New P/U vs older Carvin

General Technical Discussion

Moderators: Kevio, ElfDude, JesseM, ChrisH, peb, Mike Jones, Bundy, RockCrue, soundchick

mnissov

New P/U vs older Carvin

Postby mnissov » Thu Apr 22, 2021 3:55 pm

hi,

How do the new pickups compare to the older pickups? I have a swamp ash bolt+ with HSH: C22B - AP11 - C22B.

Thanks,

Morten

ElfDude

Re: New P/U vs older Carvin

Postby ElfDude » Fri Apr 23, 2021 6:55 am

You may find this thread helpful. :)

viewtopic.php?f=1&t=38839
Aries A6H, CS6M, SH445, Contour 66, AE185, DC135, CT4M, Bolt, Bolt T, SH225, LB76F, Nomad, VT16 Head, V410, Pro Bass 100
Midlife Crisis on Facebook
The Tri-Chevys on Facebook

UnexplodedCow
Gold Carvinite
Gold Carvinite

Postby UnexplodedCow » Fri Apr 23, 2021 2:55 pm

Adding to what Elf linked, I'll include my opinion.

The singles just keep getting better. I love the S60 and the AP11....and I think the Lithium single is an improvement on both. Then Mark's single is another newer design I've not encountered.

As for humbuckers; I'm still a fan of the M22V/SD combo; one of my overall favorites, and definitely favorite Carvin branded combo. Kiesel released the M12SD with the new Becker model, which I'm legitimately excited about, and may have to buy one and compare.

Overall, it's nice to see some new designs, and while not all may be to my liking, they're really not bad. I wasn't a fan of the Lithium humbuckers, and haven't encountered any other current models to try, but even without liking those pickups, I will *gladly* take them over anything Seymour Duncan and most DiMarzios.
We are entitled to our own, wrong, opinions.

Guitar theorem: G=X+1 where G= guitars one needs, and X = guitars one has.

Do or do not; there is no understand.

spudmunkey
Elite Carvinite
Elite Carvinite

Postby spudmunkey » Fri Apr 23, 2021 4:07 pm

mnissov wrote:How do the new pickups compare to the older pickups?

To more broadly answer your question:
1) They all still seem to split very very well.
2) They still use the same wire color arrangement, so they are color-for-color direct swaps for older Carvin-era pickups.
3) They seem to be slightly larger, and may not fit in the older tight-fitting routes (especially the direct-mount routes like in the early DC727, Bolt Plus models, etc, and especially especially before they came out with the S22 covered pickups, where they slightly enlarged all of the routes and squared off the corners.
3) It seems like most of the newer pickups are seemingly designed with more clarity/articulation in mind, being able to stand up to modern high-gain without turning to mush. I've got limited experience with their older pickups, but my S22 pickups (basically covered versions of the C22 pickups) do get a bit mushy when I'm trying to bring da brootalz.

I have the S22 in my CS6, and I have a Lithium bridge in my Aries. In my personal opinion, the S22 is juuuust a little soft around the edges for the tones I like to play with, and the Lithium is just a bit too honky for me. These two guitars are also different in every way (scale length, neck construction, woods, controls, bridges the older CS6 doesn't have the carbon fiber rods...basically they only share stainless frets), though, so take that into consideration.

I have the Beryllium set in my SH6, and to me, it's a really great balance between the Lithium and the S22, at least in the bridge (My aries is HSS, so I only have the bridge Lithium humbucker) . It retains most of the articulation of the Lithium bridge, but has just a bit more of the "rich/warm" tone that one might get from a more vintage-type pickup. To reinforce that line of thinking (that it's a great blend of vintage and modern), the Beryllium pickups are the standard pickups in body the Les Paul-style, Strat-Style and PRS-style guitars (CS, Delos, CT, respectively) but then are also the standard pickups in the multiscale headless Chris Letchford (from Scale the Summit)'s signature model.

If you're talking about 6-string/straight scale pickups, there's quite a few options now:
Lithium set
Beryllium set
Thorium bridge
M12SD bridge (the new 12-pole version of the old 22-pole M22SD), first released in the Jason Becker Yin Yang guitar
Allan Holdsworth set
Lee McKinney "Illusionist" bridge
Greg Howe "Parallax" bridge (HP12B)
Frank Gambale FG12 neck (KF12N)
Polatiry set (active)

If you haven't seen it already, here's a pickup comparison video that includes the models above where I've put the names in bold:
https://youtu.be/ogzBtbJCQho

Return to Tech Talk