Hipshot contour trem problem

General Technical Discussion

Moderators: Kevio, ElfDude, JesseM, RockCrue, soundchick, ChrisH, peb, Mike Jones, Bundy

UnexplodedCow
Gold Carvinite
Gold Carvinite

Re: Hipshot contour trem problem

Postby UnexplodedCow » Wed Jan 10, 2018 1:03 pm

Glad this one ended well. Give things time to wear in, and I think you'll be quite happy with how stable the Contour can be.
We are entitled to our own, wrong, opinions.

Guitar theorem: G=X+1 where G= guitars one needs, and X = guitars one has.

Do or do not; there is no understand.

PO0784

Postby PO0784 » Tue Jan 16, 2018 12:50 pm

Hey UnexplodedCow, since you are a user of this trem, does this particular situation happens to you a lot:

I tune the guitar perfectly and use it for like 1 2 hours...gotta retune between everysong or so (it gets +2..+3 sharps on some strings). Whenever I use the trem, I get sharp notes somehow... so I just finish the song and tune it back...

Then if I put it down and take it the next day... surprise! Every string is like +2 +3 sharp.

Still sounds like some binding at the nut right?

UnexplodedCow
Gold Carvinite
Gold Carvinite

Postby UnexplodedCow » Tue Jan 16, 2018 2:00 pm

Yup. That is nut binding, and possibly string slack depending on how you wrap strings. My guitar has sperzels, and I have about .5 to .8 of a wrap on the post, so very little chance for slack. However, my guitars nut was originally cut for 9s, and I use 10s. I had binding in the nut, specifically with G and B strings until I took time to slightly enlarge the slots. That took care of the problem. The contour itself was never a problem. I had nut binding with the wilki, too, and then had knife edge problems, which led me to retrofitting the hipshot in. It's been about 3 years with it in. Best non locker I have ever had.

You may want to take your guitar to a Lucifer (thanks, autocorrect, I really mean luthier) and have them work the nut slots a tad, or if the guitar is still under warranty, Kiesel should do it. Or you can try to wear in the nut yourself if you're handy. Nut lube goes a long way, too (some use nut sauce, I use stuff from Daddario, others use Teflon powder or graphite). It's probably best to try lubing the nut first, and see what happens.
We are entitled to our own, wrong, opinions.

Guitar theorem: G=X+1 where G= guitars one needs, and X = guitars one has.

Do or do not; there is no understand.

Alienadin
Gold Member
Gold Member
Links/Contact:

Postby Alienadin » Tue Feb 13, 2018 8:34 am

What is the situation now?

Didn't Big Bend's Nutsauce remedy the tuning stability issues?

I had horrible issues with my Wilkinson tremolo too, but using the nutsauce on the nuts (LOL) fully remedied that, and tuning stability is as good if not better than my Edge tremolo Ibanez Prestige.

How far can you bend up on the g string btw.?

My next build will have the Kiesel/Hipshot Contoured Tremolo as well, and hearing this makes me antsy.

PO0784

Postby PO0784 » Sun Feb 18, 2018 1:51 am

Hi,

The situation is still problematic. At this point, a good luthier will probably find the culprit... I just need to find a good one. I was always good a setting up floyd rose with 0 problems about tuning. On this guitar, no string slack, bridge seems fine, lube was used everywhere and it still goes out of tune pretty wildly.

My feeling now is that this is "normal" for a 2 point non locking and that I should have just gone with something I was used to : a floyd rose lol. However, seeing lot of big names using those kind of bridges and staying in tune for a long gig, there is definitely something going on. Mystery! :? :stir:

jastylr

Postby jastylr » Sat Sep 05, 2020 4:09 pm

Hey there,

I know this thread is old now but I also have an issue with the pin in my Hipshot trem as well and was wondering if you ever got your tuning issue fully resolved or at least to an acceptable standard? I recently bought a DC-600 off Reverb that was in mint condition but it can’t hold tune to save its life! Whenever I play pretty much anything, I have to constantly retune it.

Unlike the OPs case with the pin being tightly in the hole but offset, the pin on my trem actually moves back and forth as you lower or raise the bridge and it actually came out of the little hole on the side once when I was lowering it and I had to completely remove the trem and stick it back in. The pin floats in the hole loosely and is only held in place by the tension of the trem putting force against the pin and the height adjustment posts. I’m sure this is not how it’s intended to be but I don’t know how much affect this is actually having on the tuning stability. I could imagine that if there’s any unwanted movement at all that the tuning could be compromised. It may also simply be the nut which may need a little filing or are the Kiesel nuts pretty much spot on from the factory? My strings are tightly locked with no more than 1/2-3/4 of a wind and they’ve been thoroughly stretched. I’ve even used 3 different string brands including Elixirs, EB Paradigms and NYXLs which I commonly use on my guitars.

I’m trying to determine whether I need to replace the trem altogether with a new one and whether anyone thinks that will make a difference with my tuning issue or even just the overall trem playability in general? Like I said, the pin is in the slot and doesn’t seem to move while playing, just when I adjust the bridge height. Either way, it’s definitely not tightly fixed in the hole at all. Also this is my first Hipshot trem and I’m assuming there’s only supposed to be one pin which is on the upper part of the bridge near the 6th string where mine is? There isn’t a visible pin or a hole on the other side near the 1st string. I can’t tell what the purpose of this pin is on one side but not required on the other side to begin with.

If anyone has any advice I’d appreciate it! Right now it’s just really not playable or at least enjoyable to play since I must constantly stop to tune. It’s a beautiful guitar and I’d love to make it more of a regular player if I can. I have not yet taken it to a luthier which I would gladly do but wanted to arm myself with enough knowledge from other people’s experiences first.

Thanks

sean.e
Gold Member
Gold Member

Postby sean.e » Sun Sep 06, 2020 6:52 am

No first hand experience, but I thought there were supposed to be 2 pins at the post by the high e string. Check out the rendering here: https://docs.hipshotproducts.com/42100.PDF

jastylr

Postby jastylr » Sun Sep 06, 2020 7:21 am

sean.e wrote:No first hand experience, but I thought there were supposed to be 2 pins at the post by the high e string. Check out the rendering here: https://docs.hipshotproducts.com/42100.PDF

Hey thanks for your reply. I know what you are talking about on the high E side. There are two pointed pins or pieces of metal that stick out perpendicular to the trem and the trem post sits between them.

The pin on the low E side is a long, non-pointed stainless steel pin that goes parallel with the trem and post and I guess was originally press fitted into the small hole on that side. It’s this particular pin on mine that is completely loose and not fitted at all, at least not anymore.

sean.e
Gold Member
Gold Member

Postby sean.e » Mon Sep 07, 2020 5:36 am

sorry, when i read your post yesterday, i didn't see the older messages that clearly explain the problem. i didn't even know the low e part was a pin in a different orientation -- i thought it was a traditional edge/blade part. it doesn't look like hipshot sells those parts in their webstore, so you'll have try contacting them for help. i thought one of the points of the contour was that the pins could be replaced independently of the bridge should they wear out...

jastylr

Postby jastylr » Mon Sep 07, 2020 7:47 am

Thanks again for the reply. Yeah, I’ll have to contact Hipshot and see what they tell me. In the end, this may not have to do anything with my tuning issues and I’ll probably need to bring the guitar to a luthier to check it out.

Return to Tech Talk