New model: MJ "Modern J-Bass"

USA Custom Shop Acoustic and Electric Bass Guitars

Moderators: Kevio, ElfDude, JesseM, ChrisH, Bundy, RockCrue, soundchick, peb

spudmunkey
Elite Carvinite
Elite Carvinite

New model: MJ "Modern J-Bass"

Postby spudmunkey » Wed Mar 30, 2022 1:53 pm

A classic bass design seen in Kiesel's JB is getting a contemporary update. The MJ, also known as the Modern J-Bass, removes the iconic pickguard for an unobstructed view of Kiesel's infamously-superior top woods. Other changes to modernize the bass includes a tasteful top bevel for aesthetics and comfort, our greatest variety of pickups options on a bass, and rear-routed controls to accommodate for more flexibility in control configuration.

$1,699

They've offered the JB4/5 with no pickguard (at least as a call-in) but it still retained the control plate which, while pretty traditional, still looked odd to me, mostly because the shape of the plate didn't look purposeful enough to be used alone.

Aesthetics:

- All of the same headstocks are available, but the standard one is different.

- The Modern has a bevel instead of the "drop top" style forearm contour, for both the aesthics of the carve, as well as opportunities for layering finishes/woods.

Function:
- The lack of that pickguard means that there are a few more pickup configurations available.

- The lack of a control plate means that you could, in theory, do more custom control layouts/configs.

- The bevel, while being an aesthetic choice, also may be more or less comfortable for some people...I tend to like them more, but with the rounded edge profile of the normal JB, it's less important to me, personally.

Capture.JPG
Capture2.JPG

They've not yet completed any physical multiscale versions, but a Multiscale 5 is available...just no photos.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post. Please REGISTER or LOG IN.

helldorado
Gold Carvinite
Gold Carvinite

Re: New model: MJ "Modern J-Bass"

Postby helldorado » Wed Mar 30, 2022 3:41 pm

I can't wait for the FB group to start saying that Jeff invented the J-Bass or something. :lol:

I still find it interesting that we have several J shapes for bass, but nothing for guitar. :think:

caluke

Postby caluke » Wed Mar 30, 2022 4:00 pm

At first I was slightly underwhelmed by this - I think the two single coil pickups look pretty out of place without that pickguard.

But with the standard option for a single, music-man style humbucker? That looks pretty sweet.

Here is what I came up with off the top of my head - don't have the funds to order another bass right now, but something like this will be my "daydream" bass for the next couple years.

Screen Shot 2022-03-30 at 6.00.04 PM.png
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post. Please REGISTER or LOG IN.

spudmunkey
Elite Carvinite
Elite Carvinite

Postby spudmunkey » Wed Mar 30, 2022 4:04 pm

That looks great. I'm normally pretty bugged by the black burst on beveled models like the Aries, but it's narrow enough on this that it doesn't look like half the instrument is painted black.

As I slowly learn about bass tone, I find I tend to prefer "neck" pickups more than bridge, but I'd have to go with both. :)

Definitely cool to see so many pickup options. The limitations on the previous models/website seemed so arbitrary sometimes.

caluke

Postby caluke » Thu Mar 31, 2022 10:25 am

spudmunkey wrote:As I slowly learn about bass tone, I find I tend to prefer "neck" pickups more than bridge, but I'd have to go with both. :)

I usually find one setting I like on each instrument and "set and forget." I have 2 jazz basses and they pretty much never leave the "center" pickup blend position, I just use the tone knob to make changes as needed. If I need that warmer sound I usually just play my P bass, which has no other options anyways :).

I have J and P basses already, but I dont have any with music man style pickups, so that is a sound that is currently missing from my arsenal.

spudmunkey
Elite Carvinite
Elite Carvinite

Postby spudmunkey » Wed Apr 13, 2022 11:31 am

Dang, that looks pretty silky...
Capture.JPG

spudmunkey
Elite Carvinite
Elite Carvinite

Postby spudmunkey » Tue May 17, 2022 6:24 pm

The first NGD/NBD I've see for this model:
DM.JPG

DM1.JPG

spudmunkey
Elite Carvinite
Elite Carvinite

Postby spudmunkey » Thu May 19, 2022 2:13 pm

Capture2.JPG

Capture.JPG

Return to Kiesel Basses / Carvin Basses