Warmest guitar strings?

General Technical Discussion

Moderators: Kevio, ElfDude, JesseM, ChrisH, peb, Mike Jones, Bundy, RockCrue, soundchick

relias7505
Gold Member
Gold Member

Warmest guitar strings?

Postby relias7505 » Sun Sep 27, 2020 9:57 am

What are the warmest guitar strings you can get? I heard nickel and flat wound are the warmest
My Kiesel/Carvin collection: ST300 (M22SD bridge, S60A middle, Twin Blade neck), SCB6 (S22B bridge, S22J neck), Bolt Classic (AP11's in all positions), SH550 (S22T in the neck and bridge), CS3 Goldtop (Parallax bridge and Gambale neck), AC375, CL450 and CC275 12 String.

HarlowTheFish
Carvinite
Carvinite

Re: Warmest guitar strings?

Postby HarlowTheFish » Sun Sep 27, 2020 11:29 am

Pure nickel flats, by far. Something heavier gauge will also warm up the treble and thicken up the low end.

I prefer pure nickel rounds if I'm going for that vibe, because the wound and unwound strings sound a bit more balanced - in a set of flats, the wound strings sound a lot bassier and rounder than the plain strings.

helldorado
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Re: Warmest guitar strings?

Postby helldorado » Mon Sep 28, 2020 9:04 am

Pure nickel is definitely the way to go. Also look for round core vs hex core on your wound strings. Flats will always be warmer, but they can lose too much top end for some and don't bend the same way, so a half-round or polished string can be a good intermediary.

Stringjoy just released their Broadway round core, pure nickel strings. That's a good option, IMO. You'll need to look for some of the boutique brands or those catering to jazz / old school players. Curt Mangan had good options, Pyramid does hand polished, Throbak, DR Pure Blues, etc...

Return to Tech Talk