Delos With a Wilkinson

General Technical Discussion

Moderators: Kevio, ElfDude, JesseM, ChrisH, Bundy, RockCrue, soundchick, peb

drewriviera1

Delos With a Wilkinson

Postby drewriviera1 » Tue Jun 15, 2021 10:21 am

Hello,
First post here. I used to own a Bolt with a Wilkinson on it and loved it....I regret selling it, but I had to have the money at the time.

I picked up a Wilkinson VS100 convertible recently and would like to have a Delos made in the same style as my old Bolt. I know they will not make them with a Wilkinson now but I would like to put mine on (especially since it is the convertible model of the VS100). I know the VS100 I have is the same dimensions as a regular VS50/100.

Does anyone know if a Wilkinson will fit in a Delos?

And yes, I know Hipshot and Gotoh are good options, I just like the Wilkinson. I would also like to get the Delos with a Floyd, but I know they won't make it with that either....

Thank you in advance.

spudmunkey
Elite Carvinite
Elite Carvinite

Re: Delos With a Wilkinson

Postby spudmunkey » Tue Jun 15, 2021 11:21 am

I don't have an answer on the trem swap, but a suggestion: a GH3 is actually much more like the Bolt's body, it's just got the lower horn pulled back 2 frets. I *believe* it even still comes with the pre-GT inline headstock. Still doesn't come with the Wilky, but the body was based on the bolt.

helldorado
Gold Carvinite
Gold Carvinite

Postby helldorado » Tue Jun 15, 2021 12:23 pm

I'd almost wonder if they are interchangeable given the measurements. I have no first hand experience as I only have a guitar with the VS100, but I was under the impression they were both able to be direct swap replacements for the standard Fender American two point tremolo.

2021-06-15_14-17-42.jpg

2021-06-15_14-18-09.jpg
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post. Please REGISTER or LOG IN.

drewriviera1

Postby drewriviera1 » Wed Jun 16, 2021 11:26 am

Thank you for the comments.

I did look at the Greg Howe model and it is very interesting. I see where it basically a Bolt. My only issue is just a personal preference thing, I don’t really care for the 24 fret thing and the pulled back horn. It looks a little off to me, but I am old fashioned I guess you could say. It kind of scrunches the pickups into a small area.

Also thank you for posting the dimensions of the two tremolos.

spudmunkey
Elite Carvinite
Elite Carvinite

Postby spudmunkey » Wed Jun 16, 2021 11:40 am

It also seems like since you're switching *from* the Gotoh, that even if the stud spacing was .4mm off, the Wilkinson's right side knife edge is straight, allowing for a slight bit of side-to-side flexibility in placement. If you were going from the Wilky *TO* a Gotoh, you might have to reposition the posts, based on those two drawings.

drewriviera1

Postby drewriviera1 » Fri Jun 18, 2021 8:09 am

Quick question. I know if you get the Gotoh they deck the tremolo. Is it possible to float it a little bit like a strat? Or would it bring the strings too high? I’m not talking about like a recessed Floyd, I mean like my old Bolt, the tremolo was floating and maybe had a half step of pull back on it.

HarlowTheFish
Carvinite
Carvinite

Postby HarlowTheFish » Fri Jun 18, 2021 9:58 am

drewriviera1 wrote:Quick question. I know if you get the Gotoh they deck the tremolo. Is it possible to float it a little bit like a strat? Or would it bring the strings too high? I’m not talking about like a recessed Floyd, I mean like my old Bolt, the tremolo was floating and maybe had a half step of pull back on it.

Yeah, that's super doable -- IIRC, on a 24 fret Delos (and on pretty much all their other guitars) they will always recess and float the trem, like a Floyd or one of the Music Man JP models, whereas on the 22-fret Delos with a Gotoh, it's flat-mounted like on a Strat. Still floatable for maybe a step of pullup tops, but realistically not more than that.

spudmunkey
Elite Carvinite
Elite Carvinite

Postby spudmunkey » Fri Jun 18, 2021 10:21 am

Correct: all trems are floating except if all of these conditions are met:
1: Delos
2: Gotoh
3: 22 fret

If you get all 3, it won't have a pull-up route.

If it's missing any of those, it's floating.

...however I don't know enough about trem or Kiesel geometry to know if, on the Delos, if there's room to set it up to tilt it forward.

HarlowTheFish
Carvinite
Carvinite

Postby HarlowTheFish » Fri Jun 18, 2021 7:53 pm

spudmunkey wrote:Correct: all trems are floating except if all of these conditions are met:
1: Delos
2: Gotoh
3: 22 fret

If you get all 3, it won't have a pull-up route.

If it's missing any of those, it's floating.

...however I don't know enough about trem or Kiesel geometry to know if, on the Delos, if there's room to set it up to tilt it forward.

If there isn't it's literally a 5-minute job while restringing to stick a shim in the neck pocket and suddenly you have an extra 1-4mm (depending on the shim angle) to work with just by raising the posts and floating it parallel to the top.

Return to Tech Talk