CS3 Options

USA Custom Shop Acoustic and Electric Guitars

Moderators: Kevio, ElfDude, JesseM, ChrisH, peb, Mike Jones, Bundy, RockCrue, soundchick

Tony PD

CS3 Options

Postby Tony PD » Tue Dec 08, 2020 8:38 pm

I am close to ordering a CS3. I've pretty much got the options figured out, except for two:

-Pickups: I'm leaning toward the standard Beryllium, but the Holdsworth, Lithium, and Greg Howe (bridge only) are no cost options. How do they compare? (And no, the pickup guide is not much help.)

-IVN - Ivory Graph Tech TUSQ Nut: Yay or Nay? (I'm leaning toward yes.)

spudmunkey
Elite Carvinite
Elite Carvinite

Re: CS3 Options

Postby spudmunkey » Tue Dec 08, 2020 8:59 pm

The nut is the same material as their standard black nut, just white. So it's 100% just about the aesthetics. I get that some people are just used to seeing white nuts on most straws, etc, so it's what some folks are just used to.

As for pickups, i can only speak to the Lithium bridge, and the beryllium pair. I personally prefer the berylliums as an all-around pickup.

ElfDude

Postby ElfDude » Wed Dec 09, 2020 6:28 am

And I can't speak to the berylliums, but have a lot of experience with Lithiums and Holdsworths.

Before I make any comments I'd like to know what kind of music you plan on making with this guitar. What sort of pickup tones are you after? Bright? Mellow? Loud? Vintage? Twang?
Aries A6H, CS6M, SH445, Contour 66, AE185, DC135, CT4M, Bolt, Bolt T, SH225, LB76F, Nomad, VT16 Head, V410, Pro Bass 100
Midlife Crisis on Facebook
The Tri-Chevys on Facebook

Doctor Doug
Gold Carvinite
Gold Carvinite
Links/Contact:

Postby Doctor Doug » Wed Dec 09, 2020 7:17 am

Pickups are always an easy swap. Even if you end up not being a huge fan, it's easy to change them out.
facebook.com/hamfistrocks

MarshallTSL
Gold Carvinite
Gold Carvinite

Postby MarshallTSL » Tue Dec 22, 2020 9:06 am

I went with Berylliums for my build in Oct. I like the Lithiums (I have them on 3 guitars), but I wanted something a little more balanced towards the mids but could still cut through.

Tony PD wrote:I am close to ordering a CS3. I've pretty much got the options figured out, except for two:

-Pickups: I'm leaning toward the standard Beryllium, but the Holdsworth, Lithium, and Greg Howe (bridge only) are no cost options. How do they compare? (And no, the pickup guide is not much help.)
CS3x MIDI Candy Apple Red (on order), Icon 5 Spalted Flamed Maple, Solo 6x Burl Walnut, Aries A6X Blue Hawaii Quilt Maple, Aries A6X Crimson Flamed Redwood, SH65 Master Grade Ziricote, TL60C Black Cherry Quilt, HH2 Claro Walnut, CT6 Deep Blue Quilt

Tony PD

Postby Tony PD » Sat Jan 02, 2021 8:09 am

ElfDude wrote:And I can't speak to the berylliums, but have a lot of experience with Lithiums and Holdsworths.

Before I make any comments I'd like to know what kind of music you plan on making with this guitar. What sort of pickup tones are you after? Bright? Mellow? Loud? Vintage? Twang?

I'm into mostly hard rock (Sabbath, Zeppelin, Purple, Rush, King's X), if that's any help.

Berylliums: Alnico 2, standard on CS,CT, D6 guitars, more "vintage" (?) tone.
Lithiums: Alnico 5, standard on most of the other 24 fret guitars, higher output, more "modern" (?) tone.

I was leaning toward the Berylliums. Now I'm not so sure. I might go with the Lithiums.

amispy
Carvinite
Carvinite

Postby amispy » Sat Jan 02, 2021 9:43 am

Tony PD wrote: I'm into mostly hard rock (Sabbath, Zeppelin, Purple, Rush, King's X), if that's any help.

Two Berylliums are going to be better for you than 2 Lithiums. If you want something a little hotter, than go for an Illusionist in the bridge and Beryllium in the neck.
AE185, 2 x A6H, AB5, Bolt, Cobalt 750T, DC200T, 2 x DC7X, D6H, 2 x D6X, JB200C, JH6, LB75, PB5, V220M, KV6X, 2 x V59K

MarshallTSL
Gold Carvinite
Gold Carvinite

Postby MarshallTSL » Wed Jan 06, 2021 3:55 pm

I just ordered a CS3 with Berrylliums.
CS3x MIDI Candy Apple Red (on order), Icon 5 Spalted Flamed Maple, Solo 6x Burl Walnut, Aries A6X Blue Hawaii Quilt Maple, Aries A6X Crimson Flamed Redwood, SH65 Master Grade Ziricote, TL60C Black Cherry Quilt, HH2 Claro Walnut, CT6 Deep Blue Quilt

spudmunkey
Elite Carvinite
Elite Carvinite

Postby spudmunkey » Wed Jan 06, 2021 4:56 pm

MarshallTSL wrote:I just ordered a CS3 with Berrylliums.

I really dig them in my SH6. Are they a "les paul" pickup? Not really, but I like what they got goin' on, and I like to play a lot of "dad rock". :lol:

relias7505
Gold Member
Gold Member

Postby relias7505 » Wed Jan 13, 2021 3:23 am

I have a CS3 Goldtop and it originally had the Parallax in the bridge and Gambale in the neck. Love the Gambale pickup but the Greg Howe Parallax not a fan. It is basically a low output Lithium. If your a fan then I would recommend it but I swapped it out for a Beryllium in the bridge. I am a happy camper! It seems like with your musical choices I would go with Beryllium’s all around or with the combo I have.
My Kiesel/Carvin collection: ST300 (M22SD bridge, S60A middle, Twin Blade neck), SCB6 (S22B bridge, S22J neck), Bolt Classic (AP11's in all positions), SH550 (S22T in the neck and bridge), CS3 Goldtop (Beryllium bridge and Gambale neck), AC375, CL450 and CC275 12 String.

relias7505
Gold Member
Gold Member

Postby relias7505 » Wed Jan 13, 2021 3:27 am

Also YouTube the Kiesel pickup comparison video to hear the Holdsworth pickups. I like the sound I was hearing with those too.
My Kiesel/Carvin collection: ST300 (M22SD bridge, S60A middle, Twin Blade neck), SCB6 (S22B bridge, S22J neck), Bolt Classic (AP11's in all positions), SH550 (S22T in the neck and bridge), CS3 Goldtop (Beryllium bridge and Gambale neck), AC375, CL450 and CC275 12 String.

Return to Kiesel Guitars / Carvin Guitars