Kiesel GL- why not?

USA Custom Shop Acoustic and Electric Guitars

Moderators: Kevio, ElfDude, JesseM, ChrisH, Bundy, RockCrue, soundchick, peb

marzzz
Gold Member
Gold Member

Kiesel GL- why not?

Postby marzzz » Sat Apr 03, 2021 12:25 am

Thinking about how Kiesel has really taken the lead on building headless guitars it would be great if they made something like the old Steinberger GL. They are practically there with the Vader, it would be just a matter of making the small body. How about it?

I would love one for an ultimate travel guitar. Any reason why they couldn't?

helldorado
Gold Carvinite
Gold Carvinite

Re: Kiesel GL- why not?

Postby helldorado » Sat Apr 03, 2021 2:13 pm

I think it's the natural conclusion of headless guitar design, for anybody who wants a super small or travel friendly guitar.

But honestly, I would never buy one, I think headless guitars are small and weird looking to begin with. :lol:

HarlowTheFish
Carvinite
Carvinite

Postby HarlowTheFish » Sat Apr 03, 2021 3:32 pm

Having played a few of the paddle headlesses, and being a current owner of a CL6 and a Strandberg Boden, I gotta say hell no those things are super uncomfortable and balance worse than an SG. I appreciate the travel guitar logic, but how much bigger is something like a Vader, realistically? The horns aren't going to add length, it's really not that much wider, and in exchange you get something that's actually functional instead of finicky.

Nombrecomun
Gold Member
Gold Member

Postby Nombrecomun » Sat Apr 03, 2021 4:15 pm

I get the compact aspect of it. Great travel guitar. My Vader travelled really well on an international flight. No problem.

I would be into these if they came with their TransTrem.

marzzz
Gold Member
Gold Member

Postby marzzz » Sat Apr 03, 2021 4:51 pm

Way, waaay back when I did have a Steinberger GL, it was actually a pretty cool little guitar though its tone was a bit too "even." It had the little flip out stand and I had no trouble playing it seated:

The Trans-Trem was a bit of a biatch to keep calibrated, though- I was OK with just the regular locking trem and would probably prefer the current Hipshot bridge (though it would be great if they added a locking function). Having traveled with a GL, the really small shape is an advantage, but I can understand people not liking it because it was so non-traditional.

Steinberger does currently make a GT-Pro, but I have heard bad report regarding its build quality.

Would like Kiesel to show them how it's done...

spudmunkey
Elite Carvinite
Elite Carvinite

Postby spudmunkey » Sat Apr 03, 2021 7:46 pm

144668166_1370924316578412_6998140394738124888_n.jpg
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post. Please REGISTER or LOG IN.

amon
Gold Carvinite
Gold Carvinite

Postby amon » Sun Apr 04, 2021 12:29 am

Nombrecomun wrote:I would be into these if they came with their TransTrem.

The steps get worn over time, if you actually use the transposing feature, and it doesn't want to stay seated anymore. The counter-tension of the single spring doesn't like to line up with the zero position unless you use the gauge of strings that are specifically made for the transposing feature.

HarlowTheFish
Carvinite
Carvinite

Postby HarlowTheFish » Sun Apr 04, 2021 1:13 am

spudmunkey wrote:144668166_1370924316578412_6998140394738124888_n.jpg

To paraphrase OSG, where I've been spending a lot of time lately:

"Pretty, but needs tort"

:wall: tort :wall: is :wall: awful :wall:

OotMagroot
Gold Carvinite
Gold Carvinite

Postby OotMagroot » Wed May 05, 2021 3:11 pm

I preferred the Steiny GS look......which basically looks like a Vader, so there ya go (although I wish the Vader was bolt-on).

I've been playing the headless Eart guitars as of late - GREAT headless guitars for the money - especially after a few upgrades.

I've been pondering a "Spirit" Steinberger that I can put an EMG 89/SA/89 set in.

Return to Kiesel Guitars / Carvin Guitars