is, it can be tough to know which solder joint, without just re-doing it. But I would start with the main pickup connections, the ground wire, and the wiring to the jack.

If that doesn't fix it....I suppose it could be a faulty pickup.

kosmoburns

Postby kosmoburns » Mon Jul 26, 2021 5:54 pm

Thanks!

Yeah I tried different amp, different areas of the house, with a cable and wireless and still got some hefty noise.
I noticed a new problem now being able to totally intonate my B string. Even after chopping the set screw and spring.

It's still super new (we'll say 15 days) and when I described it all they let me ship it back to get looked over. I'll just have to live with waiting for that return (the thing really is a looker) :)

Toptube
Gold Carvinite
Gold Carvinite

Postby Toptube » Mon Jul 26, 2021 10:27 pm

Hey, its great to hear that Kiesel offered to investigate the issue. Please let us know how it all turns out :applause:

badmotorfinger74

Postby badmotorfinger74 » Tue Jul 27, 2021 9:30 am

Hopefully it's something they can fix for you. As Toptube mentioned about the possible issues, I did confirm that my issues were due to fluorescent lighting at home, and stage lighting at church. Again, I just didn't want to deal with it, hence the EMG's.

kosmoburns

Postby kosmoburns » Tue Jul 27, 2021 10:40 am

No lie, based on the old interwebs I wasnt expecting the CS to be as good as it was. A little surprising to get transferred to a few folk, but seemed like they were just doing the diligence.

I did the radiused pick ups, they seem to be an awkward length, so I'm hoping to keep them in it.

I don't mind normal hum, but my main 4 string is a passive J with hot pick ups in it, so I've got some tolerance :lol:

I'll post my results when I get there!

Thanks again for some extra inputs!

Return to Kiesel Basses / Carvin Basses