Adding Trem

General Technical Discussion

Moderators: Kevio, ElfDude, JesseM, ChrisH, Bundy, RockCrue, soundchick, peb

Britbits

Adding Trem

Postby Britbits » Sat Sep 11, 2021 4:26 pm

Bought an HH2 from GC to try out
It has the “ J Custom “ bridge
Is is fairly easy to install the hip shot trem to this?

spudmunkey
Elite Carvinite
Elite Carvinite

Re: Adding Trem

Postby spudmunkey » Sat Sep 11, 2021 4:58 pm

Britbits wrote:Bought an HH2 from GC to try out
It has the “ J Custom “ bridge
Is is fairly easy to install the hip shot trem to this?

Well, it's for sure not a "drop in" replacement. The JCustom trem doesn't even have a rear route. It has one beefy spring attached directly to it, and it's all in the top, similar to a Kahler.

The Hipshot is more like any strat/floyd trem, where there's a block, a trem claw, etc.

So no matter what, it's pretty major surgery, needing a massive route in the rear.

Now...I'm not sure if routing is considered "easy" for you...like I said it's major surgery, but with a template jig, it's straightforward if you are used to that sort of thing.

Going to the next step, if you'd still consider that 'fairly easy'...I'm not sure. Is the main part of the bridge body recessed? the Hipshot trem is smaller in some areas, so you'd have un-used routed area over by the treble side post. The overall width is narrower too, so it'd look like an over-sized route or an under-sized trem.
Untitled-1.jpg
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post. Please REGISTER or LOG IN.

spudmunkey
Elite Carvinite
Elite Carvinite

Postby spudmunkey » Sat Sep 11, 2021 5:05 pm

OK, so doing a little more digging, here's a photo of what the JCustom trem route looks like.. It seems larger in width, and also deeper than the Hipshot trem route would be. I'd worry that the trem post wouldn't be sticking deep enough into solid wood, with the trem being at the proper height. You might have to glue in a solid block of wood to drill into so that, say, a 1" post isn't only anchored into wood by, like, it's bottom 1/4". I'll note that I've never done this, so it's all just what I'm thinking from looking at the photos.

Untitled-1.jpg
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post. Please REGISTER or LOG IN.

Britbits

Postby Britbits » Sat Sep 11, 2021 10:46 pm

That was going to be my next question- if a JCustom trem would fit in. It sounds do- able but difficult
Prolly better to buy an HH2 with trem already installed from factory?

spudmunkey
Elite Carvinite
Elite Carvinite

Postby spudmunkey » Sat Sep 11, 2021 10:50 pm

I know someone here did that mod (JCustom fixed to JCustom trem), but From what I understand, just getting a trem itself may be a little tricky.

Return to Tech Talk