Twinblade Replacement Options

General Technical Discussion

Moderators: Kevio, ElfDude, JesseM, soundchick, peb, ChrisH, Bundy, RockCrue

SpaceJam_44

Twinblade Replacement Options

Postby SpaceJam_44 » Sun Feb 27, 2022 8:17 am

Hi All,

I recently acquired a Carvin TLB60 that's in really great shape--a stroke of luck for a GC purchase. It currently has a 3 Twinblade configuration, and I was curious if any aftermarket pickups would fit in the same pick guard template? The Twinblades seem to have unique dimensions--2 5/8" across the bobbin and 3" center to center for the adjustment screws. I can't seem to find any tele or strat pickups that are similar. I haven't taken the whole thing apart yet to see how they're mounted, but the height adjustment is a nice feature. I'd like to keep it even after a pickup swap.

OF course, this will beg the question--"Why change them?" Mainly it would be to add some richness and depth to clean tones (as well as increase the output a bit.) They sound fantastic distorted. Thanks!
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post. Please REGISTER or LOG IN.

helldorado
Gold Carvinite
Gold Carvinite

Re: Twinblade Replacement Options

Postby helldorado » Mon Feb 28, 2022 9:56 am

I *think* like the Bolt, the TLB60 uses a Fender compatible pickguard. Kiesel used the vintage 11-hole design on those models, so a modern 11-hole pickguard has the screw by the middle pickguard in a slightly different location. It's a non-issue, as each design covers up the non-used hole of the other.

If that's the case, you could just get a pre-wired pickguard and swap that out. Eliminates any questions of pickup dimensions and if you decide to go back to the twinblades or sell the guitar, it's an easy swap back to stock.

I would get somebody else to confirm that assumption though. I'm not 100% certain if it's true, I just know they tend to reuse parts / dimensions where possible.

spudmunkey
Elite Carvinite
Elite Carvinite

Postby spudmunkey » Mon Feb 28, 2022 1:20 pm

You're right abut the difference between a Strat and a Bolt, but the TLB60's pickguard was a different outline shape compared to a strat one, most specifically in the lower horn area.

That said, both pickguards should be able to handle any "standard" sized single coil pickup. I don't *believe* I've heard of any issues there. These pickups are the one pickup kiesel/Carvin sells/sold that weren't their own in-house design, they are meant as replacement pickups, and use the same holes as the AP11 which were often used as upgrade pickups in Strats.

ElfDude

Postby ElfDude » Thu Mar 03, 2022 6:58 am

You probably knew this, but those aren't Carvin twinblades in there.
Aries A6H, CS6M, SH445, Contour 66, AE185, DC135, CT4M, Bolt, Bolt T, SH225, LB76F, Nomad, VT16 Head, V410, Pro Bass 100
Midlife Crisis on Facebook
The Tri-Chevys on Facebook

spudmunkey
Elite Carvinite
Elite Carvinite

Postby spudmunkey » Thu Mar 03, 2022 8:50 am

ElfDude wrote:You probably knew this, but those aren't Carvin twinblades in there.

Oh, dang. nice catch. :lol:

UnexplodedCow
Gold Carvinite
Gold Carvinite

Postby UnexplodedCow » Fri Mar 04, 2022 10:00 pm

Those look like Wilde L45s. If that's the case, I would not change for anything. Those are extremely clear-sounding pickups. Some might find them bright, and their output is not like a typical Duncan single-size hum, or the TBH60, but I think they're superior; certainly better noise rejection.
We are entitled to our own, wrong, opinions.

Guitar theorem: G=X+1 where G= guitars one needs, and X = guitars one has.

Do or do not; there is no understand.

2Plus2isChicken
Gold Carvinite
Gold Carvinite

Postby 2Plus2isChicken » Mon Jun 13, 2022 1:37 pm

I wonder if that is actually a stock Carvin pickguard. Normally you'll see them with a volume and tone knob and a coil split switch instead of a second tone knob.

Personally I enjoy the sound of the DiMarzio Injector and two Area '67 pickups I have in my old Strat. That's all I can suggest for a three single-coil configuration but they sound good to me. I like TwinBlades as well but not as much as Carvin's full-sized humbuckers.
Guitars:
2x Carvin Bolt
DC145
AE185
Ibanez RG1570
Ibanez RGA42FMLBLF
2x Fender MIM Strat
Ovation Celebrity

Amps:
VT16
Quilter Tone Block 201
Quilter Overdrive 200
Fender Super Champ XD
Carvin Legacy II 2 x 12 cab

spudmunkey
Elite Carvinite
Elite Carvinite

Postby spudmunkey » Mon Jun 13, 2022 1:51 pm

2Plus2isChicken wrote:I wonder if that is actually a stock Carvin pickguard. Normally you'll see them with a volume and tone knob and a coil split switch instead of a second tone knob.

Actually, I think you're right...but not even due to the controls. Carvin's "Black" pickguards in this era were always 3-layer black/white/black. Not all-black like this TLB60.

relias7505
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Postby relias7505 » Sun Jul 03, 2022 3:34 pm

UnexplodedCow wrote:Those look like Wilde L45s. If that's the case, I would not change for anything. Those are extremely clear-sounding pickups. Some might find them bright, and their output is not like a typical Duncan single-size hum, or the TBH60, but I think they're superior; certainly better noise rejection.

Wilde pickups are pretty good
My Kiesel/Carvin collection: ST300 (M22SD bridge, S60A middle, Twin Blade neck), SCB6 (S22B bridge, S22J neck), Bolt Classic (AP11's in all positions), SH550 (S22T in the neck and bridge), CS3 Goldtop (Beryllium bridge and Gambale neck), AC375, CL450 and CC275 12 String.

Return to Tech Talk